Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8958 posts
1992 upvotes
London

Torn $5 Polymer Bank Notes

I have a torn $5 polymer bank note, someone cut the corner of it with the serial number, there should be two and now only one. I tried to deposit it at TD and they wouldn't accept it because one serial number is missing. So I just deposit it at an ATM and see what happens. According to Bank of Canada, I may have to send it to them for examination before they will send me another $5. Anyone has experience? TIA

For those who are curios: I am a volunteer of a non profit organization and that $5 bill is among the donations that we received and I am just trying to find a way to cash it.
Last edited by apvm on Feb 20th, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4582 upvotes
Alberta
Try spending it instead. I bet someone will take it.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13960 posts
9044 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Walmart machines will take it, I had a torn 20 and Walmart kiosk took it after few tries.
jackrabbit000 wrote: Try spending it instead. I bet someone will take it.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1530 posts
854 upvotes
Pass it on, like someone passed it on to you.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8958 posts
1992 upvotes
London
I don't really want to pass it on to someone else, in any case I deposited it through an ATM. Just in case they send it back, I am wondering if anyone send a torn bill back to Bank of Canada for a new one before? Thanks again.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12216 posts
15357 upvotes
Why did you accept it in the first place? If you did not notice it at first it must not be an obvious cut. I don't know why the bank did not take it because 90% of the bill is still intact. Its not like it was half a bill. I would have tried a different bank or passed it on. Someone passed it you, pass it to someone else.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1442 posts
412 upvotes
AFAIK the BOC rule is that you will get reimbursed as long as you have 51% of the bill or more in your possession.
Sep 12, 2017
116 posts
18 upvotes
LaSalle, Ontario
kneevase wrote: OP, sounds to me like it's time to go to the strip club!
Yeah $5 got you a dance in the 80's.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1595 posts
2363 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
kneevase wrote: OP, sounds to me like it's time to go to the strip club!
thewhopper wrote:
Yeah $5 got you a dance in the 80's.
Won't even buy a beer anymore.
I solemnly swear, to never assume I have an inkling at which direction the market will head, and to never make any investments based on a timing strategy.
Oct 27, 2012
362 posts
292 upvotes
Shwa
just give it one of those homeless beggars or the salvation army. Seriously, we're talkimg about 5 bucks not 500
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8958 posts
1992 upvotes
London
LonesomeDove wrote: Why did you accept it in the first place? If you did not notice it at first it must not be an obvious cut. I don't know why the bank did not take it because 90% of the bill is still intact. Its not like it was half a bill. I would have tried a different bank or passed it on. Someone passed it you, pass it to someone else.
I am a volunteer of a non profit organization, this $5 bill is among the donations that we received, TD won't accept it because one of the serial numbers is missing, it should have two at the bottom of the bill.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8302 posts
8901 upvotes
The Prairies
jookid wrote: just give it one of those homeless beggars or the salvation army. Seriously, we're talkimg about 5 bucks not 500
+1
They’ll find a place to accept it if it takes the rest of their life :lol:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45820 posts
8822 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Kiraly wrote: Sending mutilated notes to the Bank of Canada requires registered mail ($9.85) or courier, not worth it for a $5 bill. I'd have deposited it using an ATM too.
Get your branch to send it.
They can include it with their regular ship out of mutiliated bills.
But most branches are lazy and do this once in. Blue moon... but its a good kick in the butt bc mutilated always builds up bc too lazy to ship out to b of c. Lol