1494 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
After taxes, it's be like 17k
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
198 upvotes
Mars.
In bonus pay alone, that's less than the average corporate worker where I work makes a year in performance bonus. I'm fairly certain that's less than what I made in my annual bonus last year too, so I'm not sure how this is outrageous for a top executive.
Don't be a cooch.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6403 posts
2074 upvotes
BC
samin62 wrote: That seems reasonable compared to executives of your typical corporations
Compared to other Government Agencies? Isn't that the point the article is making? Not comparing it to executive bonuses in the corporate world at large.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2347 posts
710 upvotes
New Brunswick
Thats pretty low in the financial sector.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1447 posts
1213 upvotes
Edmonton
He's doing charity work at that salary. The critics are disconnected from reality.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1275 upvotes
So, a few Vice President level employees in an organization that collects about $400 billion of taxes annually received $35k in performance pay? BFD.

The CBC is trying to incite a bit of class warfare here when the only thing untoward is how *low* those bonuses are.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11290 posts
9796 upvotes
I tried to call CRA for an answer today... but I was told the lines were busy and to call back.
Last edited by Sanyo on Feb 2nd, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1797 posts
902 upvotes
Alberta
That's super low for executive....I got 2/3rd of that for my bonus for last year...and I am not an executive...about 4 layers away from one.
Jun 29, 2010
63 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
Why would they get bonus and not the regular goverment workers? Plus this is tax dollars they are pocketing. This is not right. But I guess that is why the CRA are not as transparent so they can do whatever they want.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
134 upvotes
YVR BOY wrote: Why would they get bonus and not the regular goverment workers? Plus this is tax dollars they are pocketing. This is not right. But I guess that is why the CRA are not as transparent so they can do whatever they want.
Because they make the govt and in turn me and you money that's why .

I mean if you're angry about pittance of a bonus, are you angry they get paid too? Lol
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1530 posts
854 upvotes
Not the dumbest thing I've seen on the INTERNET today, but pretty close
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1372 upvotes
There's thousands of workers in the public and private sectors who would take those jobs in a flash if given the chance. Keeping in line with such principles, compensation should fall.
Aug 29, 2011
193 posts
148 upvotes
GTA
burnt69 wrote: There's thousands of workers in the public and private sectors who would take those jobs in a flash if given the chance. Keeping in line with such principles, compensation should fall.
The same can be said about any job with some benefits. However you don’t get the best people applying. Thats why CRA is a mess. The CRA executives in this article have hundreds of people each they are responsible for. The compensation is already depressed.
The Duke
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
198 upvotes
Mars.
burnt69 wrote: There's thousands of workers in the public and private sectors who would take those jobs in a flash if given the chance. Keeping in line with such principles, compensation should fall.
They're simply not competent enough, duh.
Don't be a cooch.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1275 upvotes
YVR BOY wrote: Why would they get bonus and not the regular goverment workers? Plus this is tax dollars they are pocketing. This is not right. But I guess that is why the CRA are not as transparent so they can do whatever they want.

Well, the short answer is that the "workers" are unionized and the union insists on guaranteed compensation, irrespective of performance. I mean, could you imagine if unionized workers had a bonus based on subjective evaluation (an objective evaluation would be, "if you assemble 46+ widgets per day, you get a bonus", a subjective evaluation would be "we assess that you have shown leadership competencies and have integrated the organizations values and ethics standards into your daily work")? Every time a unionized employee received less than the maximum bonus, there would be a grievance that the subjective evaluation was discriminatory!
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
736 upvotes
For those of us at Director level or higher typically have performance bonuses in the 25% of salary range as a target. If the company has a good year, and if you get exceeds expectation type ratings it is easily possible to get up to 50% of salary.

25% of salary is in the 35k range.

As for why to get bonuses.
First scenario, it is a means to tie pay to performance, i.e. lower the base a bit but if you overachieve you get more
Second, it is a means to incentivize those who were successful in one industry/company to jump to another
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1372 upvotes
garytheduke wrote: The same can be said about any job with some benefits. However you don’t get the best people applying. Thats why CRA is a mess. The CRA executives in this article have hundreds of people each they are responsible for. The compensation is already depressed.
The CRA clearly doesn't have 'the best people', and never will. So they shouldn't even bother trying to recruit such. Their compensation packages are very generous.