• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2018 4:30 pm
[OP]
Jan 8, 2013
56 posts
5 upvotes
OAKVILLE

Too much water in backyard

Guys, our house is somewhat lower in our neighbourhood, also a couple of guys have a pool (not sure if that has anything). However my backyard is always slushy year round, except when the slush freezes in winter. Spring thaw is even worst, you can't step without your feet going 2 inch deep in the mud.

I have attached a picture. I have no clue how to fix it. Any of you guys have any tips, would a general contractor know what to do, landscaper, pool guys, no idea who is the right professional to solve something like this.

cheers
Haider
Images
  • 20180225_105214-01.jpeg
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2988 posts
1234 upvotes
What age is your house / neighbourhood, and what is the street plan layout like? Are there any rear yard catchbasins? and where does your yard generally slope to? maybe photograph your entire yard looking back from the house, and looking from one fence to the other. And yes, it is possible your neighbours pools have obliterated tile drains (depending on age of homes)
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Jan 8, 2013
56 posts
5 upvotes
OAKVILLE
It was built in 2008 so fairly new. The fence grade is higher than where water collects, right in the middle. I am thinking of calling the city as well, I a in Oakville. I have a feeling some of my neighbors may have done some modifications in conflict with city codes, particularly folks with pools, as an example, there doesn't seem to be a catchbasin at rear, I would assume something built in 2008 would have sorted stuff like that out. I will post a picture.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8950 posts
1895 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
If you are having year round problems, then definitely something wrong. If it is just this time of year, with the thaw and all the rain, then it is expected. The ground is still frozen underneath so there is nowhere for the water to go. Don't go walking out in the backyard as you will obviously sink in mud.

If the middle of your yard is lower than the fence line, then likely something was done incorrectly as there should be a way for the water to reach a catch basin at the rear or alog the side to the front., especially in a newer subdivision.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2988 posts
1234 upvotes
You should be able to identify of rough broad trough, and in your case it may run side to side in your yard, carrying surface runoff to one or more of the lots on either side of you. If that is the case, you can clearly figure out how dumping an in ground pool smack dab in the middle would mess that up. You also have to look at where the natural lowest part of your lot is? clearly not at the back? is it mid fence line? right side? left side? I would guess there is a big pool in the way, and nothing was done to modify the grading.

See if there is a grading plan for your lot, and the neighbours lots
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Feb 29, 2016
35 posts
11 upvotes
French drain will correct that issue for the most part provided the water is diverted without causing issues with neighbors or the municipality rules and the landscaping options allow for sloping away from where the water is pooling.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6779 posts
3076 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Any other neighbours have similar issues?
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16511 posts
18070 upvotes
Oakville
Where abouts in Oakville are you?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2013
56 posts
5 upvotes
OAKVILLE
georvu wrote: Any other neighbours have similar issues?
My immediate neighbour had similar issue and he had to get some soil dumped on his property to raise it a bit. I might have to call the city to see the grading plan.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6779 posts
3076 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
hkazmi wrote: My immediate neighbour had similar issue and he had to get some soil dumped on his property to raise it a bit. I might have to call the city to see the grading plan.
Yeah, I think if others having similar issues then possible grading issue?? Ask few more neighbours.

Would insufficient compacting cause this... just wondering??

Do you have french drains or similar?

Gutters properly done and water going away from house at all sides?
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2013
56 posts
5 upvotes
OAKVILLE
georvu wrote: Yeah, I think if others having similar issues then possible grading issue?? Ask few more neighbours.

Would insufficient compacting cause this... just wondering??

Do you have french drains or similar?

Gutters properly done and water going away from house at all sides?
I moved here last year, however I don't think I have french drains, I am assuming if I had, the water wouldn't be clogging in.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2988 posts
1234 upvotes
hkazmi wrote: I moved here last year, however I don't think I have french drains, I am assuming if I had, the water wouldn't be clogging in.
Unless they happened to be obliterated by construction of an inground pool.

My parents had drainage issues, and that was exactly the cause, linear french drains located mid rear lot before the craze of building in ground pools got started.
Mar 19, 2013
696 posts
209 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Here is my thoughts. You have water in your backyard constantly. You may be or are a low spot in your neighbourhood. Changes in your grade may improve or eliminate the problem. I think being concerned about the neighbors will not end well, regardless of who is legally right or not. First step is to look at what you can do. Without more pictures, my suggestions are just guessing. A slight change in your grade may help.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1397 posts
409 upvotes
Brampton
I would get a landscaper, get them to remove the grass, add soil and roll with proper equipment to fix grade and get them to re-sod.
Jan 13, 2012
246 posts
36 upvotes
dealerguy wrote: I would get a landscaper, get them to remove the grass, add soil and roll with proper equipment to fix grade and get them to re-sod.
This is what I would do as well. I say this, because it's what I did in my yard. I didn't ask anyone, or screw over any neighbours. I just graded it away from my house at the sides and back, and now the water stays away from my house.

Now the water stays in between properties, and it doesn't drain into anyone's yard. I did it myself, so all it cost was the soil. Cheap fix.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2013
56 posts
5 upvotes
OAKVILLE
dealerguy wrote: I would get a landscaper, get them to remove the grass, add soil and roll with proper equipment to fix grade and get them to re-sod.
That might be the last resort, it may be tricky as I have a deck in the yard, plus a sprinkler system. Interestingly I had kept this zone turned off past summer, it had enough water already and still slushy without sprinkler adding more water :)