tools needed to change tires

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2020 8:47 pm
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
194 posts
46 upvotes

tools needed to change tires

hey guys, so don't wanna keep going to Costco twice a year to change tires and looking into doing it myself (should know how anyway)

at the same time, I want it to be efficient as possible in doing so without having to break the bank (like spending thousands ) ..several hundred im fine wit

what do I need ? where should I go to buy ?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1342 posts
608 upvotes
Ontario
Hundreds+++ of videos on it on YouTube.
·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
194 posts
46 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: Hundreds+++ of videos on it on YouTube.
ok but I'm sure there are different tools you can use (some ways are more manual than others )

in terms of where to buy, just Canadian Tire?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
1469 posts
277 upvotes
I use these, probably cost me around 300? been changing mine over for about 3 years... i think I've somewhat broke even.

- jack
- jack stands
- torque wrench
- breaker bar
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
194 posts
46 upvotes
thanks ..and to be clear .I'm using the same rims for both winter and summer so I assume I need additional tools for that
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3129 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
In that case you will need to purchase a tire balancing machine since you will be mounting/dismounting the tires.

Price starts at high $1000 depending on model and functions required, or you can purchase a second hand balancer.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
194 posts
46 upvotes
DJ Trance AZ wrote: In that case you will need to purchase a tire balancing machine since you will be mounting/dismounting the tires.

Price starts at high $1000 depending on model and functions required, or you can purchase a second hand balancer.
sorry just to be clear...because im using the same rims ? maybe I should just buy another pair of rims then
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
194 posts
46 upvotes
nvm yes ...ok ..should have bought rims for the winter tires...face palm ..live to learn
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
194 posts
46 upvotes
good place to steelies? Honda CRV 2016 se
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3241 posts
18415 upvotes
The first place you should’ve checked on where to change your tires is the owners manual for your car, which should be in your glove box. This will have all the details from rotating to inflation details, to how to use the tire changing tools in your trunk.

If you want to take it one step further and invest in power tools then look at a decent hydraulic jack, some wheel chocks (or a couple of bricks), an decent impact gun (cordless or battery is fine), a socket that will fit your lug nuts and impact gun and torque wrench can torque higher than 50 ft.lb.

Using existing rims as you have already found out is not feasible for even the most experienced as you have to dismount, mount and balance.

Good luck and educate yourself because doing it wrong can seriously hurt yourself or damage your vehicle.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
194 posts
46 upvotes
markopas wrote: The first place you should’ve checked on where to change your tires is the owners manual for your car, which should be in your glove box. This will have all the details from rotating to inflation details, to how to use the tire changing tools in your trunk.

If you want to take it one step further and invest in power tools then look at a decent hydraulic jack, some wheel chocks (or a couple of bricks), an decent impact gun (cordless or battery is fine), a socket that will fit your lug nuts and impact gun and torque wrench can torque higher than 50 ft.lb.

Using existing rims as you have already found out is not feasible for even the most experienced as you have to dismount, mount and balance.

Good luck and educate yourself because doing it wrong can seriously hurt yourself or damage your vehicle.
looking at new steelies at Costco ....some say OEM compatible and hubcentric...should I be looking for those only ?
Last edited by joyceetal on Oct 4th, 2020 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
194 posts
46 upvotes
markopas wrote: The first place you should’ve checked on where to change your tires is the owners manual for your car, which should be in your glove box. This will have all the details from rotating to inflation details, to how to use the tire changing tools in your trunk.

fortunately, just found out my bro in law is pretty good at it and he can supervise me
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3241 posts
18415 upvotes
joyceetal wrote: fortunately, just found out my bro in law is pretty good at it and he can supervise me
Great place to start.
[OP]
Jul 13, 2019
194 posts
46 upvotes
markopas wrote: Great place to start.
are you able to comment on my rims question a couple of posts above ? Ty!