Sports & Recreation

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2021 8:01 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
39 upvotes
adehbone wrote: Matsuz deal was fair and this guy has pitched against MLB talent and done real well.....it was almost a bargin deal...

and if the Padilla got 11mill/yr...most certainly Matsuz is worth 52/over 6

btw...i hope JP wakes up tommorow....and looks at the new Yanks/Bosox rosters......if Papelbon switches over and pulls a smoltz...the sox will be the fave in the AL East
well... you also have to factor the 51 million 'signing fee'
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
adehbone wrote: Matsuz deal was fair and this guy has pitched against MLB talent and done real well.....it was almost a bargin deal...

and if the Padilla got 11mill/yr...most certainly Matsuz is worth 52/over 6

btw...i hope JP wakes up tommorow....and looks at the new Yanks/Bosox rosters......if Papelbon switches over and pulls a smoltz...the sox will be the fave in the AL East

Sucks to be Dice-K. Lower contract just because of the posting fee. He'll make it all back in endorsements though. And Boras drove up the price for Zito with this anyways. Sox got a good deal, $17M for six years on what-should-be young dominant pitcher. Here's hoping he's a flop! Though I think he'll be good this year and then dominating in the second year on.

And if any Red Sox fans or personnel whine about not being able to spend and compete like the Yankees, they should be muzzled.

ElChico wrote: it would be a "re-up" meaning that it would pay 126 for the next 7 years, not 7 years after next. see the Chris Carpenter deal for an example.
It is not a re-up. The offer will start after the next season.
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... eball/home
Oct 21, 2005
181 posts
ggs wrote: agreed, vdub would be smarter to wait for free agency to get his 20 mil. 18/yr is a good offer by the jays though, thats more than beltran/soriano money, very fair. too bad as i like v, but looks like we'll be getting some pitching help if he shoots this down.
I don't think Wells will get 20 mil if he waited until next year. There are going to be 3 other big time CF'ers in Hunter, Ichiro and A. Jones. Wells' number could also dip next year and/or he could get injured which could affect his value.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Leafsin06 wrote: I don't think Wells will get 20 mil if he waited until next year. There are going to be 3 other big time CF'ers in Hunter, Ichiro and A. Jones. Wells' number could also dip next year and/or he could get injured which could affect his value.
That may be true. But his numbers are just as likely to improve for the same arguement
Banned
Dec 15, 2005
2286 posts
As Bobcat says: "Josh Tower's Isn't the Answer."

Unless he pulls off a Chris Carpenter and has this random comeback year.

We need PITCHING. PITCHING > WELLS and everyone knows that since our offense can do fine without him.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
YnD wrote: As Bobcat says: "Josh Tower's Isn't the Answer."

Unless he pulls off a Chris Carpenter and has this random comeback year.
It will never happen because Towers did not, and does not have Carp's potential. Not even close. :)

Carpenter's so-called failure here in TO was because of injuries. He was always thought of as a guy with lots of potential. It wasn't too long ago that him and Halladay were 2 of the best the Jays had in their minor systems. Both had their ups and downs, only Carpenter's problems were injuries with Halladay's were mechanics. Jays decided not to gamble on Carpenter. Oh well. St. Louis got lucky/good instinct that for sure
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
NDman wrote: It will never happen because Towers did not, and does not have Carp's potential. Not even close. :)

Carpenter's so-called failure here in TO was because of injuries. He was always thought of as a guy with lots of potential. It wasn't too long ago that him and Halladay were 2 of the best the Jays had in their minor systems. Both had their ups and downs, only Carpenter's problems were injuries with Halladay's were mechanics. Jays decided not to gamble on Carpenter. Oh well. St. Louis got lucky/good instinct that for sure
Towers might not be as bad as he was last year though. If he gets the chance, getting 5-8 wins after a disasterous 2-10, it'll be a bargain at $2.9M in this market.
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13959 posts
90 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
i think signing thomas was a big mistake that could end up costing the jays.

we could have spent the money on more pitching and resigning wells. keeping wells would have been plenty good enough for our offense, and if thomas ends up injured again for the season, it's GG! lol.
Banned
Dec 15, 2005
2286 posts
skyblue12 wrote: i think signing thomas was a big mistake that could end up costing the jays.

we could have spent the money on more pitching and resigning wells. keeping wells would have been plenty good enough for our offense, and if thomas ends up injured again for the season, it's GG! lol.
No your wrong that it was a bad assigning. But your right that they desperately need pitching. In regards to Thomas, they do need the guy to fill the clutch role in scoring runs as well. The DH position was clearly of no value to the jays last year production wise.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
YnD wrote: No your wrong that it was a bad assigning. But your right that they desperately need pitching. In regards to Thomas, they do need the guy to fill the clutch role in scoring runs as well. The DH position was clearly of no value to the jays last year production wise.
I don't think spending money on other places was really an issue with re-signing Wells. Unless they signed both Meche and Lilly, then maybe. But I think Rogers sees Jays as a good investment and doesn't pouring some more money. But money can't solve the pitching holes right now. I'm not convince Chacin is a #3 starter either, probably a #4 or 5. So I think Jays need a #3 starter. If they trade Wells, hopefully they get a legit SS prospect, a major league ready starter, and a pitching prospect at least in return. I doubt they'll get all three though.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10204 posts
3290 upvotes
Ottawa
spike-spiegel wrote: Towers might not be as bad as he was last year though. If he gets the chance, getting 5-8 wins after a disasterous 2-10, it'll be a bargain at $2.9M in this market.
I hope the Jays pitching coaches help Towers get back on his feet

He left too many balls hanging in the middle of the plate last year, easy dingers for those American League bats

His confidence was also shaken up, it's as important as the mechanics

I hope for his sake and for the Jays' sake that he would rebound and do something worthwhile for that paycheque

Cheers.
[removed]
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
I am never a fan of no-trade clause but in a way, this also means Well's intention to stay with the Jays. Considering that many experts believe Wells can score a 20M/yr after next season, this one isn't so bad
Deal Fanatic
Jun 9, 2005
7315 posts
287 upvotes
Scarborough
Seems like more and more players are demanding the opt-out clause.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
herakles wrote: Ugh.....

The deal is expected to include full no-trade protection and an opt-out clause.
Rumours are saying the no-trade will kick in the third year and the opt-out in the fourth year.

Wells would be a 10/5 player and gotten the no-trade after the four year in the contract. So I THINK the no-trade is only one year earlier. Opt-out is protection in case Jays suck and Wells wants to leave which is both a good and bad thing.

Though I'm never fan of any kind of no-trade in big monster deals like this. It ties the GM's hands way too much because the team landscape might change (see Burrell, ManRam).
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10204 posts
3290 upvotes
Ottawa
Good to hear Vern decides to stay with us

Now if only we could bring back King Carlos (in my dreams, I know) and get a few more pitchers ;-)
[removed]
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13959 posts
90 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
rumours circulating about rios and another pitcher being packaged for a vet. pitcher.. perhaps a brad penny (heard on sportsnet news) hopefully this doesn't happen.. mainly because i just purchased an alex rios jersey last season! XD