• Aug 15th, 2019 5:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
17 posts
1 upvote

Top MBA - Bloated Ego?

Do you receive messages on Linkedin from MBA Candidates asking you for a referral or a job or perspective?
Last edited by Streetdancer on Aug 6th, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
23 replies
Mar 17, 2010
204 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
How do you know somebody has an MBA?
Don't worry, they'll tell you.

True in all of the cases in the OP.
Jan 8, 2010
160 posts
90 upvotes
A Canadian MBA degree is dime a dozen. I don't put much stock in people pursuing them unless it's Ivey. Though if you want the extra year for an internship/co-op then Rotman, Queen's, and McGill are good too. It sounds like you're ranting about people reaching out to you for advice, references, etc., but if you do not like to engage them, then why not simply ignore? If you have a LinkedIn profile and are a career professional, it is expected that people will reach out to you to connect. You may feel offended that people are not giving your career choice as much weight as those in private equity and IB, but I know people with undergrad degrees from schools like Ryerson doing what you do. It's not very difficult getting into a major 5 bank for commercial banking and you don't need an MBA for it. So you do need to relax your pride for a minute and consider this aspect too.

It's a shame that you're discrediting the experience from your home country in such a manner. I'm Canadian born and raised here, and I find your disparaging remarks troubling. You should value the experiences you've gained, as most of the work and skills are transferable anyways. What separates Indian experience from Canadian experience other than semantics and language/cultural barriers? Foreign experience and credentials are not given a lot of weight here simply because it is an unknown variable. I have no idea what the best universities in India or China are, what the education system is like there, and the screening process to get into top companies. And, frankly, I don't have the time or patience to research it either. I'd rather just go with the Ivey grad with Canadian experience because that can be measured. This doesn't mean that the Indian experience means nothing at all; it just means that I don't know how to measure it.

However, I do agree that this sense of entitlement will not get these people very far, as they have to hustle all over again from the bottom (unless they have connections).
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4420 posts
2303 upvotes
As someone without an MBA, what do you truly get from it?

Is it mainly for networking, and for companies to boast your credential?

I see a lot of people going to these Ivey schools and spending a ton, but on the knowledge aspect I want to know if it’s worth it?
Sep 28, 2013
715 posts
454 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: As someone without an MBA, what do you truly get from it?

I see a lot of people going to these Ivey schools and spending a ton, but on the knowledge aspect I want to know if it’s worth it?
I learned a ton at my MBA but that said, if it didn't open up doors to the on-campus recruiting program, I would never have gone. An MBA is a career accelerant, or at least it should be. If you're going to a top MBA and ending up in commercial banking, it's because you're lacking in one way or the other - in the case of the guy referenced in the OP, it's probably social skills.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
17 posts
1 upvote
angrybanker wrote: I learned a ton at my MBA but that said, if it didn't open up doors to the on-campus recruiting program, I would never have gone. An MBA is a career accelerant, or at least it should be. If you're going to a top MBA and ending up in commercial banking, it's because you're lacking in one way or the other - in the case of the guy referenced in the OP, it's probably social skills.
Not everyone secures those prestigious jobs
Last edited by Streetdancer on Aug 6th, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4908 posts
3812 upvotes
I don't understand the point of this thread. Who are you trying to "educate" about MBA decorum?

I personally don't hold much stock in Canadian MBAs (can't speak for any other countries) - his is because many MBA programs let unqualified people in just so they can rake in more revenue who don't deserve to be admitted, let alone hold the credentials...if anything they have devalued it. An academic Masters in my view, definitely holds more value because you have to work HARD at it - it's a rigourous process that you can't fake or buy your way through.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
17 posts
1 upvote
angrybanker wrote: I learned a ton at my MBA but that said, if it didn't open up doors to the on-campus recruiting program, I would never have gone. An MBA is a career accelerant, or at least it should be. If you're going to a top MBA and ending up in commercial banking, it's because you're lacking in one way or the other - in the case of the guy referenced in the OP, it's probably social skills.
I didn't go to a
Last edited by Streetdancer on Aug 6th, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 11, 2013
490 posts
375 upvotes
Toronto
Streetdancer wrote: I didn't go to a top MBA but thank you for judging me for my social skills. I should probably learn from those top MBA grads in risk management who are afraid to speak over the phone.
You joined a board and in your first ever post insulted the credentials and background of quite a few people on here.

This feels like either a rant or a troll post. If it's not, you need to re-state the exact feedback you're looking for here.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1368 upvotes
Bay Area
MyNameWasTaken wrote: As someone without an MBA, what do you truly get from it?

According to my former roommate who did his MBA at Berkeley, it is ALL about the networking. Also in his particular case, he wanted to move to a different department in his company, and there's an unwritten rule that an MBA is expected in that department.
Sep 29, 2014
216 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sounds like a sour post. Education is an investment. People who go into better programs open themselves up to better opportunities. It's really as simple as that. Nobody does an MBA for the actual knowledge because it's not law or medicine. It's about the networking, recruitment, alumni connections, and strength of the class profile. Don't blame others simply because you pursued a graduate degree at an average school and landed somewhere that you could have gotten without the MBA.

So you saved 25k while someone else paid 150k for a top MBA? Have any idea what the average Ivey MBA grad is doing/making? What about M7 MBAs that cost 200-300k from Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, MIT, Columbia, Wharton, and Northwestern?

By the way, what Canadian MBA program costs 150k?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4586 posts
2113 upvotes
Many good points posted already.

I just want to say - an MBA doesn't make you smarter. But a lot of people with an MBA are pretty darn smart. Do not underestimate the title automatically.
Nov 20, 2016
167 posts
154 upvotes
Streetdancer wrote: I didn't go to a top MBA but thank you for judging me for my social skills. I should probably learn from those top MBA grads in risk management who are afraid to speak over the phone.
If you read angrybanker's comment carefully again, you'll see that he is talking about the guy you mentioned in your post, not yourself. Not sure why you're being so defensive and quick to jump on other people.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
17 posts
1 upvote
motomondo wrote: Many good points posted already.

I just want to say - an MBA doesn't make you smarter. But a lot of people with an MBA are pretty darn smart. Do not underestimate the title automatically.
Yes, people with either highly specialized skills and experience in a niche sector or people with great people skills. Not a lot of people.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
17 posts
1 upvote
Anyways, some people try to paint my post
Last edited by Streetdancer on Aug 6th, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6776 posts
5555 upvotes
MBA used to mean something in the 90s and even early 2000s. Then every school of every level offer their own MBA programs and totally diluted the meaning.

That said, even the most basic MBA program contain useful information that may help someone mid career and beyond. But it's pointless title for cold calling people for jobs.
Sep 28, 2013
715 posts
454 upvotes
lol what are you talking about? I said the guy that was REFERENCED in the OP not the guy who started the OP. IE, the guy who was telling you he deserved more than commercial banking.
Sep 28, 2013
715 posts
454 upvotes
Streetdancer wrote: Not everyone secures those prestigious jobs that you are referring here and it is actually very true for people who have no Canadian work-experience and come from Asian background. Have you been to front office? Scene is very difference then back office and middle office. Many of these top MBA graduates who couldn't find their dream jobs now are working in areas where their MBA brings no value. Tough pill to swallow. Again, I have no problem if you have 100k to dish out for prestige but trust me if you shit on other people you are not getting anywhere.
Yes, I have been to the front office. In fact, I wish I am there less often because I'm here for 70+ hours a week. But yes, the jobs are hard to come by and there's far more demand than supply - even if you went to a top MBA, most people don't get the front office jobs.
Sep 29, 2014
216 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto, ON
A lot of this comes down to the OP's own I securities too. I feel for the guy. He seems like a good dude. But no MBA student from India, China, or whatever has pulled this kind of stunt on me, even when I was in undergrad, because I never allowed them to do so. Stand your ground and be proud of who you are and your accomplishments. You may think these MBA students are looking down at you and boasting, but really they are just insecure individuals, likely unhappy about some aspects of their own lives, and feel good having to tell a commercial banker who actually has a job, how they are not good enough.

Ignore these people and move on. There are certainly students out there that need your time and mentorship. Focus on those people. I'm in a similar boat and a LOT of people reach out to me for networking and mentorship, as I am a lawyer and you know, everyone wants to be a lawyer nowadays. Do you know how many FOREIGN-TRAINED lawyers there are - some who were even senior counsel in top international firms and companies in India, China, Singapore, etc.? I just laugh these people off internally if they try hyping up to me. I'm not talking to everyone and giving them my time. Focus on the people who deserve it.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
17 posts
1 upvote
Eragon wrote: A lot of this comes down to the OP's own I securities too. I feel for the guy. He seems like a good dude. But no MBA student from India, China, or whatever has pulled this kind of stunt on me, even when I was in undergrad, because I never allowed them to do so. Stand your ground and be proud of who you are and your accomplishments. You may think these MBA students are looking down at you and boasting, but really they are just insecure individuals, likely unhappy about some aspects of their own lives, and feel good having to tell a commercial banker who actually has a job, how they are not good enough.

Ignore these people and move on. There are certainly students out there that need your time and mentorship. Focus on those people. I'm in a similar boat and a LOT of people reach out to me for networking and mentorship, as I am a lawyer and you know, everyone wants to be a lawyer nowadays. Do you know how many FOREIGN-TRAINED lawyers there are - some who were even senior counsel in top international firms and companies in India, China, Singapore, etc.? I just laugh these people off internally if they try hyping up to me. I'm not talking to everyone and giving them my time. Focus on the people who deserve it.
Appreciate it. If they are polite and respectful, I will even connect them with my contacts.