The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2021 9:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
actyper wrote: How can you say he's not worth that much if you don't watch baseball? Comeback player of the year, 4th in mvp voting.
Well actually, Thome won Comeback which was a ripoff to Thomas. No way Thome had a better year than Frank.

In other news, Matthews, Angels agree to 5-year, $50 million deal
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2672448

Personally, I think he had a lucky in a contract year. Also, he doesn't provide the protection for Vlad like they need. So Wells trade might be a bit slimmer now, who knows.
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13959 posts
90 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
i think that thomas is a great player.. only thing is that i don't think we need him in our lineup. even though people say we've been looking for a good DH for a long time now since hillenbrand was gone, it's not like we need a frank thomas to fill that spot. we have plenty of power and run producing players and we're taking a HUGE risk with thomas because he is so injury prone. maybe we should have spent the money on pitching and maybe signing a julio lugo instead.. at least that gives us more depth at the SS position and lugo can hit 10-15 homers.. not comparable to thomas' 39 hrs and 114 rbi's but thats why we have glaus overbay and wells. rios is also beginning to hit for a lot of power as well.. i dunno like i said thomas is great but i don't think he's the solution to our problems.. in fact it manufactured more problems cause now we don't have much money to spend and with zaun on the verge of not resigning with the jays, we'll need as much money as possible to fill in those slots that we need, MORE important than the DH spot.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2477 posts
13 upvotes
spike-spiegel wrote: Well actually, Thome won Comeback which was a ripoff to Thomas. No way Thome had a better year than Frank.

Personally, I think he had a lucky in a contract year. Also, he doesn't provide the protection for Vlad like they need. So Wells trade might be a bit slimmer now, who knows.
For real? I actually had no idea who won, I just thought it was a given that Thomas would win! How was Thome in 05? I thought he always had decent years.

I agree, GMjr I don't think is that great of a hitter. On the field is a different story.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 9, 2005
7315 posts
287 upvotes
Scarborough
Is it just me dreaming, or does Gagne setting up for Ryan sound like a gamble worth taking? Since Gagne has been out for 2 years, I don't see why we can't have him sign a performance clause contract. A base salary of a million or so and with clauses such as X number of appearance, etc etc.
Mar 15, 2006
639 posts
24 upvotes
Gagne is done, injuries and I'm pretty sure his breakout year was thanks to some performance enhancing drugs.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2004
1809 posts
6 upvotes
i would sign gagne.

1. hes canadian. creates hype. hell, if corey koskie can bring some attention to the toronto fans... gagne should be 10x better.
2. you sign him to a short deal cause he's been injured...
3. you wouldnt offer him too much money cause he has been so injured...
4. if he sucks, big deal. youve got him til the end of the year
5. if he brings his game, you've got a lockdown pitcher
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2005
1140 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
spike-spiegel wrote: Well actually, Thome won Comeback which was a ripoff to Thomas. No way Thome had a better year than Frank.

Any chance of Anaheim trading for V-dub is gone now that they signed Matthews. They probably matched up the best with the Jays in terms of having the best MLB ready prospects. That being said, Texas now has a huge hole in CF. Wells would probably love to be traded there but Texas has crap prospects.
R.I.P. Prodigy
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13959 posts
90 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
texas rangers have signed catalanotto to a 3 yr. deal worth $13 mil .. that kind of solves their problem in CF the cat is in no way as good of a OF than GMjr but at least he can play the OF.

i'm a true blue jays fan, but it's sad to say that i think the jays are going to do worse in the 2007 season than last season.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
3828 posts
18 upvotes
skyblue12 wrote: texas rangers have signed catalanotto to a 3 yr. deal worth $13 mil .. that kind of solves their problem in CF the cat is in no way as good of a OF than GMjr but at least he can play the OF.

i'm a true blue jays fan, but it's sad to say that i think the jays are going to do worse in the 2007 season than last season.
Why, because there's been one addition and a couple of subtractions? Spring training isn't tomorrow....pretty sure some more stuff's gonna happen before the 2007 season.
i think this line's mostly filler
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
actyper wrote: For real? I actually had no idea who won, I just thought it was a given that Thomas would win! How was Thome in 05? I thought he always had decent years.

I agree, GMjr I don't think is that great of a hitter. On the field is a different story.
Thome had shoulder injuries in 05. He was good in 06, but not as good as Thomas. And he played on a more talented team that didn't make the playoffs. Thomas was a one-man offense that drove the A's into the playoffs. He won the Comeback award voted by players but the writers ripped him off of the official one.

mingcourt wrote: i would sign gagne.

1. hes canadian. creates hype. hell, if corey koskie can bring some attention to the toronto fans... gagne should be 10x better.
2. you sign him to a short deal cause he's been injured...
3. you wouldnt offer him too much money cause he has been so injured...
4. if he sucks, big deal. youve got him til the end of the year
5. if he brings his game, you've got a lockdown pitcher
wesleyw wrote: Is it just me dreaming, or does Gagne setting up for Ryan sound like a gamble worth taking? Since Gagne has been out for 2 years, I don't see why we can't have him sign a performance clause contract. A base salary of a million or so and with clauses such as X number of appearance, etc etc.
Rumours says he might want $10 million on a one-year deal. That's a lot to pay for a player who had two elbow surgeries and one back surgery. Though he is only three years removed from his historic season. $10M is a lot to risk for the Jays even if it is Gagne. I wouldn't give him more than $3-5 plus incentives.
theinfamous wrote: Any chance of Anaheim trading for V-dub is gone now that they signed Matthews. They probably matched up the best with the Jays in terms of having the best MLB ready prospects. That being said, Texas now has a huge hole in CF. Wells would probably love to be traded there but Texas has crap prospects.
I think Jays rather hold on to him rather than trade for prospects. I rather JP trade him if they cant sign him rather than take the two draft picks. Texas has good pitching prospects, but again, prospects. Jays have holes needed to be filled at the major league level.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 9, 2005
7315 posts
287 upvotes
Scarborough
skyblue12 wrote: texas rangers have signed catalanotto to a 3 yr. deal worth $13 mil .. that kind of solves their problem in CF the cat is in no way as good of a OF than GMjr but at least he can play the OF.
I highly doubt Cat would be playing CF for them. He is a decent corner outfielder but he doesn't have the range/speed/arm etc to play CF. Rangers now have a HUGE hole in the OF after losing GM Jr, and it looks like they will have to have someone from the minor step in next season since it doesn't look like there is much available in the FA.
I think Jays rather hold on to him rather than trade for prospects. I rather JP trade him if they cant sign him rather than take the two draft picks. Texas has good pitching prospects, but again, prospects. Jays have holes needed to be filled at the major league level.
I think either we sign up to a long term deal now, or we will be keeping him for the season and hopefully have him resign, unless we fall out of the division/wild card race by trade deadline. If we are anywhere close to a playoff spot, it does not make any sense to trade him away. It will send the wrong message to the fans, and other potential free agents.
Any chance of Anaheim trading for V-dub is gone now that they signed Matthews. They probably matched up the best with the Jays in terms of having the best MLB ready prospects. That being said, Texas now has a huge hole in CF. Wells would probably love to be traded there but Texas has crap prospects.
Thats very debatable. It depends if you're referring to the players that are on the verge of making the club, or the players that have made a splash in the MLB but was only in their first season/stint with the big club
Rumours says he might want $10 million on a one-year deal. That's a lot to pay for a player who had two elbow surgeries and one back surgery. Though he is only three years removed from his historic season. $10M is a lot to risk for the Jays even if it is Gagne. I wouldn't give him more than $3-5 plus incentives.
He won't get anywhere close to that amount, not even BJ got a $10 million per year contract. I say 3-5 million is still too much. A base of a million to two million + incentives should be the ceiling IMO.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
Report: Jays close to deal with Barajas
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... &fext=.jsp

$6M/2 is what they offered Zaun that he refused. Sounded like either JP made a mistake in not re-signing Zaun before Blanco got that ridiculous money or JP didn't really want Zaun.

I mean Zaun has been good, but two years at more than $3M for a catcher that's 36 soon might be a bit too much.

Tho Zaun has a good OBP and switch hitting, prone to burnouts, but handles pitching staff great.

Barajas seem to have more power but worse OBP. He's four years younger too.

Rumours are saying Zaun might want to sign as a backup with Boston or NYY. That stuff about having to be everyday catcher must have been a bluff or something. Sad to see Zaun go, he was a good player here. Might had been pushing for too much money at 35 though. Stupid Blanco and Cubs, they are inflating the market too much.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2005
1140 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
wesleyw wrote:
Thats very debatable. It depends if you're referring to the players that are on the verge of making the club, or the players that have made a splash in the MLB but was only in their first season/stint with the big club
If you look at the teams that were rumoured to be interested in Wells, Anaheim by far has the best prospects both in terms of guys in the minors like Aybar and Wood and guys with a year or two of MLB experience like Santana or Napoli. No other team even comes close to what Anaheim could have offered the Jays.
R.I.P. Prodigy
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3338 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
spike-spiegel wrote: Report: Jays close to deal with Barajas
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... &fext=.jsp

$6M/2 is what they offered Zaun that he refused. Sounded like either JP made a mistake in not re-signing Zaun before Blanco got that ridiculous money or JP didn't really want Zaun.

I mean Zaun has been good, but two years at more than $3M for a catcher that's 36 soon might be a bit too much.

Tho Zaun has a good OBP and switch hitting, prone to burnouts, but handles pitching staff great.

Barajas seem to have more power but worse OBP. He's four years younger too.

Rumours are saying Zaun might want to sign as a backup with Boston or NYY. That stuff about having to be everyday catcher must have been a bluff or something. Sad to see Zaun go, he was a good player here. Might had been pushing for too much money at 35 though. Stupid Blanco and Cubs, they are inflating the market too much.
what was zaun looking for?....5-6 mill/yr??...
well i see his point about a back up getting about 3 mill...he definately deserves 5-6/yr. just too bad that the jays won't get giving it to him.
and i don't think its bluff that he wanted to be everyday catcher, but i guess in the end if a top team like boston or NYY offers you close to what you want even for a back up role, you have a great chance of winning the championship which is why most play the game in the first place.
but if he does go to them i don't see him getting much playing time behind varitek or posada
Jan 1, 2006
351 posts
T.dot Ontario
oh god. don't sign barajas, JP
pay like 1 mill more and get zaun back
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2006
2276 posts
Toronto
gstrgreg wrote: oh god. don't sign barajas, JP
pay like 1 mill more and get zaun back
Zaun is not worth it anymore. Barajas will do good.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 9, 2005
7315 posts
287 upvotes
Scarborough
theinfamous wrote: If you look at the teams that were rumoured to be interested in Wells, Anaheim by far has the best prospects both in terms of guys in the minors like Aybar and Wood and guys with a year or two of MLB experience like Santana or Napoli. No other team even comes close to what Anaheim could have offered the Jays.
If you were referring specificly to the teams that would be interested in Wells, then I agree with you in that the Angels have the best talent available in return for Wells. But if you are talking about the prospects in general in the league, then again, its a whole debate onits own.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
kevin01 wrote: Zaun is not worth it anymore. Barajas will do good.
Barajas is the youngest free agent catcher available.

Blanco got $5.25/2 years and Zaun said JP offered "a hair" more than that. So I'm guessing like $5.5-6. I dont see how Zaun would want to push for more than $6/2. That sounds okay. Also I think JP didnt like the fact Zaun went public with contract negotiations.

Barajas seems to have better power but I am concerned about handling the pitching staff. This catcher carousel is no good.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 9, 2005
7315 posts
287 upvotes
Scarborough
I think JP offered Zaun the same contract he offered Barajas, 2 year 6 million.