Ogata wrote: Not with that horrendous OF
Yep, failure.
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8284 posts
2882 upvotes
Mississauga
Ogata wrote: Yuck Travis Shaw coming back to the AL East..was hoping for that OF..guess no EE at this rate
Travis Shaw is a good cheap low risk signing. Last year was obviously a horrendous year for him. But hitting inside the dome will obviously have some power benefits, and you can see if he has any of 2017 or 2018 in him still. He's only 29 so isn't declining due to age. Whether it's the injury or 17/18 were flukes, we'll soon find out.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8525 posts
2307 upvotes
Mississauga
kenchau wrote: Travis Shaw is a good cheap low risk signing. Last year was obviously a horrendous year for him. But hitting inside the dome will obviously have some power benefits, and you can see if he has any of 2017 or 2018 in him still. He's only 29 so isn't declining due to age. Whether it's the injury or 17/18 were flukes, we'll soon find out.
Cheap insurance with upside. Go Jays Go
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9042 posts
2897 upvotes
welcome Ryu

4 years $20MM

full no-trade protection and doesn’t have an opt-out clause
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
7210 posts
320 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote: welcome Ryu

4 years $20MM

Sweet more Korean / Japanese sponsorship to see now..hopefully that translates to more fans

Queue the Street Fighter Memes though he's Korean...lets hope he stays healthy...I'd hate to see that 80 million go down the drain in injuries *cough* Josh Johnson

Now Atkins gotta fill up the pen with some fire arms and an OF..
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9042 posts
2897 upvotes
Ogata wrote: Sweet more Korean / Japanese sponsorship to see now..hopefully that translates to more fans

Queue the Street Fighter Memes though he's Korean...lets hope he stays healthy...I'd hate to see that 80 million go down the drain in injuries *cough* Josh Johnson

Now Atkins gotta fill up the pen with some fire arms and an OF..
Agree.

Add a couple of fireballers in the pen and a good defensive outfielder may make things interesting this season. The wild card may be in sight
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8284 posts
2882 upvotes
Mississauga
blexann wrote: welcome Ryu

4 years $20MM

Have to say, I am surprised they were willing to spend $80M over 4 years.

But I like it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9042 posts
2897 upvotes
kenchau wrote: Have to say, I am surprised they were willing to spend $80M over 4 years.

But I like it.
Me too but I think they had no choice. And still we are only at $100MM payroll (it was 75 going into today +Shaw and Ryu puts us around 100). That's not that big of a payroll.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
1316 posts
127 upvotes
As I’m of Korean descent and have been following him since the days he pitched in the KBO and the national team, I’m stoked to see him here (and expect to see lot of Koreans in attendance), but I’ll be honest; when the rumours first circulated I was quite skeptical on whether he would be the right fit here, and I am still not sure; besides his worrying injury history and declining velocity, he primarily pitches to contact and we probably have one of the worst infield defence in the league as of now... I would have actually preferred more of fireballer or a flyball type pitcher for this team. But should he remain relatively healthy, hone his off speed pitches further to make up for his lack of velocity (he already does have a nasty changeup but wish he’d hone his curve/slider) and eat at least 180 innings like he managed to do this year, then I do see about in-form David Wells/J.A Happ/Jimmy Key as his ceiling. Realistically though, I’d be happy with Mark Buehrle/Marco Estrada level performance...

If anything I’m just happy that the FO finally pushed the envelope and are finally taking some risks and doing things. Hopefully this isn’t it and we can bring some more pitching help through trades.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8525 posts
2307 upvotes
Mississauga
antigua1999 wrote: He wont sign him. Ryu is using the Jays to get a better offer. Go Jays Go
In this case I'm glad I was wrong. I think they overpaid but time will tell. The really good news is with signing Ryu we wont be trading for Price. Unfortunately he is past his prime and damaged goods. Go Jay's Go
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6530 posts
4529 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: In this case I'm glad I was wrong. I think they overpaid but time will tell. The really good news is with signing Ryu we wont be trading for Price. Unfortunately he is past his prime and damaged goods. Go Jay's Go
His agent, Scott Boras, attempted to spin his injury history as a positive.

"He is, age-wise, 32, but the truth is, innings-wise, he's probably about 26 or 27, because he doesn't have many innings on his arm," Boras said in October to the South Korean Yonhap News Agency. "That makes him very valuable."
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7175 posts
1942 upvotes
T dot 6
9394 wrote: His agent, Scott Boras, attempted to spin his injury history as a positive.

"He is, age-wise, 32, but the truth is, innings-wise, he's probably about 26 or 27, because he doesn't have many innings on his arm," Boras said in October to the South Korean Yonhap News Agency. "That makes him very valuable."
LOL, he doesn't have many innings on his arm because he was hurt a lot. People aren't cars Boras. I'm amazing agents and lawyers can just shovel BS with as straight face. But there is a reason a lot of top athletes use Boras, he gets them paid.

Ryu will probably get hurt considering his history and age but you gotta shoot your shot. Some times it works out (Raps world champs!), some times it doesn't.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
1316 posts
127 upvotes
I just hope that this signing won’t end up like the last few Korean Boras clients, which are known as some of the worst contracts ever... Chan Ho Park (a complete bust, and apparently he went in hiding an injury which immediately became a problem) and Shin Soo Choo (he at least gets on base consistently, but can’t play defence and not anywhere near worth the money). Texas got completely fleeced twice there. At least this Ryu contract isn’t as completely crippling though, even if it falls short of expectations.

Interesting tidbit; Ryu’s wife (formerly a famous sports announcer, pretty hot too) is pregnant currently and is expecting a child next year... I’m sure that played a hand in Ryu signing here since Toronto/Canada is well known in Korea for being a great place to raise and school your kids in.