Computers & Electronics

Toronto/GTA - Any good deals for Home Internet right now?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2021 3:51 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Apr 22, 2014
110 posts
9 upvotes
Woodbridge

Toronto/GTA - Any good deals for Home Internet right now?

Hi All,

Looking for advice or tips on Home Internet deals.

The location is in Markham, and I the specific community had Bell run fibre during pre construction.

The speed would have to be sufficient for streaming television, wireless devices and for gaming simultaneously.

Thanks in advance!
11 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
4019 posts
1098 upvotes
Brampton
I would say Virgin would be best for you based on cost/service and you already have a bell line in.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11809 posts
3470 upvotes
Ontario
realistically you can do all of that with 50mbit/10mbit speed if its setup on your router properly (QoS) which is what i do and have no issues.

But if you are willing to pay see if you can get a good deal from bell for FTTH, 150mbit range is more then enough.
liveclean wrote: Hi All,

Looking for advice or tips on Home Internet deals.

The location is in Markham, and I the specific community had Bell run fibre during pre construction.

The speed would have to be sufficient for streaming television, wireless devices and for gaming simultaneously.

Thanks in advance!
[OP]
Jr. Member
Apr 22, 2014
110 posts
9 upvotes
Woodbridge
sickcars wrote: realistically you can do all of that with 50mbit/10mbit speed if its setup on your router properly (QoS) which is what i do and have no issues.

But if you are willing to pay see if you can get a good deal from bell for FTTH, 150mbit range is more then enough.
Thanks.

I have no idea what QoS is but will loook into it!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11809 posts
3470 upvotes
Ontario
QoS = Quality Of Service

its basically a setting in most good routers that allows you to say prioritize certain internet traffic. For example Gaming this way other people can be streaming videos/music etc but it wont effect your gaming since its priority over everything else.
liveclean wrote: Thanks.

I have no idea what QoS is but will loook into it!
Member
Feb 3, 2012
338 posts
196 upvotes
T.O.
Virgin has a ongoing deal $45/month ($35 discount on regular $80 plan for 12 months) for fibre 100 Mbps. I signed up and will be getting it installed in a couple of weeks. Cable internet is really bad in my area, major slowdowns during peak periods and old infrastructure. The last time a technician came by he could not even find the green box servicing my area to check on wiring.
Newbie
Oct 27, 2014
64 posts
37 upvotes
sputnik99112 wrote: Virgin has a ongoing deal $45/month ($35 discount on regular $80 plan for 12 months) for fibre 100 Mbps. I signed up and will be getting it installed in a couple of weeks. Cable internet is really bad in my area, major slowdowns during peak periods and old infrastructure. The last time a technician came by he could not even find the green box servicing my area to check on wiring.
how do you get this deal? I only see 55 a month on the site
Member
Feb 3, 2012
338 posts
196 upvotes
T.O.
JohnL843 wrote: how do you get this deal? I only see 55 a month on the site
I seen it in this RFD hot deal discussion thread. I just checked and it looks like the discount is now only $25 instead of $35. I ordered the service last Thurs. over the phone when the $35 discount was still available. You might want to give them a call to see if you can still get the same deal.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 26, 2007
2823 posts
916 upvotes
So with Virgin it becomes $80 per year after the 1st year? do they do something in your home that precludes you switching back to DSL or something (Verizon horror stories from a few years ago).

I'm not paying $80 per month for internet, the $55 I pay now is too high IMO, but TekSavvy isn't offering Fibre and I'm getting tired of them bitching about the incumbent networks limiting or overcharging for access while they do absolutely nothing to build out their own network.
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Member
Mar 27, 2021
250 posts
331 upvotes
spitman wrote: check out ongoing discussion form..
ongoing-deal-discussion-f129/
From this thread I scored an awesome deal from a Bell rep, $45 plus tax for 500Mbps 2 year price guarantee. Deals and promos vary by postal code but I find new homes/condos get the best deals, retention is another adventure...
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
4019 posts
1098 upvotes
Brampton
lorax1284 wrote: So with Virgin it becomes $80 per year after the 1st year? do they do something in your home that precludes you switching back to DSL or something (Verizon horror stories from a few years ago).

I'm not paying $80 per month for internet, the $55 I pay now is too high IMO, but TekSavvy isn't offering Fibre and I'm getting tired of them bitching about the incumbent networks limiting or overcharging for access while they do absolutely nothing to build out their own network.
You switch when the promo runs out, staying with any provider seems to cost more than rotating through them.
One thing I noticed is that switching between virgin and bell wont get you any winback deals as they are basically the same company and still have you under their umbrella.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.

Top