Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1757 posts
771 upvotes

Toronto Ribfest

I have never been, is it worth going to? Do that have small sample portions to buy or do you have to buy a full meal? Is it generally expensive or reasonable?
Any insights would be appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
10 replies
Jun 4, 2006
589 posts
231 upvotes
GTA
If you have never went, it's worth going, but the novelty will wear off for some after a couple of visits.

Ribs can be bought in small portions, so you can try different vendors. Terms of pricing, though a little on the higher side, not unreasonable when compared to some established restaurants serving ribs and stuff.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2208 posts
405 upvotes
it's pretty white trash-y

they don't have small sample portions to buy, but you can opt for 1/3 or 1/2 rack

tho it may not be worth it to stand in each line for 10+ minutes each to buy 1/3

it's not CHEAP, it's not expensive either. it's on par for how much you'd pay for ribs at a restaurant.

it's a nice way to spend some time outside and eat food but don't expect it to be a crazy experience
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6283 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
I always go with a few friends, we all line up at diff vendors and buy 1/3 or a half each, and then re-group and share lol. Best way to try a bunch of different ones.

Throw in other items like chicken, corn bread, blooming onion (my fave). Its a nice time to pig out on some unhealthy food.

Also nice to just get outdoors and hangout for a bit.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1766 posts
610 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Lineups can be stupid long sometimes.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11857 posts
2288 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, were there always this many? Agreed. It's a good novel thing to check out. I assume some are better than others in terms of layout, crowd, size. Best to go earlier in the day. Avoid evenings. Often, it's better to just buy a bunch, then go to someone's backyard and pig out then. Sure it's a bit pricey, but good once in a awhile thing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20768 posts
4893 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Went once a few years ago and will not go back. I hate when meat can be easily removed from the bone, this tells me it is overcooked.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3647 posts
711 upvotes
There are no samples. Nothing is free.

Like other people said, the novelty is fun for something to do on Saturday night if you have a small enough group that doesn't mind lineups but there are plenty of variables* which, as the other RFDers have pointed out, lead me to get takeout and bring it nearby to someone's house.

If you're there, don't forget to try the onion bloom but there's often crazy lineups for that as well.

*Variables including...
- extreme weather
- having a large group bc it may be challenging to get seating. That said, sometimes having a large group is good bc then everyone can line up for different things.
- having young children or elderly people in said group that don't like the particular weather of the day and long lineups
- parking succccks at the one in Scarb bc you have to park in residential neighborhoods. I think it's better at the Toronto one. IIRC they guide people to park on the field.
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12217 posts
127 upvotes
Don't waste your money and time. I just buy and make my own ribs every year around this time.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2198 posts
816 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
You can buy a VIP access to skip lines, air conditioning outdoor washrooms and a private eating area for $15-$25 for the entire week or weekend.