Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Toronto Bike Share] 40% off yearly membership w/Presto card

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2018 5:22 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 26, 2009
23 posts
7 upvotes
Anybody know when the deal expires? I'm out of town for the next couple weeks, so I'd rather not get it till I'm back. Don't wanna miss out though. I can't find anything about expiry on the link.
Sep 29, 2009
706 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
Signed up yesterday. Key hasn't arrived of course, but was able to take a bike out on the pass using Transit app.
Sep 29, 2009
706 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transp ... r-you.html
Card users will be eligible for a 40 per cent discount in the second year of membership, a 30 per cent discount in the third year, and so on, until the fifth year, when they would get a 10 per cent markdown.
So presumably this means if you let the auto-renew stay on, you'll continue to get discounts. 30-40% would definitely still be nice. Once it hits 20 there might be better deals.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2737 posts
363 upvotes
queerasmoi wrote: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transp ... r-you.html
Card users will be eligible for a 40 per cent discount in the second year of membership, a 30 per cent discount in the third year, and so on, until the fifth year, when they would get a 10 per cent markdown.
So presumably this means if you let the auto-renew stay on, you'll continue to get discounts. 30-40% would definitely still be nice. Once it hits 20 there might be better deals.
Not quite.

Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1167 posts
340 upvotes
smuncky wrote:
queerasmoi wrote: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transp ... r-you.html
Not quite.

Crappy policy considering the system's most loyal users who signed up before the roll-out and discount are being screwed over. I think it would be pretty easy to cancel my membership next year and to use a different credit card and just to take advantage of the 40% discount!
Sep 29, 2009
706 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
Well I had an existing account under the old system but my account went dormant for months before the transition to Motivate tech so as far as their system was concerned I never existed.

Then I created an account in the Transit app for day passes. I am able to log into that from the web but that account doesn't let me buy annual subscriptions.

For the discount I used a new username and different password. It's the same credit card as my day pass account but it did not complain about that.

In my account the only option that shows up for renewal plan is "Annual PRESTO". So presumably they'll have to figure out what to do with that when renewals come up.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1327 posts
993 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
Bikeshare is a public service, like transit it's subsidized in all of the hundreds of cities around the world that have such a system: it's a global innovation and it doesn't come free.

I'm all for getting deals, but I dislike seeing people try to game the system. That just makes rules tighter. Being decent is easier for all.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26216 posts
39767 upvotes
Toronto
MooseOnLoose wrote:

I'm all for getting deals, but I dislike seeing people try to game the system. That just makes rules tighter. Being decent is easier for all.
Some leeches on RFD ruin it for all. I posted about a discounted TFC soccer game for families dealing with autism. Mods had to remove it because a small number of unscrupulous RFD members were going to abuse it. Nothing shocks me anymore, sad.
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Sep 29, 2009
706 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
Well my day pass Bike Share account used two $7 day passes and one $15 3-day pass earlier this summer, so all in all they got $29 extra from me to compensate for me not actually being a "new" member when I got my discount from $90 to $45. I think that's pretty fair to the bike share operators.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1327 posts
993 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
Does anyone know if there is a time limitation on this special? Is it going to expire sometime soon? I don't need a Bikeshare subscription for at least a month but I'd hate to miss out on this deal
May 13, 2011
60 posts
6 upvotes
East York, Toronto
MooseOnLoose wrote: Does anyone know if there is a time limitation on this special? Is it going to expire sometime soon? I don't need a Bikeshare subscription for at least a month but I'd hate to miss out on this deal
You can email and ask about the deal, but if you can't get a definite answer I'd just get the deal man. At this rate, its less than $4 a month. I'm gonna be saving so much commuting to work now.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1327 posts
993 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
daonlyplaya wrote: You can email and ask about the deal, but if you can't get a definite answer I'd just get the deal man. At this rate, its less than $4 a month. I'm gonna be saving so much commuting to work now.
Okay did it, thanks all for this amazing deal. Driving in the city is no deal, and the TTC is pricey too... for downtown, nothing beats Bike Share! Worry-free A to B! Love it!
Nov 20, 2008
49 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
I've tried to find an answer to this but maybe one of you already found it - is this deal only for new Bikeshare members or can an existing member get in on it too?
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1327 posts
993 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
zoltan wrote: I've tried to find an answer to this but maybe one of you already found it - is this deal only for new Bikeshare members or can an existing member get in on it too?
I don't know about previous BikeShare members, but I was a member back when it was run by Bixi a few years ago, and I was able to get this deal.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1327 posts
993 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
Using my new membetship over the last two frosty days. About eight trips would've cost me $24 on TTC, maybe 100 in Ubers and probably even more in car ownership. Bike share is the transportation bargain of the century even without the discount! Plus I probably put a week or two on the end of my life just by getting around on my own steam, LOL!
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2008
1615 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto
Is this a first year only deal? Or 50% off until you have a presto card deal?
Zoomer for phone + Carrytel for internet + Tangerine bank account + Stack debit card + Great Canadian rebates, ebates, drop and paymi for rebates.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
vtse wrote: I don't think they have the infrastructure to maintain such a large radius from what I can tell. They need to refill bike stations every night and the maintenance for the stations and the bikes themselves are an issue itself. I think the slow roll out to see what they can manage is best. Downtown is a good place to start as that'll give realistic expectations of maintenance.

Just one mans opinion, don't flame please.
It wouldn't make much sense uptown like Lawrence/Yorkmills/Finch. If they had bikes at the TTC stations only, where would you go? Get off the subway, ride around aimlessly, and park the bike back at the station? You wouldn't want to ride from Finch to Sheppard, etc... May as well take the subway than lol. And if you got off the subway to visit a friend's house, you wouldn't want to take the bike and lock it somewhere since you're paying per 30 minutes.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic