Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Toronto Public Library - free Presto cards

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2022 8:44 pm
Feb 28, 2006
687 posts
651 upvotes
callernamet wrote: have no idea why in Canada projects expenses balloon so much? But that is another discussion and not here.
Presto is easy but the system always fails in buses. The operator doesn't even bother to check and people just travel free. seen many times. Only few operators tell go back and tap again.

Ontario’s Presto costs soar to $1.2 billion
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/0 ... llion.html
We have a major efficiency problem in Canada, especially anything that involves the government. And the reasons are not just because of higher labour costs, almost every aspect is problematic, and it's making everything cost multiple times what similar projects costs in places like Asia. Over time it really adds up and we gradually fall behind others, and unfortunately I don't see that changing.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
ericw wrote: That's not what the YYZ UP agent told me but good to know. Thanks!
I think there might be a confusion with tapping on the ticket machine vs tapping on the presto machine. You also need to tap enter and exit to get the discount. I did that last week. It was surprisingly nice lol
Feb 28, 2006
687 posts
651 upvotes
jerry70450 wrote: I don't know if the way the octopus card is used in hong kong was culturally acceptable here in the first place. In NA, we standardized using credit cards. Unless presto cards gives me an incentive such as cash back to use it, most people, including I, wouldn't.
The problem with credit cards is that the fees are hidden, the cashback is a psychological trick. Credit cards have high processing fees upwards of 3%, so even if they give you a 1% cashback they are still ahead. Once it's widespread enough, those fees gets folded into all the prices, unfortunately we are already past that point.

You can see why transit companies opted for their own systems which would mean no fees, in exchange for an initial investment. And in places like China where they use Alipay or Wepay, they charge around 0.5%, which is much lower than the credit cards giants, which is why they could compete and still managed to grow so big.

Presto cards currently does have an advantage btw, it gives you the 2 hour window for unlimited get on and off, that makes it worth it.
Aug 13, 2018
421 posts
471 upvotes
quantized light wrote: The problem with credit cards is that the fees are hidden, the cashback is a psychological trick. Credit cards have high processing fees upwards of 3%, so even if they give you a 1% cashback they are still ahead. Once it's widespread enough, those fees gets folded into all the prices, unfortunately we are already past that point.

You can see why transit companies opted for their own systems which would mean no fees, in exchange for an initial investment. And in places like China where they use Alipay or Wepay, they charge around 0.5%, which is much lower than the credit cards giants, which is why they could compete and still managed to grow so big.

Presto cards currently does have an advantage btw, it gives you the 2 hour window for unlimited get on and off, that makes it worth it.
That is true but like you said, we are beyond that point. China just isn't a fan of banks and credit in general and the culture there is to prefer spending your own money. Credit cards are already built into everything here, and even Presto can be loaded with credit cards. They still have to take the hit there.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
4024 posts
2374 upvotes
Ottawa
jerry70450 wrote: I don't know if the way the octopus card is used in hong kong was culturally acceptable here in the first place. In NA, we standardized using credit cards. Unless presto cards gives me an incentive such as cash back to use it, most people, including I, wouldn't.
Yea, the Presto card missed the boat on being widely usable. The market is already saturated with credit/debit cards that can tap. They would be fighting an uphill battle at this point. When my friend from the US came about 5 years ago to try and get a contract for their tap system that was kind of new in the US, she realized it wouldn't happen. The credit card tapping was already much more widespread than in the US.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1013 posts
1562 upvotes
eugene188 wrote: Yea, the Presto card missed the boat on being widely usable. The market is already saturated with credit/debit cards that can tap. They would be fighting an uphill battle at this point. When my friend from the US came about 5 years ago to try and get a contract for their tap system that was kind of new in the US, she realized it wouldn't happen. The credit card tapping was already much more widespread than in the US.
When I lived abroad years and years ago I had transit functionality added to all my credit and debit cards. Unfortunately that part of the world is hidden under a thick cloak of invisibility. Every day that goes by makes it clear that we should be looking at examples beyond a set of ten or so countries that people go on vacation to.
Outlaw ellipses and apostrophes.

Now, you've got ven more options whn paying for transit with PRESTO contactless payment on UP Express.
Dec 18, 2014
371 posts
466 upvotes
GTA
lol cool! thanks for sharing xD Didn't know about this MV. it's amazing I didn't see a single book in this video!
DaVibe wrote: I always think of this ...
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
4473 posts
3843 upvotes
Ontario
Patrickpete wrote: This. The only reason I use the bus as much as I do now is because of the unlimited transfers both way. That is what makes the presto card worth it.
But that's why buying the one fare pass is better. Sure costs 5 cents more. But if your trip takes 2 hours and 10 minutes, the Presto card will automatically ding you two fares $6.40. But with the one fare pass, never a problem convincing the booth operator or bus driver to overlook those extra minutes.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
Can u use the presto app on phone and tap it to get on bus?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Oct 12, 2008
140 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Northern District library has Presto cards. There is no value on the card.
Sep 23, 2010
324 posts
994 upvotes
Toronto
The Toronto Reference Library downtown had a ton of these behind the Info desk. When I asked for one, they actually asked me how many I wanted and gave me 2.

Thanks, OP.
Nov 8, 2017
7 posts
12 upvotes
Picked 2 up today. Thanks OP!

I’ve been waiting forever to get complimentary presto cards. Out of principle I refused to pay for one especially since most other regions got theirs free. They really should offer these free if you load a minimum dollar amount.

Now I finally have one instead of sharing with the family.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
4024 posts
2374 upvotes
Ottawa
anthony9 wrote: When I lived abroad years and years ago I had transit functionality added to all my credit and debit cards. Unfortunately that part of the world is hidden under a thick cloak of invisibility. Every day that goes by makes it clear that we should be looking at examples beyond a set of ten or so countries that people go on vacation to.
for real, we Canadians/North Americans believe we are golden and look down on other countries. We would better off if we looked at other countries and just cherry picked the good things they are doing. We don't need to emulate, but just see what works.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1013 posts
1562 upvotes
I think it's this looking down on some countries, but then this near-worship of Europe. If something is better than here in Europe, yes we can use that to improve, but if something even better exists outside of Europe, it's invisible as mentioned.

They have a fairly well developed closed payment system? Wow. There's an even better system of open payments elsewhere? No thanks, I've never been on vacation to that country, and cannot confirm it exists.
Outlaw ellipses and apostrophes.

Now, you've got ven more options whn paying for transit with PRESTO contactless payment on UP Express.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
luckylucass wrote: The Toronto Reference Library downtown had a ton of these behind the Info desk. When I asked for one, they actually asked me how many I wanted and gave me 2.

Thanks, OP.
AT $6 per pass, that is some moneymaker for transit. Free is nice! Think in Hamilton, only seniors (80+)get the cards for free due to campaign over two years ago to remove that barrier to getting a pass.
Have new cookbooks but am not cooking anything new yet.
Sep 30, 2015
449 posts
156 upvotes
York, ON
peji911 wrote:
I lived living in Toronto until I finally moved out and realized how unnecessarily expensive it is. Charging $120 for a library pass for non-residents is extremely expensive.
I live in Toronto, and I paid property tax, part of which goes to fund the TPL.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2020
1334 posts
3422 upvotes
Is it the same presto cards my wife has? Every card she has, presto, credit card maxed.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1922 posts
1195 upvotes
Calgary
luckylucass wrote: The Toronto Reference Library downtown had a ton of these behind the Info desk. When I asked for one, they actually asked me how many I wanted and gave me 2.

Thanks, OP.
jleong8474284177 wrote: Picked 2 up today. Thanks OP!

I’ve been waiting forever to get complimentary presto cards. Out of principle I refused to pay for one especially since most other regions got theirs free. They really should offer these free if you load a minimum dollar amount.

Now I finally have one instead of sharing with the family.
Hi, do you have to show them your ID or need to check the library card?

Thanks,

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)