Real Estate

Toronto Agent disclosed client's personal info (SIN, address)

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2020 6:38 pm
[OP]
Member
Sep 11, 2017
373 posts
255 upvotes

Toronto Agent disclosed client's personal info (SIN, address)

I noticed an agent post a zoom call video on youtube today where they are going over a PSA with a client and it's showing the clients, full name, address, SIN, DOB, etc. I have to believe this was by accident but the client's personal info is now open to anyone with malicious intent. I will be messaging the real estate agent to inform him of this mistake, but should I also let the client know? Their email address/name are clearly visible. What would you do? It's unnerving to see errors like this and someone's personal information put on display...
34 replies
Member
User avatar
Jan 7, 2019
320 posts
306 upvotes
I smell a lawsuit coming...
Remember to always Thumbs Up good responses! Spread positively.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11006 posts
9496 upvotes
FedExpress wrote: I noticed an agent post a zoom call video on youtube today where they are going over a PSA with a client and it's showing the clients, full name, address, SIN, DOB, etc. I have to believe this was by accident but the client's personal info is now open to anyone with malicious intent. I will be messaging the real estate agent to inform him of this mistake, but should I also let the client know? Their email address/name are clearly visible. What would you do? It's unnerving to see errors like this and someone's personal information put on display...
Sure why not. Would be nice of you. Generally I say stay out of peoples business but if the agent did that he is an idiot.

Unless its a fake client with fake id number, etc.
[OP]
Member
Sep 11, 2017
373 posts
255 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: Sure why not. Would be nice of you. Generally I say stay out of peoples business but if the agent did that he is an idiot.

Unless its a fake client with fake id number, etc.
The agent has 5000+ followers on social media. They seem to be well known in the Toronto space. If my agent did that to me, I'd want someone to tell me. I wouldn't trust my agent to come forward and tell me they screwed this up...
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1383 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
That's a big screw up if real data was used.

Not much the client can do unfortunately besides monitoring their credit history.
Sr. Member
Jan 5, 2020
777 posts
1069 upvotes
FedExpress wrote: I noticed an agent post a zoom call video on youtube today where they are going over a PSA with a client and it's showing the clients, full name, address, SIN, DOB, etc. I have to believe this was by accident but the client's personal info is now open to anyone with malicious intent. I will be messaging the real estate agent to inform him of this mistake, but should I also let the client know? Their email address/name are clearly visible. What would you do? It's unnerving to see errors like this and someone's personal information put on display...
That seems like a lot of personal information that usually aren't included in a PSA. Social insurance number wouldn't be included in a typical PSA and also even the DOB.
[OP]
Member
Sep 11, 2017
373 posts
255 upvotes
I can confirm the video includes clients Full Name, Personal Address, DOB, SIN, signature, phone number, details of exact unit/project they purchased in. The client is in the zoom call asking the agent questions about the PSA. It appears to be a 1X1 call between the agent and client, and the agent uploaded it to youtube
[OP]
Member
Sep 11, 2017
373 posts
255 upvotes
I'm looking at the video and it's all there clear as day. The agent also makes a comment on how the client's birthday was 'recently'. They both laugh...
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3318 posts
3648 upvotes
Toronto
what an idiot agent ....its amazing the people out there doing business , unreal.....
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3318 posts
3648 upvotes
Toronto
FedExpress wrote: The agent has 5000+ followers on social media. They seem to be well known in the Toronto space. If my agent did that to me, I'd want someone to tell me. I wouldn't trust my agent to come forward and tell me they screwed this up...
btw I can buy 5000 followers in 2 seconds on several forums I know...

that is the biggest scam going in real estate, IG and social media followers
Jr. Member
Oct 22, 2019
100 posts
84 upvotes
joepipe wrote: btw I can buy 5000 followers in 2 seconds on several forums I know...

that is the biggest scam going in real estate, IG and social media followers
I don't think that's really the point. His personal information is on the internet, public. Eventually, people will discover it, especially with people looking at real estate hashtags.
Jr. Member
Oct 22, 2019
100 posts
84 upvotes
OP: You should take a screen shot and submit it to the agent's agency. Super unprofessional.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3318 posts
3648 upvotes
Toronto
nchan01 wrote: I don't think that's really the point. His personal information is on the internet, public. Eventually, people will discover it, especially with people looking at real estate hashtags.
I understand, im saying dont be fooled by the 5000 followers because 4800 of them are probably bots...

and what PSA asks for a SIN # ? thats definitely a no no ....
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3318 posts
3648 upvotes
Toronto
nchan01 wrote: OP: You should take a screen shot and submit it to the agent's agency. Super unprofessional.
and submit it to OREA and PIPEDA and get him fined.....
[OP]
Member
Sep 11, 2017
373 posts
255 upvotes
joepipe wrote: btw I can buy 5000 followers in 2 seconds on several forums I know...

that is the biggest scam going in real estate, IG and social media followers
True....but going through this agents profile though, his engagement from his followers on his posts are high and he has other well known financial/real estate personalities in the city engaging with him on posts...I'm confident it's real engagement.
Jr. Member
Oct 22, 2019
100 posts
84 upvotes
Why don't you contact the agency's office and let them know? (Are they essential business?)
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3318 posts
3648 upvotes
Toronto
FedExpress wrote: True....but going through this agents profile though, his engagement from his followers on his posts are high and he has other well known financial/real estate personalities in the city engaging with him on posts...I'm confident it's real engagement.
then its even more amazingly stupid that he exposed his clients personal info.....

can you post the video?
Newbie
Jul 29, 2019
47 posts
107 upvotes
joepipe wrote: then its even more amazingly stupid that he exposed his clients personal info.....

can you post the video?
Please do not post the video here. The last thing we want is everyone from RFD to see the person's personal information.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5792 posts
2958 upvotes
Thornhill
That's extremely reckless if it's real information - worse if ihis channel is open access.

That he's well known and has a following of other well knows who actually haven't flagged it means they're just as unprofessional and uninformed as he is, sadly a lot of them exist and don't know half what they should know. Good for you OP to be more astute than him.

Take a look at the forms see if you can see the heading the SIN is usually asked for on Schedule B and should never be provided until closing has occurred and also a form called Individual Identification Information Record, the address too can be on the latter but also on a page with a whole bunch of other signatures - toward the lower half with the lawyer's information. Or it could be on a page called Trade Record Sheet.

Were I in your shoes, I'd try to alert the cliant so that they know where to look should they rrun into any identity issues.
[OP]
Member
Sep 11, 2017
373 posts
255 upvotes
The client's SIN is visible under the client's signature on the page the speaks to the total price of the unit & deposit/payment structure. Both the builder's representative and the client have signed this specific page of the PSA. Client's full name and DOB are also on this page...

Top