The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2020 7:31 pm
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
wow i am absolutely shocked... never saw this one coming.

the jays are really breaking the bank here. I'm surprised at all the big names they are able to attract...
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3314 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
i just hope we don't re-sign catalanatto, reed johnson needs to play and lind can be the 4th outfielder...hattig should also definately stick as an extra bat...
these guys need to their reps in the majors

i don't think we necessarily needed to sign frank thomas as our offense wasn't even the problem last yr....
it was lack of middle infielder to play with hill, and injuries to our starting staff...
could have used that money on a couple of starters and middle infielder instead all in the while giving lind and hattig AB at the DH position platooning.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
294 upvotes
Midland
I don't really care if they "overpaid" for Thomas (assuming they've signed him).
At least they have a top notch DH now.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
JP knows we need some starting pitching and a couple of middle infielders more than we needed a big bat... perhaps rogers has opened up their wallets more than expected?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
294 upvotes
Midland
Who knows, maybe this is a move that will lead to the trading of Vernon Wells.
Thomas certainly replaces Wells' batting statistics.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
gei wrote: JP knows we need some starting pitching and a couple of middle infielders more than we needed a big bat... perhaps rogers has opened up their wallets more than expected?
Blue Jays have kept that part really secretive this year unlike last year. If Ted did open up to a $100M, then I would be okay with this signing. If they are working at around $85-90, then this signing does not look too cost-efficient at this point. Could have gotten one overpriced pitcher with Thomas money.
gordholio wrote: Who knows, maybe this is a move that will lead to the trading of Vernon Wells.
In power, yes but only when healthy. Average, speed, Wells is obviously better. And defense is not possible to compare. This to trading Vernon Wells? Maybe... but I think JP made this move keeping in mind Wells in 2007 in a playoff run. After that.... we'll see.

This signing might actually push Vernon's contract just because if Jays can pay $10M to a 38-year old DH injury-risk slugger, why can't they pay $15 or 16 for a 27-year old Gold Glover with MVP-caliber production?

Glaus btw has 2 more years at around $11-12 per year left with a full no-trade clause.

SoGood wrote: i just hope we don't re-sign catalanatto, reed johnson needs to play and lind can be the 4th outfielder...hattig should also definately stick as an extra bat...
these guys need to their reps in the majors

i don't think we necessarily needed to sign frank thomas as our offense wasn't even the problem last yr....
it was lack of middle infielder to play with hill, and injuries to our starting staff...
could have used that money on a couple of starters and middle infielder instead all in the while giving lind and hattig AB at the DH position platooning.

Cat is as good as gone now. Even without this signing, I think Cat wanted to play full-time and he deserves to. He's been nothing but great as a Blue Jay. I'm not so sure on keeping a hot prospect like Lind as a DH or as a backup, rather see them have one more year in AAA. Lind should develop his outfield skills in AAA in case Wells is gone. Hattig can be a decent backup to Glaus at 3B.

The offence became a problem when the pitching became healthy but Rios got injured and Glaus struggled mightily.

But put aside the financial and the pitching problems and imagine this lineup:

Johnson
Rios
Wells
Thomas
Glaus
Overbay
Catcher (Zaun?)
Hill
SS

That might not be the Bronx Bombers but it's very good. Overbay is possibly one of the most underrated players right now. Expect another all-star from Rios too. Hill can be a .300 hitter. Between 3-4-5-6, there can be 140 HRs. Plus, unless Yankees get two marquee starters, I feel Jays rotation is better than NYY assuming they sign two starters comparable to Lilly. Boston... that's a little tighter but their lineup is whacked.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6804 posts
3259 upvotes
Papa Rogers has a lot more in his coffers than most people expect.

I remember how the Jays signed Benji Molina 2 weeks before spring training. That signing was completely out of the blue, considering the earlier off-season deals for Glaus, Ryan, Overbay, and Burnett that seemed to have exhausted the Jays' resources.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
I like JP's intention to make some noise now at the lower level FA. Judging by the reactions, this year's FA class will work like a cascade more than ever before. No one was gonna move in on Schmidt and Zito until the dust has fallen on Matsuzaka (which now it's pretty much settled); then Maddux and Glavine. Then there are the premium bats like Drew, Soriano, A. Ramirez (off market now), Carlos Lee. Then the lower tier Matthews Jr, Edmonds; then lower.

Realistically, I don't think the Jays will go after any of those guys so they might as well start early to snipe the less premium guys that the big guns are after. If Hurt is willing to DH and he's rested properly, he can still do damage. Oakland has proven that last year and I think he still has something left in his tank
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24637 posts
1801 upvotes
Markham, ON
gordholio wrote: Who knows, maybe this is a move that will lead to the trading of Vernon Wells.
i think so too....Wells for some pitching
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7613 posts
1102 upvotes
Toronto
The big hurt sure would be a nice addition. But thats too expensive to pay for a player that wont be playing in those interleague games. And what IF we do make to the world series? How's he to play at the national league home games? PH??
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4430 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
PCDawg wrote: The big hurt sure would be a nice addition. But thats too expensive to pay for a player that wont be playing in those interleague games. And what IF we do make to the world series? How's he to play at the national league home games? PH??
i guess he can learn how to catch?
I die every Monday at 7am and reborn Friday at 4pm
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1192 posts
1 upvote
If the budget isn't capped at $90M, this would be a decent signing. If it is, JP may be stretching it a bit thin if he plans on . Hopefully, TBH's ankle problems are behind him. Good for Ted Rogers and his spending. It's good to know that the profits from my cable, cell phone and TV bill will be going into something I will appreciate as a Jays fan.

We do need to ink at least one solid starter, a decent 2B/SS and go after Vernon hard. Hopefully, the money is still there to do all of these things.
"There are no pacts between lions and men, and wolves and lambs have no concord." - Homer
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
Tofu Drift Shinji wrote: If the budget isn't capped at $90M, this would be a decent signing. If it is, JP may be stretching it a bit thin if he plans on . Hopefully, TBH's ankle problems are behind him. Good for Ted Rogers and his spending. It's good to know that the profits from my cable, cell phone and TV bill will be going into something I will appreciate as a Jays fan.

We do need to ink at least one solid starter, a decent 2B/SS and go after Vernon hard. Hopefully, the money is still there to do all of these things.

Getting Thomas might let JP get a cheaper and defensively solid SS instead an all-around SS.

Looks like Jays have interest catcher Barajas. He's younger than Zaun but might ask for more money.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3314 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
i'd rather zaun instead of barajas....he knows our pitchers, very good hitter for a catcher, and a leader in the clubhouse...even if he will cost a bit more.