May 2, 2013
1650 posts
2871 upvotes
Toronto

[toronto] Seinfeld themed pop-up bar

***UPDATE JULY 14, 2016***
Toronto Star
JULY 14, 2016

The planned Seinfeld-themed pop-up bar isn’t happening, one of the organizers tells the Star, but he still hopes it can. It was supposed to launch on Friday.
One of the organizers, Mackenzie Keast, says the event wasn’t a scam, merely an ambitious idea that couldn’t find funding. He says he’s still hopeful it will one day be a reality.

The party made a splash among fans of the ’90s sitcom when it was first announced in February. Its Facebook page — still online as of Thursday evening — promised a look-alike Monk’s Diner set-up with “Kenny Rogers Chicken, calzones, No Soup For You, big salads, sexy pastramis, marble rye sandwiches chocolate babka, muffin tops. . .”

The launch was to include a $300 prize for the best Seinfeld costume and a “little kicks dance-off,” and was widely covered in the media. Nearly 10,000 people on Facebook said they would attend, and another 24,000 indicated they were “interested.”

Keast, who spoke to the Star at a café in the Distillery District Thursday, said it all stemmed from a desire to make a cooler Seinfeld-themed bar than a George Costanza restaurant in Melbourne, which also calls itself “A Bar About Nothing.”

Being an event planner and entrepreneur, Keast built some hype around his planned pop-up, but soon realized making it happen would entail much more than he expected.

“I don’t like feeling like this is something that isn’t going to happen. I want to make it happen. And I want to make it right,” the 29-year-old says.

He and his friends devised a plan to use the money from a ticket pre-sale to build the bar inside a space that had been offered to them for free. Still, Keast was afraid they wouldn’t be able to follow up on the promise.

So, when the tickets went live on June 29, he gave all 250 of them to himself for free, so they automatically sold out. He says those who claimed to have tickets on social media were just his friends “trolling.”

“My hope the whole time was that someone (an investor) was going to come forward or that we would find someone who saw the value in putting this on,” he says.

Keast figured the planned opening date, July 15, would pass and the more than 20,000 people who were waiting for it would think it happened and move on. He regrets not being forthright, but believes it could still be pulled together in weeks with enough capital.

Many caught on that no tickets had actually been sold and complained to Eventbrite, the online seller, which scrubbed the event from its website.

“The Trust & Safety team was unable to confirm the event is taking placeand therefore took appropriate steps to un-publish it from our platform at this time,” Amanda Livingood, a spokesperson for Eventbrite, told the Star in an email.
https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2 ... ronto.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seinfeld tv show -themed pop-up bar opening july 15, 2016
592 Dufferin St, Toronto, ON
you'll soon be able to visit Monk's Diner thanks to the Seinfeld-themed pop-up bar, which is slated to open on July 15.

Tickets to the opening party go on sale on June 29 at 12:30 p.m. These tickets are non-transferable and there will be a limit of two per person. Nearly 25,000 people are interested in the event on Facebook, so you better act quickly if you want in.

Along with serving Hennigans, schnapps and beer, the pop-up will feature big salads, Kenny Rogers Chicken and muffin tops.
After the opening party the bar will be open daily and will host trivia nights and karaoke.

In all the marketing material, the organizers are calling it "a summer-long pop-up bar and restaurant parodying Monk's Diner from 'Seinfeld,'".
http://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2016/ ... happening/
its facebook page https://www.facebook.com/events/1753270924903690/
18 replies
Aug 25, 2015
190 posts
286 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I'll have a Chicken salad, on rye, untoasted, with a side of potato salad and a cup of tea.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9535 posts
3804 upvotes
Toronto
stay away from the kenny rogers chicken....bad chicken, will mess you up.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Feb 25, 2006
315 posts
20 upvotes
plgqnn wrote: I'll have a Chicken salad, on rye, untoasted, with a side of potato salad and a cup of tea.
They only have a small salad at Monk's. You have to go to Reggie's to get the large salad.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9535 posts
3804 upvotes
Toronto
Recondo wrote: They only have a small salad at Monk's. You have to go to Reggie's to get the large salad.
i think you mean "the big salad".
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9535 posts
3804 upvotes
Toronto
brandonl wrote: no junior mints? lol.
they've got that covered
Full kitchen including Kenny Rogers Chicken, calzones, No Soup For You, big salads, sexy pastramis, marble rye sandwiches chocolate babka, muffin tops, and more
- Seinfeld shop with take-home Junior Mints, Jujyfruits, Twix, Pez, Snickers, and cereal
no sighting of drake's coffee cakes though
Dec 23, 2004
544 posts
2 upvotes
they need to add:

- Poppie's pizza
- Chinese chewing gum
- Babu's sphagetti meatball
- Newman & Kramers Sausage links
- Mango & Plum 'red on the inside' salad from Joe's
- Non-fat yogurt
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9535 posts
3804 upvotes
Toronto
/\
ah yes, the black and white cookie. how could we forget that?
Jerry: "Oh look Elaine, the black and white cookie. I love the black and white. Two races of flavor living side by side in harmony. It's a wonderful thing, isn't it?"
Elaine: "You know, I often wonder what you'll be like when you're senile."
Jerry: "I'm looking forward to it."
Elaine: "Yeah, I think it'll be a very smooth transition for you."
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1198 posts
854 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Can't say I'm surprised...

"'[Eventbrite's] team was unable to confirm this event is taking place and therefore took appropriate steps to un-publish it from our platform at this time.'

Mackenzie Keast, one of the original organizers, tells me there were issues securing a venue. But, he says he dropped out of the planning process and is no longer involved with the project.

We reached out to the existing organizers for comment, but at press time, have yet to hear back."

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2016/07 ... _big_scam/
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12033 posts
2640 upvotes
sn00ch wrote: Can't say I'm surprised...

"'[Eventbrite's] team was unable to confirm this event is taking place and therefore took appropriate steps to un-publish it from our platform at this time.'

Mackenzie Keast, one of the original organizers, tells me there were issues securing a venue. But, he says he dropped out of the planning process and is no longer involved with the project.

We reached out to the existing organizers for comment, but at press time, have yet to hear back."

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2016/07 ... _big_scam/
So... this is a restauant about nothing?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9905 posts
4570 upvotes
Toronto
At this rate, this likely will not happened by Friday...

Hope the people that bought their tickets gets refunded
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1198 posts
854 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pochacco wrote: At this rate, this likely will not happened by Friday...

Hope the people that bought their tickets gets refunded
It doesn't sound like anyone actually got tickets. Their Facebook page had numerous complaints from people saying they tried to buy tickets only to see it "sold out" in 30 seconds later. Those complaints are no longer visible in the discussion which makes this whole thing seem even more shady.

I wonder how long before these guys start their own GoFundMe page to recoup their costs like that Central Perk dude.
https://www.gofundme.com/cafeparody
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9535 posts
3804 upvotes
Toronto
someone needs to get jackie chiles on this case. i find this whole thing to be outrageous, egregious, preposterous.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9905 posts
4570 upvotes
Toronto
Lame..how can someone who is an event planner and entrepreneur expected to find an investor and make this all happen within 15 days??!??!