Off Topic

Toronto Cafe (hoax) this is a shop's price menu: Is this legal in business?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2016 5:22 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5397 posts
995 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 11:36 am
The pink tax doesn't exist. Women don't pay more for the same things as men, unless they choose to. They willingly pay more for a 'pink' version of the same product.
drycleaning
haircuts
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18022 posts
3058 upvotes
Toronto
milolai wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 2:04 pm
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2016 11:36 am
The pink tax doesn't exist. Women don't pay more for the same things as men, unless they choose to. They willingly pay more for a 'pink' version of the same product.
drycleaning
haircuts
Those aren't the same products. Women's clothes in general use different fabrics at varying levels of durability than men's clothes. Women don't get charged more for dry cleaning a winter jacket that's built the same way as a man's one the same way Scottish men don't get charged more for dry cleaning their kilts that are built the same way as women's skirts.

The haircut example they like to trot out for these tests are often skewed in a similar fashion. Find an example of a man and woman with the same hair length going for a hairstyle with a similar difficulty level where they get charged differently and I'll believe it.

If you really want examples of unfair sex discrimination in pricing you really only need to look at car insurance.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12684 posts
1990 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I don't dryclean and I don't pay for haircuts. It's just easier to do this rather than argue with people like Piro21 at the drycleaners/hair salon.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1139 upvotes
I'm chime in with my practicality and realism.

Wage gap really an issue? IMO no. Men on average are more ambitious and more aggressive. They are much more likely to pursue high paying jobs, and take action that will trigger a higher pay. I'd also argue that men are noticeably better at negotiating for wages, just like how women are usually better with EQ and men are better reading maps. I worked at the hospital before and most of the office staff are women. They are really not that ambitious and mostly happy to accept very small raises. They value the stability of working in the non-profit sector. Meanwhile the men are much more likely to leave for better paying opportunities. Also, if women really do get paid less for the same job, then following the laws of supply and demand, every employer would hire women. Clearly not the case.

I've read studies that a men going to a car mechanic will ask more questions and be more strict when talking about what auto work REALLY has to be done. Meanwhile, women in general (who are also less knowledgeable about cars), will usually walk out with a higher bill for the same amount of work because she probably doesn't understand cars as much as men, and less likely to negotiate). Of course, you always find exceptions. My mother for example is an excellent negotiator. My GF on the other hand is probably the worst person to go to a furniture store with. She'll get all excited and say "that's not too bad" to the first price the sales person gives.

Is there a price gap? I'd argue yes. A quick study on how men and women shop reveals the difference. Women are less likely to look at prices when they shop. I only need to think about my GF and my ex to see this. And women's eyes and men's eyes when shopping are different. Men in general are more focused on being practical. "Eat food that fills me up without breaking my wallet". Women are much more likely to buy something "fancy". Furthermore, some prices rightfully should be more expensive for women. For example, a women's haircut is more expensive than men for the fact that it takes longer to do. Seems fair to me.

Now onto this menu...this menu board doesn't prove anything. It's another SJW type reaction to an overblown issue. If wage and price gaps exists between genders, I'd say that the bulk of the reason is due to PREFERENCES, not discrimination. Go on Yelp and look at who are the ones that dream about fancy European style dinners. And then look at which gender is more likely to mention price and portion size. I'm guessing at least some of the girls who enjoy fancy meals don't mind the costs because their BF pays for it?

I'd go further and say that while women may pay more, many women still have this mentality that men should support them. Realistically a men with no job will NOT find a life partner. Low income is simply unattractive to most women. On the other hand, a woman with no income can probably still find a life partner. So at least part of the wage gap (if it even exists) can be explained by the fact that women can survive with lower income and higher prices BECAUSE men will support them. So I'd say until splitting the bills evenly on every date is common, or women start taking the initiative to pay the bills, there's no legitimate reason to complain about the wage or price gaps, if they even exist to begin with.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18831 posts
3488 upvotes
GTA West
BananaHunter wrote:
Oct 7th, 2016 1:15 pm
I'm chime in with my practicality and realism.
Thank you for saving me from 20 minutes of typing and editing.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17838 posts
1792 upvotes
Space for rent
Never heard of this pink tax nonsense. So everything that is pink is more? That's a lie.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8461 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I'm pretty sure many of the times that a man would be picking up the tab if he enters the shop as a couple.

Kind of reminds me of the expensive drinks served to men at Strip clubs.

The ones the men obligingly buy for the ladies are even more expensive and have less or zero alcohol too.Lol

Many things are cheaper for women than men in general though.

Shoes, Clothes and in many cases divorce.

Experiments like this show that looking at things from just one angle hardly ever make sense in the thick of things.

Shows how idle and how low the human mind and heart can sink sometimes.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14941 posts
2864 upvotes
Toronto
It's rather ironic that the excuse for a higher priced haircut for women is because they have longer hair, yet men still pay the male hair cutting price even if they claim to be rockers with nice long hair...looking for a whole new look. (hint: long hair about to be cut short)
Jun 8, 2007
976 posts
236 upvotes
Mississauga
Works both ways. Ever go clothes shopping? My wife can get T shirts for $1-3 on sale pretty easily. Best I can do is $4-5 for tall-sized ones that fit. More fabric means higher cost. Her jeans are consistently less expensive than mine from the same store.

Agree with the "don't fall for marketing BS" and if one product is less expensive, then buy it as long as it does the job you need it to.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2964 posts
1071 upvotes
Scarborough
This reminds me of when the wife and I go razor blade shopping, I grab my 20 pack of blue razors for $1.00 and she spends $8 on a 4-pack of pink razors.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
8070 posts
251 upvotes
The logic in this video is flawed. They say "you have to pay the women's price for the coffee" but that's not the case when people actually talk about the pink tax. Women are not prevented from buying men's razors like they were prevented from paying the men's price for coffee in the video. I would argue that paying more for the same product because it's pink is stupid and thus women should be savvier shoppers because they are currently paying more because of cheap marketing gimmicks.

Where men's and women's products are different and the price is higher for the women's, you must make the decision of whether or not the women's product is worth more than the men's. These companies are able to get away with charging more because people are willing to pay it. Maybe they'd make more products that are targeted at both men and women if women refused to pay more for extra scents and useless additives? Complaining about the "pink tax" will only make companies push up the price of the men's products because they can't lower the profits on women's products that are costlier to make (doing a run of a product in a different colour to appeal to women who don't buy as many razors as men means that the price has to be higher to maintain profit margins).