228 posts
171 upvotes

Toronto: Chotto Matte (Peruvian/Japanese) 50% off takeout

Deal Link:
Savings:
50% off
Expiry:
January 31, 2021
Chotto Matte is offering 50% off takeout until the end of the month - lunch and dinner.
https://www.exploretock.com/chottomatte/

This excellent Peruvian restaurant (original locations in London and Miami) has some really great food. Normally it's $$$$$ (a once a year, birthday or special occasion place) but this deal reduces it to just about reasonable. I would usually only order when UberEATS had 30-50% off otherwise Smiling Face With Sunglasses

My favourite dishes:
- Miso eggplant
- Miso chicken
- Branzino Ceviche
- Asado de Tira (Beef with Purple Potato puree)
- Black cod

Pickup is at Bay & Front Street, just steps from Union Station. Seems like you have to order 3 hours in advance, Tock closes times after that. Highly recommend it! Enjoy.

Edit: Seems like 50% off is through Doordash too, with some minor extra fees.
42 replies
Jul 29, 2020
104 posts
563 upvotes
So the place that took forever to open right before COVID at Bay and Front needs money. It was always empty before and they tried to setup a patio in the summer while the whole tower was empty and I never saw one person eat there.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1669 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know if their black cod is good? $12.25 for it doesn't seem so bad Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Jul 4, 2012
282 posts
261 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: What is Peruvian about it? I've been there before - I'd consider it modern Japanese fusion at most.
Peru has a large Japanese population, probably the largest outside of Japan. Most Japanese "fusion" is actually inspired by Nikkei cuisine, which originated by using Japanese techniques with Peruvian ingredients.

If you were to believe some of the "world's best restaurant" lists, the best sushi restaurant in the world is actually located in Peru. Having eaten there and at some of the great sushi restaurants in Tokyo, I can honestly say it's not that far of a stretch.
Oct 14, 2009
52 posts
28 upvotes
Be warned that the dishes are small!
IMO, fancy food take out isn’t worth it....even at 50% off. We spent $60 for 2 people (after the discount).
Aug 18, 2004
195 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
At first glance i thought 50% off posted prices would be a good deal then i read its already discounted...ouch ie the gyoza is $10 with the discount. Who would pay $20 for a dish of gyoza? This place definitely geared towards bay street expense accounts.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
2319 posts
775 upvotes
OnceOrTwice wrote: Anyone know if their black cod is good? $12.25 for it doesn't seem so bad Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
I think 24.50 is the cod? Says 50% has already been applied.
PSN: Sakaban
Nov 12, 2020
3 posts
8 upvotes
tried it twice, don't like it. actually I'm never into these kind of fine peru-japanese fusion food although I eat either type a lot. It's just as disappointing as Tsao chicken of Chinese food even when wrapped up with a fancy menu. Dont think it's a wise choice to open this kind of fusion in such a diversified city where your competitors have the absolute advantage.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1669 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto
Sakaban wrote: I think 24.50 is the cod? Says 50% has already been applied.
Ohhh, yikes those are the prices with 50% off? LOL nvm then
May 28, 2007
131 posts
19 upvotes
Sym000 wrote: Peru has a large Japanese population, probably the largest outside of Japan. Most Japanese "fusion" is actually inspired by Nikkei cuisine, which originated by using Japanese techniques with Peruvian ingredients.

If you were to believe some of the "world's best restaurant" lists, the best sushi restaurant in the world is actually located in Peru. Having eaten there and at some of the great sushi restaurants in Tokyo, I can honestly say it's not that far of a stretch.
Brazil actually has the largest population outside of Japan, residing mostly in Sao Paulo.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1927 posts
4153 upvotes
Markham
Sym000 wrote: Peru has a large Japanese population, probably the largest outside of Japan. Most Japanese "fusion" is actually inspired by Nikkei cuisine, which originated by using Japanese techniques with Peruvian ingredients.

That list has lost all credibility then. The best sushi restaurants in the world are actually in Japan, and it's not even close. Just because Western palates like to soak all their food in copious amounts of sauces doesn't make it actually better.

Peru doesn't have the largest population of Japanese outside of Japan either. Not even close. Even Canada has more.
Jun 1, 2017
80 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Their food is 10/10. Really unique flavours IMO. Love the lamb anticucho, yellowtail sashimi and cauliflower wings. Don’t get the fried rice.
Jul 4, 2012
282 posts
261 upvotes
Dave510 wrote: That list has lost all credibility then. The best sushi restaurants in the world are actually in Japan, and it's not even close. Just because Western palates like to soak all their food in copious amounts of sauces doesn't make it actually better.

Peru doesn't have the largest population of Japanese outside of Japan either. Not even close. Even Canada has more.
Keyword: Probably. I clearly didn't google it like you did, bad me.

Regardless, there is a huge Japanese culinary influence in Peru. And yes, a subjective list created by restaurant professionals has lost all credibility and an entire Japanese diaspora is discredited because Dave510 from Markham disagrees that good sushi cannot exist outside Japan. Yes, people from the west can't understand good food because (insert casual and obscure racist stereotype here). It's not like the list of the world's best restaurants could possibly include judges from all around the world... Impossible.

Have you eaten sushi in both Japan and Peru? How about Hawaii? I bet you think the sushi is bad there too? But, the real question is; why are you thread stalking me? Are you still mad that I pointed out that Canada Goose uses sweetshops?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1505 posts
683 upvotes
Dave510 wrote:
That list has lost all credibility then. The best sushi restaurants in the world are actually in Japan, and it's not even close. Just because Western palates like to soak all their food in copious amounts of sauces doesn't make it actually better.

I can honestly say that with the exception of a few J restaurants I know that are really J owned, Ive never met a Japanese person. Lived in the 416 area code for 15yrs.

Maybe just not in the circles I frequent with?

And I agree - Brazil has the most. I actually went to school with a Chinese-Peruvian in college and also told me there's quite a few Chinese ppl living there as well, who woulda thunk. It confused me once she started speaking Spanish 🤯Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1216 posts
2526 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
@Dave510 & @Sym000 you two get a room already!

I know I know. Random Vancouverite sticking his nose right.

Just saw a thread about Peruvian/Japanese food and wished we had a restaurant here and I’d be all over it.

Vancouver has as many good sushi bars as it does shitty ones. Just not enough multiculturalism here and reading all this stuff about anticuchos and Nikkei food made me salivate during a zoom meeting.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2727 posts
5412 upvotes
I wanted to go here for a while but this 50% off menu is pretty meh. Heard good things about it from people who have gone.
Sep 9, 2003
721 posts
529 upvotes
softech wrote: Peruvian?? Peruvian eat Japanese food? I know Chotto Matte sells Jap food
You may want to stop using that word