Tools needed for tire changeover...Feedback please!
Not only will I save money in the long run, but it's more inconvenient and I figure it's just good knowledge to have.
That being said...I'd like some feedback on all the required tools I need. I have basically no tools at all so I'm starting from scratch. I drive a sedan btw.
1) Torque wrench: $20. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8533168e
Found this from a thread on RFD. This should be sufficient, correct?
2) Jack: $21. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8036709e
Could I save money and just use the scissor jack that came with my car or is that not safe to use multiple times? If I need to buy one, the one above looks to be a very basic jack...is this good enough? I'm seeing various other types for upwards of several hundred dollars but I'd rather not spend that much if something basic will do the job.
3) Jack stands: $26 https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cert ... 0010p.html
Any reason to get more expensive ones?
4) Breaker bar: $14. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8254989e
Is this the correct size I'll need?
5) Socket: I have some smaller sockets but nothing that'll fit the lug nuts on my car. How would I determine the correct size socket to buy? I can't exactly take a lug nut off my wheel and bring it into a store to put into sockets until one fits. I tried checking my owner's manual but couldn't find it. Also, I assume just buying any socket (correct size of course) is fine? Or are there special wheel sockets I'm supposed to get?
6) Wheel chock: I was thinking of just using a piece of wood or brick...or is it recommended to get an actual wheel chock?
Ans since I'm doing tire changes I figure I might as well try and do my own oil changes too which I’ll also need the tools for.
7) Oil: Owner's manual says I need 4.0L of 5W-20. I'm good to just buy whatever is on sale of 5W-20, correct? Also it seems they come in various sizes (5L, 4.4L, 4.73L, etc). I assume different vehicles require slightly different amounts so generally people will have a bit leftover in their jug, correct?
8) Oil filter: Is it recommended to only use genuine filters? So buy from the dealership?
9) Drain pan and funnel: Probably can just buy from Dollarama
10) Ramps: So if I'm doing tire changeovers and buying a jack and jack stands, should I use those or is it recommended to get ramps like these for $60? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rhin ... 6060p.html
P.S. I'm sure some people will downvote me for such a noob thread, go ahead I don't care, I'm here to learn