The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2020 7:31 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1472 posts
514 upvotes
Abbotsford
gman wrote: Dickey is old and has only one year contract to go. Mets is not looking for winning the championship in the near future. Why would Mets offer a big contract to a pitcher they do not want to keep? Giving him a big contract also makes him hard to trade away. Mets is more or less have to trade him away now. Otherwise, they will get no value back once he goes to Free Agent. Similar situation when Jays traded away Halladay.

Halladay is 3 years younger but he was hurt last year. Dickey is 3 years older but he is not hurt and he is a knuckleballer. Since he is 39, that is why his price tag is "affordable". Otherwise, I don't think Jays can afford to pay a "regular" Cy Young.
Mets did not low ball for any reason other than they were lowballing. Dickey's contract with the Jay's is an indication of the difficulty in evaluating knuckleballers more than his age (despite his track record the last 3 years) - but again it's more realistic than the Mets offer.

Your comment about a healthy Halladay at 34 being better than Dickey any day tells me you really have not looked into Dickey's success much. I'm not saying a 100% Halladay wouldn't be better, but if he as this point, it's not near the gap you're giving.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1472 posts
514 upvotes
Abbotsford
BornRuff wrote: When we traded Halladay, he was in a similar contract situation. One year left on his deal with Toronto, and immediately signed an extension after the trade.
Halladay's had a no trade clause - AA's options were severely limited. In addition, the Mets could have kept Dickey with a reasonable offer, they chose not to. We could not afford to keep Halladay at the time and the league knew it.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1472 posts
514 upvotes
Abbotsford
BornRuff wrote: He couldn't command Halladay numbers from the Jays either. Do you think anyone was going to give him 20 million a year?
no, but you're associating what the Mets were doing as if that had any connection to ability. They were playing games, bottom line
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1472 posts
514 upvotes
Abbotsford
BornRuff wrote:
Even today though, I doubt the Philly would accept a straight up trade, Halladay for Dickey.
Halladay's a shell of himself and has 1 yr left. I'd say the Phillies would do that in a heartbeat.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1472 posts
514 upvotes
Abbotsford
BornRuff wrote: Was, as in past tense. His body of work would suggest that he is a much safer bet.
Man, go look at Dickey's performance the last 3 years - body or work tells me he's better than Halladay moving forward, especially with Halladay's velocity starting to decline.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
1672 posts
32 upvotes
Ok ... I'm out of this debate ... Only time will tell if the deals were a success. I'm excited ... That's all I care about for now

This article sums up my feelings perfectly ... Worth a read
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/2142 ... rd-to-beat

So changing the subject ... Going through Twitter, it appears as if Vernon Wells is on the trading block (surprise surprise). The shocking part is there appears to be a market. Rumors are that both the Yanks and Phillies are interested. How the ***** is there a market for his guy? You would have to think that the Angels will be sending a TON of money in the trade right?

Please Please PLEASE let the Yanks get him ... Makes the division that much easier to win ... Hah

What a train wreck that guy turned in to ... Remember how big a prospect he was? Heh
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1472 posts
514 upvotes
Abbotsford
mdc wrote: Ok ... I'm out of this debate ... Only time will tell if the deals were a success. I'm excited ... That's all I care about for now
Hindsights 20/20 - if this blows up that doesn't mean this was a bad deal. At the same time of TDA breaks his neck and never plays another day, that doesn't mean it's an overwhelming steal of the century. This is the right deal for the next 3 years, and as a fan of the Jays, that's all I care about. We haven't made any dumb deals and are in a real position to compete in the AL East for a few seasons, first time I've been this excited in a long time.

Vernon Wells is on the trade block? Lol. That was AA's single greatest deal.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
1672 posts
32 upvotes
Gay because the Dickey and Johnson are in the back?
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
158 upvotes
Longobongo wrote: how'd they get those guys in jays unis already?
mdc wrote: Photoshop
+1

Btw, are MLB players the ugliest professional athletes or what?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
162 upvotes
Football players are way more uglier