Travel

Toronto AIRPORT - Swissport on STRIKE - finding new ways to DISRUPT ...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 7:44 am
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
lubmar wrote: looks good ... the only cancelled or delayed are Air Canada ...
Funny Eh? A strike at the airport and it does not involve Air Canada and the only flights messed up are Air Canada flights :facepalm:
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11547 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
No impact at ytz right?
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Baggage delays could worsen today...

There’s been mounting frustration at Pearson airport over baggage delays caused by 700 striking workers. And things are only expected to get worse on Sunday.

Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
tk1000 wrote: Baggage delays could worsen today...

There’s been mounting frustration at Pearson airport over baggage delays caused by 700 striking workers. And things are only expected to get worse on Sunday.

I guess I am to picky , but I see in the clip planes from Air Canada and WestJet ? (those are not on strike)
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13164 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Has anyone here been delayed as a result of the strike yet? I've got some friends coming here on a layover with Austrian Airlines this weekend.

As the flight is VIE-YYZ-YEG, they will go through immigration at YYZ, as well as having to take their luggage and then transfer it to the domestic airline, correct? The potential delay could be with the luggage part as Austrian uses Swissport.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I worked as a baggage handler for swissport for 4 years at yyz. I can't say much about upper management but the supervisors and my colleagues were good people who did their job as required.

It sucks to see this happen but this is the reality of working at the airport. The company who bids the lowest for an airline contract wins and that puts pressure on the entire baggage handling company. I saw it happen to me when we lost westjet to Menzies, basically had 2 months or so of servicing left before people either got laid off or switched to Menzies (for lower pay).

I wish all the baggage handlers the best!
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
893 upvotes
Flying into yyz Thursday 2pm...any updates on luggage delays?
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
Swissport workers are "blocking/slowing" down cars at the parking entrance for airport workers ... not nice ...
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
Fjr2005 wrote: Flying into yyz Thursday 2pm...any updates on luggage delays?
did not hear anything about luggage delays ...
I guess you will know soon ... let us know how is it ...
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
have those 30 airlines switched companies temporarily ??
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
893 upvotes
lubmar wrote: did not hear anything about luggage delays ...
I guess you will know soon ... let us know how is it ...
230 pm Sunwing arrival from St Johns at YYZ no baggage delays
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
I landed back in YYZ from AMS after a week or so in Europe on Jet Airways. When waiting for baggage it was a huge shit show (large flight) with a large number of bags being manually pulled off the belt by workers and thrown aside. Many people were confused from the various piles around the belts so there was a lot of mass confusion. After all the dust settled one of my checked bags from a previous layover never showed up but another person travelling with me got theirs. So I'm still missing the bag. Had to fill out a claim form and hopefully they will find it and have it sent to my house. Luckily only clothes so not a big deal but such an inconvenience.

I have no respect for union workers...if you don't like the job or the way the company is treating you then do what we do in the private sector...go find another job and move on with your life. I know many people are just trying to go to work and pay their bills but you signed up for it when you started working at a union shop...
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
451 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
fusion2k2k wrote: I landed back in YYZ from AMS after a week or so in Europe on Jet Airways. When waiting for baggage it was a huge shit show (large flight) with a large number of bags being manually pulled off the belt by workers and thrown aside. Many people were confused from the various piles around the belts so there was a lot of mass confusion. After all the dust settled one of my checked bags from a previous layover never showed up but another person travelling with me got theirs. So I'm still missing the bag. Had to fill out a claim form and hopefully they will find it and have it sent to my house. Luckily only clothes so not a big deal but such an inconvenience.

I have no respect for union workers...if you don't like the job or the way the company is treating you then do what we do in the private sector...go find another job and move on with your life. I know many people are just trying to go to work and pay their bills but you signed up for it when you started working at a union shop...
Swissport workers are in private sector

And you have no right to complain..you took a cheapo airline..so deal with consequences. this is how private sector works..pay less get less
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Doubleshot wrote: ......

And you have no right to complain..you took a cheapo airline..so deal with consequences. this is how private sector works..pay less get less
Of course you can. Your reasons make no sense. In the baggage handling world, all bags from all carriers are sent along the same baggage belts and to the same carousels. You may get less service on the aircraft but the bags all intermix on and off.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13164 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Doubleshot wrote: Swissport workers are in private sector

Jet Airways is a full service airline; it's not Ryanair or anything. At any rate, all baggage gets handled the same regardless of airline.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote: Swissport workers are in private sector

Sorry, I stand corrected. Private sector wasn't the right word...I just mean the non-union work environment.

And update on my luggage...got delivered to my house 2.5 days after landing. Late but better then never.
Last edited by fusion2k2k on Aug 4th, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 27, 2016
54 posts
69 upvotes
lubmar wrote: Swissport workers are "blocking/slowing" down cars at the parking entrance for airport workers ... not nice ...
I work at the airport and park there too. I noticed the opposite. The gate was wide open for a few days this week where anyone could just come in and park.