• Sep 7th, 2020 12:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Too Much Exercise?

Is exercising 7 days a week (for ~1 hour each time) too much?

During this ~1 hour, ~20 minutes of the time is in my fat burn heart rate zone, ~20 minutes of the time is in my cardio zone, and ~20 minutes is in my peak/strenuous zone.

My resting heart rate hasn't gone up which I've read is the first indication of exercising too much and not giving the body enough time to recover.
11 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12368 posts
11266 upvotes
In general no

But don’t over do it with the weights cause they need time to grow.

Cardio you can do everyday
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1190 posts
1068 upvotes
Those heart rate zones are pretty useless. They only possibly have benefits for elite athletes who have had their true max HR lab tested.

An hour a day even at your max won't be too much by any stretch.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thanks for the replies.

After doing it for a few weeks, I felt like I needed a break and wasn't sure if I was overdoing it or just the standard being lazy/fatigue which is how I normally feel before exercising or at the beginning of my exercise routine. By the middle/end of the workout, I feel fine.
Mar 1, 2020
844 posts
236 upvotes
GTA West
No not too much, I run/bike 6-7x/ wk and I run more in miles weekly than I drive my vehicle monthly these days... The only thing I would caution you to be on the lookout for is "burnout"... you can give yourself a "recovery" day if you want to... I don't run everyday for example, my joints/knees will take a beating with my >50 mile/wk logs....
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6574 posts
6048 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: Is exercising 7 days a week (for ~1 hour each time) too much?

During this ~1 hour, ~20 minutes of the time is in my fat burn heart rate zone, ~20 minutes of the time is in my cardio zone, and ~20 minutes is in my peak/strenuous zone.

My resting heart rate hasn't gone up which I've read is the first indication of exercising too much and not giving the body enough time to recover.
I wouldn't classify an hour a day of activity as too much. Listen to your body, it knows better than anyone else what you need, more than doctors and especially more than online strangers.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5935 posts
1047 upvotes
Calgary
Depending on what you are doing. For example, HIIT should not be done 7 days a week.
Apr 25, 2020
196 posts
62 upvotes
I guess no, you're not over-exercising. Cardio can be done daily.
Sep 15, 2017
17 posts
4 upvotes
it really depends on the person, there is such a thing as over exercise - you will know it. don't intellectuallize it and you can feel it.

to get stronger the body needs to repair and rest. it is the ebb and flow of things, so if you always ebb and not flow...you will **** yourself up long-term. you can play to the limit - edge of exercise - edge of rest (proper nurtirtion HELPS ALOT with recovery and thus more training - but we are talking about olympic level world class level so unlikely)

for normal folks - maintenance with increase intensity after 1 week of same/acclimation should be enough growth
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5866 posts
1348 upvotes
rural ontario
Depends on your age also, youngsters can recover faster and take more muscle stress then older folks. but even then, time off to allow recovery is good.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
That Popeye sure had some big forearms.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)