[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
20434 posts
21557 upvotes
Toronto

Toronto - FYI Burger King at Metro Hall permanently closed

So sad. Was nice location on the PATH
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
32 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15430 posts
3132 upvotes
Toronto
This is very sad indeed. Burger King is closing all over Toronto!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5941 posts
2535 upvotes
It's hard to survive when it's mainly 2 for $7 whoppers, and there is little interest in their other menu items.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15430 posts
3132 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: It's hard to survive when it's mainly 2 for $7 whoppers, and there is little interest in their other menu items.
I don't think that was the problem. It must have been a rent issue or...is the landlord renovating? Renovations flushed BK out of Sheppard centre...
Penalty Box
Jan 26, 2017
804 posts
862 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: This is very sad indeed. Burger King is closing all over Toronto!
In your opinion was closure due to :
1) ownership
2) rent price
3) lease agreement

???
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3850 posts
3123 upvotes
Burger King burgers are "flame grilled" in advance, then microwaved just before serving. That and they have downsized their beef patties so much, the Whoppers might as well be called Sliders.
Let's get this straight once and for all. The "Golden Arches" burger chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15430 posts
3132 upvotes
Toronto
Bebo123 wrote: In your opinion was closure due to :
1) ownership
2) rent price
3) lease agreement

???
I wonder if renovations are going on.
That would do it!
Yonge & Eglinton BK closed due to a condo going in. Sheppard centre's location closed due to renovations to the mall.
Outside of that, maybe the lease was up and they chose not to renew.
You can only sell so many burgers before realizing you're just working for the landlord with not enough return on the investment due to high rent.
It will be interesting to learn what will be replacing the BK at this location.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5477 posts
1605 upvotes
Burger King is owned by RBI, a group that has been in the news a lot for disgruntled Tim Hortons franchisees. They're downloading a lot of costs onto franchisees that in the past wasn't like that. In the past I almost never saw Popeyes locations for sale, yet this yr it has happened a lot more frequently (RBI also owns Popeyes).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5941 posts
2535 upvotes
BK has been failing for years. It isn't just this year. Started like 4-5 years ago this decline. They ceased adding locations even before this. This isn't a sudden death situation. The burger market is just oversaturated and some chain has to fail. Cara and MCD jus has way deeper pockets and the advertising to match.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15430 posts
3132 upvotes
Toronto
HP_John wrote: Burger King is owned by RBI, a group that has been in the news a lot for disgruntled Tim Hortons franchisees. They're downloading a lot of costs onto franchisees that in the past wasn't like that. In the past I almost never saw Popeyes locations for sale, yet this yr it has happened a lot more frequently (RBI also owns Popeyes).
Unlike Jollibee, BK only made promise to grow...not a word of how may locations or where...yet all we see are more and more locations closing down since that time.
Such a shame: https://www.therecord.com/news-story/69 ... in-canada/
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3850 posts
3123 upvotes
badOne wrote: BK has been failing for years. It isn't just this year. Started like 4-5 years ago this decline. They ceased adding locations even before this. This isn't a sudden death situation. The burger market is just oversaturated and some chain has to fail. Cara and MCD jus has way deeper pockets and the advertising to match.
The last time I went to a BK I was shocked at how tiny the beef patty was. That wasn't a burger, that was a slider. Also, the serving size of their fries is about 1/2 what McDonald's gives you... and McD's has much better fries than that garbage BK serves (greasy and lightly "breaded" to try to make it crispier? WTF?)
I doubt I ever visit a BK again.

There's a McD's and a BK that I drive by on my way to work. The McD's parking lot is often full with a long drive-thru lineup comparable to a Tim's. The BK lot is ALWAYS EMPTY. And worst yet, the BK doesn't even bother opening for breakfast anymore. McD's has 10 cars in line at 7AM, over at BK the lights are out. It's been like that for years so I don't know what's keeping that BK afloat.

When you serve crap food and your competition isn't, your days are numbered. See also Lick's. I wasn't sad to see Lick's slowly fade away, and I won't be sad if BK disappears.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Jul 10th, 2018 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Let's get this straight once and for all. The "Golden Arches" burger chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15430 posts
3132 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I won't be sad if BK disappears.
I sure will. While I won't miss their crappy fries, I still love their whopper, and it's bigger than you make it out to be. You must have ordered a Whopper Jr, or maybe they gave you one by mistake.
Also, a slider fits (with room to spare) inside a Big Mac box. If anything, it's the big mac that keeps getting smaller.

Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10469 posts
3000 upvotes
Metro Hall location was pretty quiet. I had eaten there a few times and there were no lines ever. I had breakfast there in the fall and there was no one there at all.

Burger king is so much better than McDonalds but they don't seem to be growing at all and it's hard to find stores anywhere. Seem to be a lot more of them in U.S. cities comparatively.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3850 posts
3123 upvotes
kool1 wrote: Metro Hall location was pretty quiet. I had eaten there a few times and there were no lines ever. I had breakfast there in the fall and there was no one there at all.

Burger king is so much better than McDonalds but they don't seem to be growing at all and it's hard to find stores anywhere. Seem to be a lot more of them in U.S. cities comparatively.
McDonald's doesn't microwave its burgers....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -food.html
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Jul 10th, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10469 posts
3000 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: McDonald's doesn't microwave its burgers....
BK only does that to the bottom after the flame broiling is done to make sure it's hot. When it's busy they don't even do it. Still tastes way better.