Real Estate

Are Toronto condos now more expensive than Vancouver?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2019 12:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3326 posts
2746 upvotes

Are Toronto condos now more expensive than Vancouver?

I did some price comparisons and it seems like you can find some very nice condos in Gastown for under $1000 psqf.

Mind you, the prices of condos don't seem to go down, it's just that Toronto is getting really expensive.
5 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 30, 2012
1097 posts
1143 upvotes
Toronto
According to the TREB and REBGV April benchmark data, the typical Vancouver area condo costs $100K more than a typical Toronto condo. Of course the realtor boards’ definitions of “typical” might differ.
Feb 25, 2015
52 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
In general, yes. Toronto DT condos are more expensive than Vancouver DT.
Jul 4, 2017
507 posts
105 upvotes
Important to keep in mind that Gastown is really close to the DTES which may affect prices.

Also, a lot of Vancouver condos come with a parking space included in the price. Parking at Toronto condos seem to be at a much higher premium and is often not included, especially for the 1-bedrooms and lower.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2339 posts
969 upvotes
This makes sense, jobs are abundant in TO and our transport infrastructure is not keeping up with demand.
Mar 12, 2015
190 posts
143 upvotes
North York, ON
setsunafseiei wrote: Also, a lot of Vancouver condos come with a parking space included in the price. Parking at Toronto condos seem to be at a much higher premium and is often not included, especially for the 1-bedrooms and lower.
The maintenance fees and property taxes are generally a lot cheaper in Vancouver than in Toronto. Also, new Toronto condos of late are greedy with the extra parking and/or locker fees that you have to cough out per month. Most statistics comparing Toronto and Vancouver housing market price GTA vs. GVA; however GVA is so much better served with the SkyTrain system whilst TTC subway barely covers GTA. If I am not stuck in Toronto with my job, I'll gladly move to Vancouver for cheaper condos and nicer weather.