Sep 7, 2006
13960 posts
93 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
gstrgreg wrote: Top 3 Starting Pitchers this spring

Halladay 9 I.P, 1.00ERA, 3 K
Burnett 6 I.P, 1.50ERA, 7 K
Towers 9 I.P, 2.00ERA, 9 K
towers is doing pretty good.. but i doubt he'll be playing even 4th in the rotation when the regular season comes around. it's nice to see towers back (at least better than what he showed last year) but just because he's getting the job done in grapefruit action doesn't mean he's not going to blow it in the regular season again.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2006
2276 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Rosenthal said that the Jays are looking to trade Thompson now that Towers is playing really well. If thompson makes the opening day lineup, he makes 1.5 million this season, and has $4 million in performance bonuses. He didnt do good his last outing.
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13960 posts
93 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
kevin01 wrote: Rosenthal said that the Jays are looking to trade Thompson now that Towers is playing really well. If thompson makes the opening day lineup, he makes 1.5 million this season, and has $4 million in performance bonuses. He didnt do good his last outing.
thompson hasn't looked good at all :| he's given up like 12 runs in his last two outings.. looks like towers and ohka will be the top competitors for bottom end of the rotation.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2045 posts
74 upvotes
Cant wait till Dustin McGowan (spl?) reaches his potential. He is said to be one of the best pitchers in the future.
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13960 posts
93 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
wisdom_kid wrote: Cant wait till Dustin McGowan (spl?) reaches his potential. He is said to be one of the best pitchers in the future.
really? :| where did u get that from?
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2045 posts
74 upvotes
skyblue12 wrote: really? :| where did u get that from?
I remember watching this program on Sportsnet long time ago (2yrs ago), and they were saying that he has great potential and is going to be the future of the Jays. Even last year when he was brought up from the Minors, the commentators were bragging about him.
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13960 posts
93 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
wisdom_kid wrote: I remember watching this program on Sportsnet long time ago (2yrs ago), and they were saying that he has great potential and is going to be the future of the Jays. Even last year when he was brought up from the Minors, the commentators were bragging about him.
that was 2 years ago :| wasn't that before mcgowan tried to be a starter and failed?

i think he was ok out of the bullpen for us part of last season, but he hasn't really shown me anything amazing. i hope he isn't another one of those toronto players who have a lot of potential but end up as a bust :|
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
McGowan is never the same after he blew his elbow. League still hasn't quite figured it out how to put commands with his power. His mechanics seems to be a mess now with the numerous pitching coaches trying to tweak his delivery from what I read.

Forget about pitching. The most the Jays have in the system in pitching are B, or B+ at best (Romero and probably Prucey, who were drafted in the same year). The guys to watch right now are Lind, and Snider
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
39 upvotes
NDman wrote: McGowan is never the same after he blew his elbow. League still hasn't quite figured it out how to put commands with his power. His mechanics seems to be a mess now with the numerous pitching coaches trying to tweak his delivery from what I read.

Forget about pitching. The most the Jays have in the system in pitching are B, or B+ at best (Romero and probably Prucey, who were drafted in the same year). The guys to watch right now are Lind, and Snider
Plus McGowan was diagnosed with diabetes, so that set him back further.

McGowan has great stuff, probably as good as Doc, but his command and mental game is holding him back. This year in AAA is his make or break year. He'll either make the team next year or go on waivers. That sucks because he was supposed to have ace potential. I'll gladly settle for him being a starter in the majors.

I disagree about League. His command was much better last year and his stuff is just good. He's longer just throwing that 100mph heat down the middle. Much better command and a good sinker now. Very suitable for the setup, I think he'll do great.

Jays are deep in mediocre pitching. That's what happens when JP's drafting philosophy was to get signable and safer picks rather than high schoolers with higher ceilings.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2006
2276 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
You guys need to stay up to date with the Blue Jays. Im not saying this is true, but Richard Griffin said that McGowan has fallen a lot from where he was last season, and his days as a Jay are numbered. Going from untouchable to being close to traded, McGowan is "mentally" done with the Jays, and will not pitch for them again.

I dont know if its true or not, but Griffin does like to BS.

Oh yeah, Towers was bad today againts Philly. 4 ER or 5 i forgot in 4.2 innings pitched. Jays lost 10-6
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12183 posts
5650 upvotes
Ottawa
Until I see some consistent performances in Towers, he can't be counted on as a 4th or 5th guy in our rotations. A spot in the bull-pen would be spotty at best as well.

I wouldn't bet my Canadian Tire money on him.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
kevin01 wrote: You guys need to stay up to date with the Blue Jays. Im not saying this is true, but Richard Griffin said that McGowan has fallen a lot from where he was last season, and his days as a Jay are numbered. Going from untouchable to being close to traded, McGowan is "mentally" done with the Jays, and will not pitch for them again.

I dont know if its true or not, but Griffin does like to BS.

Oh yeah, Towers was bad today againts Philly. 4 ER or 5 i forgot in 4.2 innings pitched. Jays lost 10-6
Yup, im up to date...McGowan has to start from scratch all over again...ie throwing and playing catch. It's a huge disappointment

btw F Towers...he's a wannabe. He can pitch well in spring ball all he wants (ie like last spring)...but there's nothing like the regular season (and hopefully in the playoffs). This guy cracks if he lets one base runner on.
Sep 28, 2003
270 posts
8 upvotes
Towers was a huge dissapointment last year. That part of the Rotation killed the Jays. Hopefully not the same again this year !
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2006
2276 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I am getting the feeling that JP will make a trade for a pitcher before the end of May. Im sure he is not happy with thompson or feeling safe with Towers. Towers cannot handle pressure, hell let one batter hit on him, and hell just go down from there allowing a lot of runs in the inning. Even though he does this, im sure he is going to pitch atleast 3 games for the jays before they decide on him. If he goes 3-0, 2-0,2-1, 1-1, hell stay depending on how he pitched.

This is why i hate spring training, we cant watch the game. Nobody got to see how towers pitched, he couldve pitched good but the hitters hit better. That guy on NYY who pitched againts Philly the other day, i think his name was Kei Iguwa or something. He pitched BAD, but he pitched like 6 scoreless innings. He kept missing his spots, and the phillies were just really bad offensively.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)