• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 10:45 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2277 posts
440 upvotes

Tool option to use for cutting Apple wood

I have a small cart full of dried apple wood logs that I use for smoke on our bbq. I use full logs for wood burning pizza, but for all else I want to cut these into small chunks to smoke.

Suggestions on the cheapest/effective option in a tool? I literally have nothing at home like a vice to make this easier on me, so looking at suggestions without spending too much cash.
31 replies
Feb 12, 2017
54 posts
42 upvotes
Calgary
When I have small wood chunks and need chips for smoking, I just stand the blocks with the grain running vertically on a flat sided block (stump) and split them with an axe. When the piece I am chopping is narrow, I just hold it up other with other wood that has not been chopped yet. I only make a small amount of chips at a time so this works for me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2277 posts
440 upvotes
Kevin3840 wrote: When I have small wood chunks and need chips for smoking, I just stand the blocks with the grain running vertically on a flat sided block (stump) and split them with an axe. When the piece I am chopping is narrow, I just hold it up other with other wood that has not been chopped yet. I only make a small amount of chips at a time so this works for me.
the axe option hasn't worked out for me, these logs are fairly thin, not too easy to get a hold of for me. Not a typical sized log like firewood, etc. Outside of a small chainsaw, thinking maybe a reciprocating saw would work
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8697 posts
5623 upvotes
Kootenays
An electric mitre saw would be my suggestion.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2277 posts
440 upvotes
smacd wrote: An electric mitre saw would be my suggestion.
trying to go the el cheapo route, bought a reciprocating saw at HD, seems to do okay for one or two logs at a time
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

Small logs - as in large/medium diameter branches? How about using a circular saw, hand saw or bow saw? Problem with a chainsaw is that the teeth need to be resharpened all the time.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-r ... l?q=bowsaw
I have zero setup for any DIY at home, so as above, bought a reciprocating saw, seems fine for doing a couple of logs at a time
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45325 posts
5870 upvotes
Richmond Hill
redsfan wrote: the axe option hasn't worked out for me, these logs are fairly thin, not too easy to get a hold of for me. Not a typical sized log like firewood, etc. Outside of a small chainsaw, thinking maybe a reciprocating saw would work
Instead of bringing the axe to the wood, bring the wood to the axe. Once it's stuck, flip it around, and whack the axe onto your stump. Makes chopping small pieces much easier.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2277 posts
440 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Instead of bringing the axe to the wood, bring the wood to the axe. Once it's stuck, flip it around, and whack the axe onto your stump. Makes chopping small pieces much easier.
it would be more bring the axe to my body parts, and my children and fatherless, lol..
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
I'm confused as to why OP is even asking. You have a solution that is working for you and have shot down the suggestions already attempted at helping. Are you really just looking for somebody to come over to your place and do the work for you?

I have 1 suggestion - a reciprocating saw. Curious to see if it gets shot down.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9953 posts
5241 upvotes
Paris
A tiny kinging axe can be had for $30 or less and it very safe and easy to use. Designed to be used one handed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2277 posts
440 upvotes
hoponpop wrote: I'm confused as to why OP is even asking. You have a solution that is working for you and have shot down the suggestions already attempted at helping. Are you really just looking for somebody to come over to your place and do the work for you?

I have 1 suggestion - a reciprocating saw. Curious to see if it gets shot down.
clearly it doesn't take much in the way of assumption for you to suggest something I already went out to buy? I don't really need to explain my rationale to you, so if you have nothing of use to say move on with your life. Christ man grab a beer or something....
Last edited by redsfan on Apr 4th, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2277 posts
440 upvotes
Jerico wrote: A tiny kinging axe can be had for $30 or less and it very safe and easy to use. Designed to be used one handed.
I hear you bud, that is what I have but have found it a pain to use, lol. Apparently I have shot down every other idea on here, and put my big boy decide pants and bought a reciprocating saw that does the job for now...Cheers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2277 posts
440 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: You must be misunderstanding because there's nothing dangerous about the method I described.
not at all misunderstanding, but thanks for the suggestion. I am eternally useless at most DIY type of stuff, you have to know me to understand. The other suggestions I have attempted without success which is the only reason why I posted other ideas up here.

Cheers
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9953 posts
5241 upvotes
Paris
redsfan wrote: I hear you bud, that is what I have but have found it a pain to use, lol. Apparently I have shot down every other idea on here, and put my big boy decide pants and bought a reciprocating saw that does the job for now...Cheers
A recip saw seems exceedingly dangerous for someone who cant swing a hatchet
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5236 posts
2606 upvotes
Ottawa
Split, not saw. You lose a lot of wood when you saw. Besides, most power saw set ups are not safe for cutting logs longitudinally. Yes, a table saw with a jig but even then. It's not worth it.

If the "logs" are too small to split with an axe, use a small hatchet. Make sure the hatchet is sharp. Wear eye protection. Place the hatchet at the end of the "log" and tap the blade of the hatchet down through the log with a heavy hammer, sledge or other axe.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2277 posts
440 upvotes
Jerico wrote: A recip saw seems exceedingly dangerous for someone who cant swing a hatchet
so far so good I have all my body pars still, lol
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
Got it, I thought you were cutting length wise only. An axe would be a bad idea in this case. A saw of your choosing is your only option other than just breaking kindling lengths by hand or stepping on them on an angle in order to save wood and make less mess.