Sports & Recreation

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2021 3:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
wesleyw wrote: I think JP offered Zaun the same contract he offered Barajas, 2 year 6 million.
And he turned it down. So JP either had to choose between paying a bit more to Zaun, a familiar catcher with better OBP and stats but four years older, or save some money and get a more power hitting catcher in Barajas.

If JP really really really wanted Zaun back, he would have never started negotiating with Barajas and re-signed Zaun wayyyy back. So I think JP saw Barajas as a pretty good replacement to Zaun not to have to be so desperate for Zaun.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2005
990 posts
274 upvotes
Barajas has a career .282 OBP :eek:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
SoGood wrote: what was zaun looking for?....5-6 mill/yr??...
well i see his point about a back up getting about 3 mill...he definately deserves 5-6/yr. just too bad that the jays won't get giving it to him.
and i don't think its bluff that he wanted to be everyday catcher, but i guess in the end if a top team like boston or NYY offers you close to what you want even for a back up role, you have a great chance of winning the championship which is why most play the game in the first place.
but if he does go to them i don't see him getting much playing time behind varitek or posada

Zaun has won a World Series with the Marlins. I think Zaun just wants to play everyday and earn a good paycheque. Oh well, he has a future in broadcasting after retirement though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... eball/home
[quote]Zaun says Jays care more about bottom line than improvement

Turns out the Toronto Blue Jays final offer to Gregg Zaun was just that - a final offer.

"I guess I grossly under-estimated my value to them," Zaun said Monday in a telephone interview, responding to the fact that the Blue Jays had agreed with free-agent catcher Rod Barajas on a two-year, $5.25 million contract (all figures U.S.) and in the process severed their ties to Zaun. "But that's J.P. (Ricciardi, the Blue Jays general manager.) If he wants something bad enough, he gets it. He didn't want to pay me $6 million - he got that."

Barajas's contract is pending pending a physical examination.

The Blue Jays offered Zaun a two-year, $6 million (all figures U.S.) deal but in initial conversations Zaun was said to be asking for two years and $10 million or three years at $13.5 million. Zaun - who some observers believe would have settled for $7 million over two years - was also prepared to defer money.

The Blue Jays were not interested in either option - and Monday afternoon Zaun was left feeling, in his words, "sadly disappointed."

"I know they gave me my chance in 2004, and I will always appreciate that," said Zaun. "But I feel that the last two years, the 2005 and 2006 seasons, were the product of my hard work."

Barajas was expected to be in Toronto Tuesday, when the team brings up free-agent Frank Thomas for a news conference. But logistics may now prevent that.

Barajas, who hit .256 with 11 home runs and 41 runs batted in this past season with the Texas Rangers, is five years younger than Zaun
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2002
3828 posts
18 upvotes
Too bad. Would've preferred Zaun...I think 2 years/$6-7mil would've been fine. Ah well, hopefully Barajas has good rapport with the pitchers and at least bats decently at the bottom of the order.
i think this line's mostly filler
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2476 posts
13 upvotes
Not sure why JP is worried so much about age, thought he had till 08 to field a playoff team anyways. Also Zaun never played like a 35yr old. There must be some other reason, especially if Zaun would have settled for $7mil / 2yrs (if thats true).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
25 upvotes
Hanniganite wrote: Too bad. Would've preferred Zaun...I think 2 years/$6-7mil would've been fine. Ah well, hopefully Barajas has good rapport with the pitchers and at least bats decently at the bottom of the order.
Ya at least it sounds like Barajas has good game calling and defence. Zaun's arm wasn't as bad as the stats made it look to be.
actyper wrote: Not sure why JP is worried so much about age, thought he had till 08 to field a playoff team anyways. Also Zaun never played like a 35yr old. There must be some other reason, especially if Zaun would have settled for $7mil / 2yrs (if thats true).
I think Zaun actually noticeably tired out in the season he played 130 games. His second half was pure struggle. That be said, he played well even after concussion and splitting time last year with Bengie.

2 years would have meant 36 and 37. I guess JP was worried by more about 2008 season and have more than $3 million on a declining catcher.

I guess JP was firm on $6M max for a catcher and when Zaun said more, JP didn't budge and chose Barajas instead.
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
Yup Zaun to return.

Good news.
Little Boy Blue. He needed the money.

Oh!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 6, 2005
7259 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
Did you guys forget about how Molina was the starting Catcher and Zaun wanted to be the everyday catcher this season? I think him and JP have some issues to work out if anything. We also have to worry about

1.A Free Agent SP
2.SU Man if Gibby/JP can't decide on League / Accardo
3.Middle infielder (Adam Kennedy/Don't know why we need Julio Lugo)

Both Lily and Hillenbrand seem to be bounded to the Yanks and Zaun might go to them or the Red Sox as a "backup" as well as Molina. Spier has gone to the Angels but for what purpose? They going to rotate him with Shields?

Heres How I see our SP Rotation if we do not sign anyone

1.Roy Hallady
2.AJ Burnett
3.Gustavo Chacin
4.Marcum
5.Towers/Taubenhiem/Mcgowan/Rosario

I personally do not want to see Randy Wolf or Padilla come here. Meche would be ok...Zito is too expensive..but Mulder? I don't know. Its bad enough JP had to strike big on the Big Hurt. I mean

Johnson
Rios
Wells
Thomas
Glaus
Overbay
Hill/Kennedy
Barajas/Phillips/

seems pretty good for a Offensive lineup now that I HOPE they make Thomas a clean up hitter since Glaus has been utterly frustrated as a Clean up hitter throwing his bat / helmet away for striking out or DPing and removing some of the pressure off.
Heat 43-0-0
Member
User avatar
Jan 1, 2006
351 posts
T.dot Ontario
Irb wrote: Yup Zaun to return.

Good news.
im confuzzled.. too many conflicting reports

Zaun for 2yrs / 10 mill is WAY too much though.. thats just crazy
Sr. Member
Mar 15, 2006
639 posts
24 upvotes
Ogata wrote: Did you guys forget about how Molina was the starting Catcher and Zaun wanted to be the everyday catcher this season? I think him and JP have some issues to work out if anything. We also have to worry about

1.A Free Agent SP
2.SU Man if Gibby/JP can't decide on League / Accardo
3.Middle infielder (Adam Kennedy/Don't know why we need Julio Lugo)

Both Lily and Hillenbrand seem to be bounded to the Yanks and Zaun might go to them or the Red Sox as a "backup" as well as Molina. Spier has gone to the Angels but for what purpose? They going to rotate him with Shields?

Heres How I see our SP Rotation if we do not sign anyone

1.Roy Hallady
2.AJ Burnett
3.Gustavo Chacin
4.Marcum
5.Towers/Taubenhiem/Mcgowan/Rosario

I personally do not want to see Randy Wolf or Padilla come here. Meche would be ok...Zito is too expensive..but Mulder? I don't know. Its bad enough JP had to strike big on the Big Hurt. I mean

Johnson
Rios
Wells
Thomas
Glaus
Overbay
Hill/Kennedy
Barajas/Phillips/

seems pretty good for a Offensive lineup now that I HOPE they make Thomas a clean up hitter since Glaus has been utterly frustrated as a Clean up hitter throwing his bat / helmet away for striking out or DPing and removing some of the pressure off.
That pitching rotation sucks, Chacin should be #4 because he's wildly inconsistent and him along with Burnett gives me the injury chills.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3338 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
anybody know why the barajas deal fell through...?
anyways glad to see that zaun might sign...
zaun > barajas imo even at a higher price
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2476 posts
13 upvotes
I think the union stepped in and intevened as Barajas took a paycut. Both sides probably felt it wasn't worth all the trouble. Damn unions, agents, by 2010 the avg salary will be $10mil.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 12, 2006
4430 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
NDman wrote: Well, looks like it's $7.25M/2 yrs for Zauny

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=186232&hubname=

Sounds ok considering how crazy this year's market is heading
yeah it's absolutely nuts..to offer a pat borders type catcher who is 37 next year that kind of money he'll never hit more than 15 home runs or bat 300
I die every Monday at 7am and reborn Friday at 4pm
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Some tidbits on Barajas' negotiation collapse.

... from Rotoworld.com
According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, Rod Barajas' negotiations with the Jays fell apart when he switched agents with the intention of asking for more money.
Both bad ideas. Barajas switched agents from Gregg Clifton to Dan Lozano, presumably after learning his two-year deal with the Jays would pay him $5.25 million. Now the Jays are going to re-sign Gregg Zaun, and Barajas may have to settle for a reserve job elsewhere unless the Phillies or Giants want him.
Can you say "Oops"?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

cutiehoney