• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2021 8:51 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2006
2276 posts
Toronto
canabiz wrote: Buddy Bell calls J.P. a *little man who whines too much*

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Baseba ... 3-sun.html

Still scratching my head on why the Jays needed to get into a bidding war over Gil Meche. Jim Rome today said *It's Gil Meche, it's not Roger Clemens or Barry Zito*. Can't say I didn't agree with Rome
J.P is a whiner, everyone knows. But royals are not better, they didnt show any professionalism with this come back
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
1948 posts
258 upvotes
[QUOTE]According to one baseball source, Ricciardi has floated to Wells a proposal of seven years and $126 million, the average annual value of which would exceed Soriano's contract with the Chicago Cubs (eight years, $136 million) by $1 million.[/QUOTE]

Totally hope thats true.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes

$18M sounds about right. Might be a little lower than what Wells can get though... that's tough to call. Seven years is long too.

Hmmm... I don't about this. This really ties up the payroll.

In other news, Rockies got a speedy CF in Tavares, and two good pitching prospects for Jennings. I wonder if we could get more for Wells... I would love a Ervin Santana, Shields, Aybar SS deal with LAA. Aybar-Hill duo!
Apr 12, 2006
414 posts
95 upvotes
spike-spiegel wrote: $18M sounds about right. Might be a little lower than what Wells can get though... that's tough to call. Seven years is long too.
I think 7 year contract is a really good length...wells is only 28 right now and will be 35 when it expires and we would have locked him up for pretty much the "prime" of his career.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
39 upvotes
proposed 7 years 18 million... and yet people 'think' the Jays are gunshy about money
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3343 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
18mill/yr seems pretty fair...
could compare it to beltran's deal...quite similar players...both 5 tool players only beltran seems to offer more in the offensive department and wells offers more in the defensive department.
beltran only made about 14 mill last season...but then his deal was made a couple seasons ago...so the inflated price seems right.
if wells doesn't sign, i would hate to say it but it would be time to explore deals seriously...
but i would definately spend it on wells instead imediocre pitching.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
I don't think he'll sign. It is a good deal but something tells me it is only the beginning.

Wells will counter for a $20 million which the Jays should never agree. They will balk and should trade him.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
1891 posts
629 upvotes
agreed, vdub would be smarter to wait for free agency to get his 20 mil. 18/yr is a good offer by the jays though, thats more than beltran/soriano money, very fair. too bad as i like v, but looks like we'll be getting some pitching help if he shoots this down.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
61 upvotes
^the offer is for 20 million/yr

1st year 5.6million (already under contract)
6 years for ~120million = 20 million a year
---------------------------------------
equals = 7 years ~126million
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4430 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
trade wells go for ichiro next year
I die every Monday at 7am and reborn Friday at 4pm
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3343 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
ElChico wrote: ^the offer is for 20 million/yr

1st year 5.6million (already under contract)
6 years for ~120million = 20 million a year
---------------------------------------
equals = 7 years ~126million
um...the 5.6 on the upcoming yr is the end of an existing contract...
and then 126mill for another 7yrs?...or am i wrong?
isn't that how it works for contracts?...
lets say he accepts...doesn't he hafta play out his existing contract before the new one kicks in? or does the new contract kick in immediately.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
61 upvotes
SoGood wrote: um...the 5.6 on the upcoming yr is the end of an existing contract...
and then 126mill for another 7yrs?...or am i wrong?
isn't that how it works for contracts?...
lets say he accepts...doesn't he hafta play out his existing contract before the new one kicks in? or does the new contract kick in immediately.
it would be a "re-up" meaning that it would pay 126 for the next 7 years, not 7 years after next. see the Chris Carpenter deal for an example.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1192 posts
1 upvote
skyblue12 wrote: so much for signing gagne :\
Eric Gagne, Rangers strike 1-year deal (CBC)
"There are no pacts between lions and men, and wolves and lambs have no concord." - Homer
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
39 upvotes
six-year, $52 million deal for Matsusaka

wow.. i wish i can get that kind of deal before pitching a single pitch in the MLB
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2006
2276 posts
Toronto
there are a tonne of players next year like the person said before ichiro. I think someone like him would be a better fit, but then again, most of those players probably wouldnt sign. If rogers makes alot of money next year, expect JP to sign another big name.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2813 posts
25 upvotes
rdtx2002 wrote: six-year, $52 million deal for Matsusaka

wow.. i wish i can get that kind of deal before pitching a single pitch in the MLB
work on your knuckleball ... with your left hand ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
kevin01 wrote: there are a tonne of players next year like the person said before ichiro. I think someone like him would be a better fit, but then again, most of those players probably wouldnt sign. If rogers makes alot of money next year, expect JP to sign another big name.
Jays have some solid outfielder prospects led by Lind and Snider. They lack young pitching stud prospects. I don't think JP would be competing with other teams for Ichiro, Andruw, Hunter.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
3828 posts
18 upvotes
Now they get to negotiate and play the waiting game. At least soon the Jays will know where Vernon stands and it'll either be Vernon stays a Jay for a long time or they trade him and should get plenty back. There won't be a waiting-till he's-a-free-agent-and-hoping crap where they risk getting nothing at all.
i think this line's mostly filler
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2006
2069 posts
50 upvotes
Matsuz deal was fair and this guy has pitched against MLB talent and done real well.....it was almost a bargin deal...

and if the Padilla got 11mill/yr...most certainly Matsuz is worth 52/over 6

btw...i hope JP wakes up tommorow....and looks at the new Yanks/Bosox rosters......if Papelbon switches over and pulls a smoltz...the sox will be the fave in the AL East