• Jun 30th, 2016 2:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 15, 2014
85 posts
32 upvotes

Toronto brake replacement

Hi there,

I have a 2011 Toyota corolla. I have recently noticed the car shuddering when I brake at highway speeds. I know the brake pads have plenty of life left, and my research suggests that the rotors may be warped.

Toyota dealership has quoted me $500 to replace the front brakes (back are drum brakes - they're fine as far as I know). Any suggestions for a good place to do this work? Preferably near either yonge/eglinton, or 401/Keele area.

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5473 posts
2998 upvotes
Toronto
blapt5 wrote: Hi there,

I have a 2011 Toyota corolla. I have recently noticed the car shuddering when I brake at highway speeds. I know the brake pads have plenty of life left, and my research suggests that the rotors may be warped.

Toyota dealership has quoted me $500 to replace the front brakes (back are drum brakes - they're fine as far as I know). Any suggestions for a good place to do this work? Preferably near either yonge/eglinton, or 401/Keele area.

Thanks
If you are technically inclined to know you have good pads, changing front rotors should be simple. Should cost you $100 for both left and right rotors and 1hr of your time or 2 when you take time and go slow with few beer maybe.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5473 posts
2998 upvotes
Toronto
Also, pretty crazy mark up on the brake job by the dealer. Assuming $100 each for rotors, that's $300 for the labour for 1-1.5hr
[OP]
Jan 15, 2014
85 posts
32 upvotes
Thanks for responding; if I had the time or tools to do it myself, I would. However, I am short on both.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1224 posts
683 upvotes
Asides from warped rotors you may have a bad alignment.

Take it to an indy and source your own parts if you want to save some money. Just checked RockAuto for you. Front vented economy rotors are $20.27 each, Centric are $50.69 each.
Dec 3, 2002
487 posts
27 upvotes
BC
My local Toyota dealership was able to install rotors and pads I supplied (Raybestos). This was for my sienna so disk brakes all around.
They charged me 1 hour labour for each axle - $124/hr. No shop charges or extras. In my mind, very reasonable.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5473 posts
2998 upvotes
Toronto
Starcraftjunkie wrote: My local Toyota dealership was able to install rotors and pads I supplied (Raybestos). This was for my sienna so disk brakes all around.
They charged me 1 hour labour for each axle - $124/hr. No shop charges or extras. In my mind, very reasonable.
$500 for labour, wowie...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16219 posts
17670 upvotes
Oakville
It's highly unlikely that your rotors are warped. That used to happen before they were vented but all modern cars have vented front rotors. Most likely you have uneven deposits or rust on your rotor. This can happen when you don't use your brakes hard enough.
If it's not too bad yet, there's a good chance you can restore them by performing a brake bed in procedure. You basically need to brake hard to clean up the rotors.
After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is compete.
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-suppo ... tem-bed-in
[OP]
Jan 15, 2014
85 posts
32 upvotes
hybrid09 wrote: Asides from warped rotors you may have a bad alignment.

Take it to an indy and source your own parts if you want to save some money. Just checked RockAuto for you. Front vented economy rotors are $20.27 each, Centric are $50.69 each.
What difference is there between the two types of rotors? Seems like they're performing the same function in the same manner...
[OP]
Jan 15, 2014
85 posts
32 upvotes
jabela wrote: It's highly unlikely that your rotors are warped. That used to happen before they were vented but all modern cars have vented front rotors. Most likely you have uneven deposits or rust on your rotor. This can happen when you don't use your brakes hard enough.
If it's not too bad yet, there's a good chance you can restore them by performing a brake bed in procedure. You basically need to brake hard to clean up the rotors.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-suppo ... tem-bed-in

Interesting - have not heard of this. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16219 posts
17670 upvotes
Oakville
blapt5 wrote: What difference is there between the two types of rotors? Seems like they're performing the same function in the same manner...
Don't go too cheap on rotors/pads. There's some real garbage out of China. The metallurgy and coatings are difference. Less likely to severely rust and not wear too quickly. Keep it brand name and go with Centric.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2014
85 posts
32 upvotes
Makes sense. Not a huge difference in price. Thanks.