Oct 12, 2006
1450 posts
301 upvotes
Markham

Get Paid Cash to Reduce Your Energy Usage with OhmConnect

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Toronto Hydro
Toronto Hydro residents can sync their utility accounts to a program called OhmConnect (https://www.ohmconnect.com/). It will encourage you to reduce your electricity usage, and give you money for doing so. OhmConnect already exists in California and Texas. Toronto Hydro marks their first foray into the Canadian market.

OhmConnect work directly with Ontario's energy regulator, the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO), to monitor real-time conditions on the electricity grid. When it looks like energy usage may peak, the IESO works with Ohmconnect to reduce demand and avoid turning on additional power plants. In exchange for community providing relief during peak hours, they pay OhmConnect the savings. OhmConnect keeps 20% of that savings, and rewards the rest to those that sign up with OhmConnect.

Here’s how it works:
1. Sign up for OhmConnect and sync it with your online utility account through Toronto Hydro. You must have an online account with Toronto Hydro to qualify for OhmConnect. This needs to be done when you sign up, so have your utility info handy.

2. Receive energy usage notifications during “#OhmHours” — high-energy-consumption hours that trigger non-green power plants to activate in order to support the overtaxed grid.

3. Turn off your tv, lights, etc. until the #OhmHour is up.

4. Profit! OhmConnect rewards you up to $300/year for not contributing to the high demand that prompts unclean power sources to turn on.

For every person who signs up through a referral link, you’ll earn $20 when they reach "silver-status" saver.
Last edited by enigma0t2 on Nov 30th, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7573 posts
1538 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, "up to $300 per year" is meaningless. What's typical?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1450 posts
301 upvotes
Markham
Jon Lai wrote: Can anyone comment on the effort-reward ratio for this, and what the statuses do?
The effort is really just to not use power during the "ohm hours". For me, they've almost always been during the middle of the workday when I'm not home anyways, so it's zero extra effort on my part. The website tries to forecast your "average" usage of power during the ohm hour (according to the stats in Toronto Hydro) and asks you to stay below it. If you are able to, then you earn points for the difference. 100 points == $1. Money gets paid out to a paypal account.
You can also earn greater rewards if you keep streaks days of successfully abiding by the ohm hours. Their FAQ is all here: http://faq.ohmconnect.com/.

The statuses are the following according to their FAQ:

Carbon: if you’re in this status level, it means you’re not participating in #OhmHours and you’re using too much dirty power!
Bronze: earn tokens by participating in #OhmHours.
Silver: earn cash for participating in #OhmHours once you have fully enrolled your utility.
Gold: receive a 1.5x multiplier on your base #OhmHour points by reducing and average of 15% or more for the past 20 #OhmHours in the last 180 days.
Platinum: receive a 2x multiplier on your base #OhmHour points by reducing an average of 40% or more for the past 20 #OhmHours in the last 180 days.
Note that the average reduction calculation is based on all #OhmHours you were invited to, even if you opted out.
Mar 19, 2003
644 posts
213 upvotes
Looks like you need to give up your credentials for it to connect to Toronto Hydro, Nest, TP-Link, etc...
Jul 3, 2017
245 posts
694 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Can anyone comment on the effort-reward ratio for this, and what the statuses do?
I'm going to guess high effort, low reward. I doubt you will take a $0.30/hr incentive to not watch tv, or cook or whatever. Also, presumably there's some requirement for you to have less consumption than your historical usage, so you won't be earning any money for your appliances being off if they were always off in the past.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1450 posts
301 upvotes
Markham
dablackgoku1234 wrote: Looks like you need to give up your credentials for it to connect to Toronto Hydro, Nest, TP-Link, etc...
You do need it to link with Toronto Hydro.
Apr 20, 2017
600 posts
414 upvotes
Here are some information:
I’ve been with ohmconnect for ~2 years but have just closed my account because they gave me negative points -again- (actually taking money from me) during an “alert” that they had conveniently failed to notify me about. The first couple times it happened, I assumed it was an accident. Now after multiple instances of this, I see that it is a pattern with them. The customer service rep was no help, and so I am done with them.
I missed one target a month back.
If you miss a target then the points are deducted from your overall total.
That is fair.
What isnt fair is one month after that the points that are deducted keeps going up for that particular event
In my case it went up from -14 to -24 over then next to ohm connect hours events.
In fact it went up in exact numbers of the points I gained by hitting my targets from the other events.

In short this is just a scam, they get the benefits and do not pass it on to you.
Still will work with them because its good for the environment
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1450 posts
301 upvotes
Markham
SamuelNapper wrote: I'm going to guess high effort, low reward. I doubt you will take a $0.30/hr incentive to not watch tv, or cook or whatever. Also, presumably there's some requirement for you to have less consumption than your historical usage, so you won't be earning any money for your appliances being off if they were always off in the past.
Admittedly, if you're the type that barely uses electricity to begin with, then there will obviously be a low limit to what you can earn. The whole point of this startup is to encourage high energy users to be a bit greener, and providing a monetary incentive to do this with.

In any case, even if you're normally a low-energy user (as I am), and you're earning low rewards, it's still a reward you're earning for next-to-no effort for helping with the environment. Also, if not earning points through energy savings, you can also earn it through referrals of other people and earning points that way.
Jul 11, 2007
572 posts
162 upvotes
GTA
i just hope this program have net positive gain for the entire organization....
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47601 posts
8220 upvotes
Richmond Hill
enigma0t2 wrote: Admittedly, if you're the type that barely uses electricity to begin with, then there will obviously be a low limit to what you can earn. The whole point of this startup is to encourage high energy users to be a bit greener, and providing a monetary incentive to do this with.

In any case, even if you're normally a low-energy user (as I am), and you're earning low rewards, it's still a reward you're earning for next-to-no effort for helping with the environment. Also, if not earning points through energy savings, you can also earn it through referrals of other people and earning points that way.
So do you have to artificially increase your usage when you join and then lower it in order to maximize the reward?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1450 posts
301 upvotes
Markham
Jon Lai wrote: So do you have to artificially increase your usage when you join and then lower it in order to maximize the reward?
I suppose if the purpose is to game the system to maximize rewards, then that's certainly one way to do it. The forecast is based on your own historical usage. So, if you were to start altering your own histories, then the forecast would of course be different.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3567 posts
3581 upvotes
mikimoto wrote: Here are some information:
How do they "take money" from you? Do you mean just deducting from your already earned rewards or future rewards?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1450 posts
301 upvotes
Markham
pongster wrote: How do they "take money" from you? Do you mean just deducting from your already earned rewards or future rewards?
that's pretty much all they can do.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3567 posts
3581 upvotes
enigma0t2 wrote: that's pretty much all they can do.
Thanks

I "cashed out" my $10 bonus to my Paypal account already ...let's see if I will earn positive or negative points over the next little while xP
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1450 posts
301 upvotes
Markham
pongster wrote: Thanks

I "cashed out" my $10 bonus to my Paypal account already ...let's see if I will earn positive or negative points over the next little while xP
Ohmconnect recently started some sort of "buddy" program. You gain points equal to the average percentage that you and your buddy have reduced together. I find that, you can accumulate points so much quicker using this.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2004
1358 posts
1071 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone not going to use the coupon for the TP Link Smart plug?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)