• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2021 1:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5430 posts
873 upvotes

Top load washer trips circuit breaker.

It's own it's own breaker and it seems to trip when it's doing the spinning and maybe the motor sounds a bit different now? Any idea what it might be?
8 replies
Dec 21, 2020
560 posts
490 upvotes
My guess would be the motor is binding and causing a spike in power usage that is triping the breaker with over current.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10702 posts
3365 upvotes
i would swap the breaker, it can be returned if its not the issue. its a cheap and easy fix (if you know how to swap the breaker)
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2029 posts
1094 upvotes
Oakville
rocking23nf wrote: i would swap the breaker, it can be returned if its not the issue. its a cheap and easy fix (if you know how to swap the breaker)
If you are going to do that, then just swap with another same amp breaker in the panel.
If it doesn't trip, then buy a new breaker. If it still trips, then it's not the breaker and is the washer.
...unless you think all the breakers in the panel will fail/age equally, this eliminates the go out and buy and then return if it's not the issue.
...assuming you know how to swap the breaker.
Dec 21, 2020
560 posts
490 upvotes
Might be easier to just try another outlet then.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
5746 posts
3090 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
RCLapCar wrote: Might be easier to just try another outlet then.
This is a far more logical route to go.

If you’re noticing something sounds different with the appliance it’s quite likely a problem with the motor and a different receptacle isn’t going to help. You probably need to call an appliance repair contractor.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8044 posts
9020 upvotes
Montréal
best advice given, Why take risk playing with breakers if the issue is the appliance itself? Given OP noted a sound difference, it is likely the motor, or maybe the transmission? slowly failing. Plug it in another outlet, run the spin cycle and you'll see
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5430 posts
873 upvotes
This is a great idea. I'll get my outdoor extension cord rated for 15amps (washer only pulls 10amps) and plug it into another dedicated breaker and see if it trips. If it does then it's the machine.

I did run it again today with the same breaker and it was fine... strange. I did notice that when I turned on the light in the same room with it that day that it did trip. I honestly don't know. I'll have to test and see. Great suggestions.