Ongoing Deal Discussion

TorGuard

2 Year VPN 50% off with FREE Amazon Firestick + Mini VPN Router - $49.99 USD + $10 USD SH

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 10:56 am
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2857 posts
1218 upvotes
Ottawa
I submitted a ticket Jan 7, and got a reply for more info. I replied on the same day, 5 days later I still haven't heard back.
Jan 15, 2011
87 posts
34 upvotes
For those on the fence trying to choose between TorGuard and NordVPN:

Rakuten has just increased their cash back for NordVPN to *40%*.

I'm going with NordVPN!
May 29, 2004
488 posts
132 upvotes
User9384 wrote: For those on the fence trying to choose between TorGuard and NordVPN:

I'm going with NordVPN!
but that only for one time cash time, no? Unlike torguard is 50% for 2yrs for lifetime
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2652 posts
1200 upvotes
Montreal, QC
User9384 wrote: For those on the fence trying to choose between TorGuard and NordVPN:

I'm going with NordVPN!
40% cashback is just the regular deal. the cashback usually goes up to 60% and that happens numerous times throughout the year so if I were you, I'd wait
Mar 14, 2018
423 posts
298 upvotes

I'm going with NordVPN!
That's not bad, Nord has 3 year plan for $125 and 40% back with Rakutan makes it a sweet deal. I've been using Nord VPN for almost 2 years now, no complaints, works well with netflix, hotstars and I only paid $3, that's right $3 for almost 2 years now, bought it on shopify.
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto
For anyone interested in beefing up their network security that's willing to spend more.... ....instead of the cheap mini-router that comes with this consider buying a mini-pc (minimum two GB LAN ports, a decent low power CPU, 4GB RAM, and AES-NI support) then load Pfsense.

The VPN speed will be much faster than the mini router that comes with this deal.. Pfsense also includes a bunch of useful features/plugins for free (e.g Intrusion Detection System, whitelists/blackists, reports, ZFS support, ability to route only through VPN aka killswitch, RAM drive to lower wear on storage, multi-LAN support, and a wack of other features) . It's open source. No secret back doors or secret telemetry. It's a bit pricier going for the better hardware but it will give you something rock solid that will work for years, better privacy, and better security.

In my own instance, for my home use, I bought a barebones fanless low power Qotom (decent 5th gen i5) then added a 120GB SSD, and 4GB laptop DDR3 stick. I then connected my wifi router to one of the LAN ports. Haven't tried Torguard but I usually get between 200-300MB on PIA (128 Bit AES GCM)The hardware/os installation only take a few minutes. Pfsense can be overwhelming to a newb but there are lots of Youtube videos with walkthroughs setting it up from scratch that even a novice can follow (including a few to connect to sundry VPNs using OpenVPN).

https://www.amazon.ca/QOTOM-Q355G4-Bare ... ref=sr_1_1

There are other excellent alternative firewall/router software to Pfsense too.
http://demo.untangle.com/admin/index.do
https://www.mondaiji.com/blog/other/it/ ... all-distro
[OP]
Jul 28, 2014
259 posts
200 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
needybot wrote: For anyone interested in beefing up their network security that's willing to spend more.... ....instead of the cheap mini-router that comes with this consider buying a mini-pc (minimum two GB LAN ports, a decent low power CPU, 4GB RAM, and AES-NI support) then load Pfsense.

The VPN speed will be much faster than the mini router that comes with this deal.. Pfsense also includes a bunch of useful features/plugins for free (e.g Intrusion Detection System, whitelists/blackists, reports, ZFS support, ability to route only through VPN aka killswitch, RAM drive to lower wear on storage, multi-LAN support, and a wack of other features) . It's open source. No secret back doors or secret telemetry. It's a bit pricier going for the better hardware but it will give you something rock solid that will work for years, better privacy, and better security.

In my own instance, for my home use, I bought a barebones fanless low power Qotom (decent 5th gen i5) then added a 120GB SSD, and 4GB laptop DDR3 stick. I then connected my wifi router to one of the LAN ports. Haven't tried Torguard but I usually get between 200-300MB on PIA (128 Bit AES GCM)The hardware/os installation only take a few minutes. Pfsense can be overwhelming to a newb but there are lots of Youtube videos with walkthroughs setting it up from scratch that even a novice can follow (including a few to connect to sundry VPNs using OpenVPN).

https://www.amazon.ca/QOTOM-Q355G4-Bare ... ref=sr_1_1

There are other excellent alternative firewall/router software to Pfsense too.
http://demo.untangle.com/admin/index.do
https://www.mondaiji.com/blog/other/it/ ... all-distro
I would agree with you 100%. All I use the mini router is for traveling. I put it into my carry-on and can connect to any network with a network cable or bridging the wireless then connecting to my own SSID on the device. Once connected all data is a encrypted and sent through my VPN provider.
I would not plug it onto my home network as it's only 10/100 and not gigabit.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
2098 posts
818 upvotes
I emailed them and they told me the FireTV and router are on back order but they will ship for sure.
Mar 5, 2018
418 posts
764 upvotes
Montreal
My order is still on pre-shipment since the 6th January!
Je parle français aussi 😝
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2857 posts
1218 upvotes
Ottawa
story wrote: I emailed them and they told me the FireTV and router are on back order but they will ship for sure.
thnx for the update. I submitted ticket and gave address. but never heard back. I tried an email follwup but still havent heard back. They didn't charge me or anything yet either i dont think
Jan 13, 2020
2 posts
Just received my Firestick in the mail. Did not have to pay duties or tax :-)

Thanks!!!
[OP]
Jul 28, 2014
259 posts
200 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB

Just saw this on the home page after logging in.
Jun 4, 2016
235 posts
61 upvotes
Does anybody know how to get this router to work with Bell Fibe if you have tv and internet? Or is there any way to use a VPN through the bell home hub itself?

Thanks
Jun 5, 2008
168 posts
74 upvotes
frugalcanuck wrote: Got email notification that FireTV stick and VPN router have shipped. Thanks OP!
When did you order it? Mines been stuck at pre-shipping since January 2.
Mar 5, 2018
418 posts
764 upvotes
Montreal
Sanctumus wrote: When did you order it? Mines been stuck at pre-shipping since January 2.
Any news? My order is still stuck at pre-shipping since january 6
Jun 5, 2008
168 posts
74 upvotes
hammouz wrote: Any news? My order is still stuck at pre-shipping since january 6
Nothing yet unfortunately
Mar 5, 2018
418 posts
764 upvotes
Montreal
Sanctumus wrote: Nothing yet unfortunately
I dont understand, sent them an email on the 14th January, no answer yet!
Jun 5, 2008
168 posts
74 upvotes
hammouz wrote: I dont understand, sent them an email on the 14th January, no answer yet!
Yea I don't know what is going on. The delay and no reply to email is frustrating.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
2098 posts
818 upvotes
They are still advertising the promotion on their website. I am sure they are working on it.
Dec 21, 2004
873 posts
188 upvotes
needybot wrote: I tried PFsense years ago. It's wicked. You can create multiple LANs to route some traffic through VPN, Tor, or proxy all on the same machine (or even chaining them). . Has tons of plugins. Setup port knocking which allows you to setup a home server on the Internet without exposing ports. Intrustion detection. Reports, Alerts. Even servers although not recommended as you risk compromising security ) etc.

The problem with the old computers though is they are power hogs and the ones that aren't aren't fast enough. I've been thinking of buying a newer system to try out PFSense again but still trying to figure out what system would be the lowest power draw for the highest possible VPN speed (both under load and idling).. at the lowest cost for hardware.
I use one of these...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3294553 ... 6f0a992f42

J1900, dual lan. At the time I bought it w/o RAM and SSD because I had some sitting around but it looks like that's not an option for the J1900.