Expired Hot Deals

Toronto to Singapore - $674 RT (September 2018-June 2019)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2018 11:22 am
Jan 14, 2003
256 posts
69 upvotes
Quebec City was Otta…
Poutinesauce wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 12:11 am
Singapore is the most boring travel destination I have ever been to. It's such an artificially clean, controlled and contrived society. The nanny state gone wrong. Plus there really isn't much to do at all there unless you're a millionnaire. Also people don't feel genuine and have this competitive vibe to them. The older Chinese residents are especially rude and always look annoyed. The younger ones are usually more approcheable and kinder.

IMO it's only worth it as a hub to visit other Asian destinations. But then again Manila offers far more dirt cheap international flights with Cebu Pacific. You can even go to Sydney for a little more than 300$. And it's far cheaper to be lodged around the Manila airport than in Singapore.

The only thing I really liked is the delicious and affordable Chinese food. But then again, other places offer it for better and cheaper.
I have to back that statement as well. Was a frequent business traveller to SG and much preferred when i had to spend weekends, i'd simply fly out to Kuala Lumpur or Penang and enjoy it much more.
Feb 15, 2009
466 posts
57 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:
Singapore is the most boring travel destination I have ever been to. ...
If you like to eat food it is definitely a great place, but yeah as a North American person the culture of rigidity and obsession with rules gets annoying. I've met people here in Canada who tout "Singaporean values", but it's obvious they've never actually been there because they are the exact same people who would be driven insane being constantly told what to do and what they did wrong lol.

It's funny that I find myself going into a nuanced explanation of such a tiny place, but it's fascinating to me how many of the experiences echo mine.
Jun 14, 2011
600 posts
1993 upvotes
$800 is the regular price for YYZ-SIN on UA, as long as your outbound date fall inside these days and there are K class available all the way. UA was running a web special to TPE/SIN for the past 2 weeks, the sale has gone for public but still available to travel agents.

PERMITTED 25DEC THROUGH 09JUN OR 16JUL THROUGH 09DEC ON
THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
Last edited by gokeeper on Sep 12th, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 29, 2010
191 posts
144 upvotes
Singapore is an excellent hub city to SEA especially with too notch airport and best exchange rates for practically any currency. Unfortunately however, as others pointed out, I find it boring as well... and very hot due to high humidity
Oct 27, 2009
447 posts
32 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I'm originally from Singapore and have lived in Canada for 30+ years. I do go back every 2 years to visit my family and friends. I do understand some of the comments here. However, it does make a difference if you knew someone who lives there when you visit to show you around. There must be a reason why a million plus tourist visit Singapore each month.
Jul 28, 2008
30 posts
22 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
well I love China and have returned 3 times, but Vietnam was tops.
Jul 28, 2008
30 posts
22 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
not yet, but it is on my list to watch for.
Jul 28, 2008
30 posts
22 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
i am out west, fly from calgary. there is a group called YYC Deals (on facebook and a website) that we share travel deals we all find. Sometimes they are pretty random, but sometimes spectacular prices. In the past couple years I have been to China 3x, japan, vietnam, Nicaragua for 300 bucks return, Panama, Peru for 600 bucks return, Cuba, Mexico, Vegas. We can afford to travel 5x more than any of our friends because we are able to and flexible enough to wait and watch for sales, rather than having to travel on fixed dates (ie. xmas holidays, or spring break week, etc).

Having flexibility in travel dates and destinations opens up chances to save at least 50% on comparable travel we have found.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6919 posts
2863 upvotes
Singapore is a great hub to travel through. Low-cost carrier connections to lots of places.....

If you land in the evening in Singapore and your next flight takes off in the morning, I recommend NOT going through security right away when you land, and just finding a loungechair to rest in overnight airside. There is next to nothing comfortable to lie on landside... the benches were designed with enough space between the seats to make it uncomfortable to lie across them.

Sleep airside until a few hours before your flight, breeze through customs, pick up your bags and drop them off at the next check-in counter.
Jun 14, 2011
600 posts
1993 upvotes
SoroSuub1 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 1:58 pm
Singapore is a great hub to travel through. Low-cost carrier connections to lots of places.....

If you land in the evening in Singapore and your next flight takes off in the morning, I recommend NOT going through security right away when you land, and just finding a loungechair to rest in overnight airside. There is next to nothing comfortable to lie on landside... the benches were designed with enough space between the seats to make it uncomfortable to lie across them.

Sleep airside until a few hours before your flight, breeze through customs, pick up your bags and drop them off at the next check-in counter.
I would say Tokyo is better option, lots of flights to sea by JL/NH, also much easier to access (direct flight from YYZ/YVR) , I've flew to SIN few times from SFO/LAX, the 17 hours flight is PIA, even in business class.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8028 posts
3600 upvotes
MVRD
Poutinesauce wrote:
Singapore is the most boring travel destination I have ever been to. It's such an artificially clean, controlled and contrived society. The nanny state gone wrong. Plus there really isn't much to do at all there unless you're a millionnaire. Also people don't feel genuine and have this competitive vibe to them. The older Chinese residents are especially rude and always look annoyed. The younger ones are usually more approcheable and kinder.

IMO it's only worth it as a hub to visit other Asian destinations. But then again Manila offers far more dirt cheap international flights with Cebu Pacific. You can even go to Sydney for a little more than 300$. And it's far cheaper to be lodged around the Manila airport than in Singapore.

The only thing I really liked is the delicious and affordable Chinese food. But then again, other places offer it for better and cheaper.
Try Hong Kong...there's a whole different level of rudeness and impatience.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6919 posts
2863 upvotes
gokeeper wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 5:01 pm
I would say Tokyo is better option, lots of flights to sea by JL/NH, also much easier to access (direct flight from YYZ/YVR) , I've flew to SIN few times from SFO/LAX, the 17 hours flight is PIA, even in business class.
Tokyo's also good, but since they're separated by a 7 hour flight, they definitely serve different regional needs.

Incidentally, my multi-multi-segment flight will be going through both NRT and SIN (on Delta).
Aug 29, 2010
191 posts
144 upvotes
V8LESS wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 12:22 pm
I'm originally from Singapore and have lived in Canada for 30+ years. I do go back every 2 years to visit my family and friends. I do understand some of the comments here. However, it does make a difference if you knew someone who lives there when you visit to show you around. There must be a reason why a million plus tourist visit Singapore each month.
Singapore could be fun place for other nationals, but for Canadian, it resembles too much of N/A cities like Vancouver. When you are flying out so far away, I doubt there will be many Canadians looking forward to see some place they are already accustomed to (except for insane hotel price and super hot weather). For travellers from other Asian countries, sure it could be fun, but as a Canadian, why waste time and money in Singapore?
Aug 29, 2010
191 posts
144 upvotes
SoroSuub1 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 5:21 pm
Tokyo's also good, but since they're separated by a 7 hour flight, they definitely serve different regional needs.

Incidentally, my multi-multi-segment flight will be going through both NRT and SIN (on Delta).
For the choice of layover airport, Id say Seoul or even Taipei is much better choice than Tokyo. ICN airport even has cheap "Sauna house" inside airport where you can freshen yourself up or take a nap and TPE airport has free access to shower even for those who dont have access to premium lounge. When I lay over in Seoul, I prefer taking 10 minute subway to fish market and go for super cheap/fresh seafood.