• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2020 1:04 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 8, 2015
59 posts
8 upvotes

Torn vapor barrier with drywall

The guys working in my basement have put up a drywall without taping or fixing torn vapor barrier in multiple spots in the basement.

I understand this is a mold concern. I want to know how big of a concern is this and whether I have to ask them to remove the drywall to patch or fix the vapor barrier before putting it back on.

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2185 posts
375 upvotes
Ideally you'd want seal every crack and crevice, but the truth is that there are leaks in many areas of the house that you're likely unaware of. Can it possibly lead to mold, maybe yes, or likely not. If the drywall isn't sealed with mud yet, kindly ask the contractor to take off the drywall and seal it up with the proper tape.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17312 posts
19318 upvotes
Oakville
captnoon4545 wrote: The guys working in my basement have put up a drywall without taping or fixing torn vapor barrier in multiple spots in the basement.

I understand this is a mold concern. I want to know how big of a concern is this and whether I have to ask them to remove the drywall to patch or fix the vapor barrier before putting it back on.

Thanks
How can you tell they didn't fix it? If they didn't fix it, then it defeats the point of the barrier, it needs to be air tight.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6454 posts
2127 upvotes
BC
The reality is a typical homeowner subsequently makes holes in the barrier when putting up pictures, shelving, TV mounts, low-voltage receptacles, etc.

Airtightness is certainly worth pursuing whenever possible, such as when new drywall is installed, but difficult to maintain that integrity.

Agree it's worth demanding those panels be unscrewed and done right. Hopefully they weren't nailed on.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4051 posts
1553 upvotes
Toronto
Meh... You should ask them to removed the vapor barrier completely. Especially in a basement. It's a recipe for a mold disaster.

Rip down the vapor barrier and any of the builder's crap blanket wrap insulation. Glue rigid foam board sheets to the foundation wall, tape all of those seams. then frame your exterior walls and fill stud cavities with roxul insulation batts. Then install gypsum boards on studs.

...welcome to your mold-free and warm basement.

/Thread
Dec 9, 2013
655 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
IMO, it will never be 100% air tight anyways. Installing drywall will require 1000s of screws alone, which go through the VB.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17312 posts
19318 upvotes
Oakville
miscbrah1 wrote: IMO, it will never be 100% air tight anyways. Installing drywall will require 1000s of screws alone, which go through the VB.
Well, those drywall screws basically self seal because they clamp the drywall to the wood where they create a hole. No significant air will leak there.
Now, a layer or 2 of paint will create an air barrier of less than 1 perm, so even that will work, but it must be sealed along all edges and any holes like for receptacles.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439