Expired Hot Deals

Toronto to Singapore - $674 RT (September 2018-June 2019)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2018 11:22 am
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1002 posts
1795 upvotes
Markham
Geographically TPE and HKG are much better hubs for most of Asia than Singapore, unless you're sticking to SE Asia only.
Oct 27, 2009
447 posts
32 upvotes
Calgary, AB
chinook79 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 6:30 pm
Singapore could be fun place for other nationals, but for Canadian, it resembles too much of N/A cities like Vancouver. When you are flying out so far away, I doubt there will be many Canadians looking forward to see some place they are already accustomed to (except for insane hotel price and super hot weather). For travellers from other Asian countries, sure it could be fun, but as a Canadian, why waste time and money in Singapore?
To each his or her own decision to travel wherever they want. However, to compare Vancouver to Singapore is sheer ignorance.
Aug 29, 2010
191 posts
144 upvotes
V8LESS wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 2:25 pm
To each his or her own decision to travel wherever they want. However, to compare Vancouver to Singapore is sheer ignorance.
No need to be so defensive.
Demographics of people in Singapore resembles those in Vancouver(Richmond more precisely), food available the same. The reason why people here commented that Singapore is not their top pick is that Singapore doesn't have rich culture nor history unlike most other SEA. It's highly modernized tiny country with no colors to it. Most of its population consists of immigrants (again, very similar to Vancouver), and due to their high GDP (higher per capital than Canada), everything is expensive even in NA standard (easily over $300 a night for decent hotel)
You stated millions of people visit Singapore, how many visit singapore that arent Chinese, Indonesian, Malaysian, etc?
For a typical travellers from NA, they will get bored of Singapore within a day or two especially if they expected rich culture or cheap stuff you would normally expect from SEA. JUst because someone has different opinion, doesnt make them ignorant
Oct 27, 2009
447 posts
32 upvotes
Calgary, AB
chinook79 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 12:27 pm
No need to be so defensive.
Demographics of people in Singapore resembles those in Vancouver(Richmond more precisely), food available the same. The reason why people here commented that Singapore is not their top pick is that Singapore doesn't have rich culture nor history unlike most other SEA. It's highly modernized tiny country with no colors to it. Most of its population consists of immigrants (again, very similar to Vancouver), and due to their high GDP (higher per capital than Canada), everything is expensive even in NA standard (easily over $300 a night for decent hotel)
You stated millions of people visit Singapore, how many visit singapore that arent Chinese, Indonesian, Malaysian, etc?
For a typical travellers from NA, they will get bored of Singapore within a day or two especially if they expected rich culture or cheap stuff you would normally expect from SEA. JUst because someone has different opinion, doesnt make them ignorant
Just like Canada (except for the 1st nation population), Singapore is a land of immigrants too, enough said.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
11148 posts
1482 upvotes
U wanna have yummy food? Go to Malaysia.. all dishes in Singapore are orignal from Malaysia..

IMO....only Hainanese chicken rice in Spore is good and rest sux..

Dont be fooled by the movie Crazy Rich Asians...80% of the movie were filmed in Malaysia like KL, Penang and Pulau Langkawi

Spore gov is smart in marketing to promo Spore
Now, they want to claim Nasi Lemak as their national dish...LOL
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5046 posts
2088 upvotes
1/2 to 1 day is good enough for Singapore. Spend more time in Malaysia, and if you have time go to Brunei which is top West corner of Malaysia to see a friendly very oil-rich country (but not in your face rich) in the middle of nowhere. Honestly not much to see there either. If you are in Singapore then Hong Kong isn't far from there. Just don't be trapped into staying in Singapore for too long. Seriously not much there.

Go the same food court and places as Bourdain did for street food. Grab lots of satay sticks and the curry crab because they are some of the best in the world.
May 7, 2008
622 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
That's highly incendiary - I've travelled extensively in the area - as I have family in both Malaysia and Singapore and wouldn't say that Malaysia is better than Singapore for food. Also because Singapore was part of Malaysia before getting kicked out of the Federation, you're technically correct, but try telling the Singaporean side of my family that all dishes originated from Malaysia and they will laugh and ridicule you - it's rather disingenuous to say that nothing originated from Singapore first.

As for who has better food, it really depends on what you're looking to eat - if you are looking for Nyonya/Peranakan cuisine, and some stuff that it is clearly Malaysian e.g. Assam Laksa, then sure Malaysia is better. But if you're looking for some chicken rice, or chili crab or various other dishes, then there are no comparative dishes in Malaysia. Also for non-Sing Ma dishes, Singapore is by far miles ahead of anything that Kuala Lumpur or any city in Malaysia can offer, with a nod of respect to Ipoh which has a seen an amazing revival as of late. In terms of innovation and reinventing dishes I think Singapore has the edge. But for more traditional dishes I would hand it to Malaysia. Unless you are a super fan of Sing Ma cuisine, Singapore would probably have more to offer the ordinary tourist in terms of variety and selection.

My family are in agreement that Nasi Lemak is clearly Malaysian...but Malaysian government officials have also tried to claim some Singaporean dishes that clearly have no origin in Malaysia - e.g. Chili Crab, so Malaysians are playing the exact same game as Singaporeans.

Anyhow - it would be a shame for someone travelling to Singapore to not check out Malaysia and see for themselves which country has the better food.

kiasu wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 4:57 pm
U wanna have yummy food? Go to Malaysia.. all dishes in Singapore are orignal from Malaysia..

IMO....only Hainanese chicken rice in Spore is good and rest sux..

Dont be fooled by the movie Crazy Rich Asians...80% of the movie were filmed in Malaysia like KL, Penang and Pulau Langkawi

Spore gov is smart in marketing to promo Spore
Now, they want to claim Nasi Lemak as their national dish...LOL
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
11148 posts
1482 upvotes
antihero wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 5:12 am
That's highly incendiary - I've travelled extensively in the area - as I have family in both Malaysia and Singapore and wouldn't say that Malaysia is better than Singapore for food. Also because Singapore was part of Malaysia before getting kicked out of the Federation, you're technically correct, but try telling the Singaporean side of my family that all dishes originated from Malaysia and they will laugh and ridicule you - it's rather disingenuous to say that nothing originated from Singapore first.

As for who has better food, it really depends on what you're looking to eat - if you are looking for Nyonya/Peranakan cuisine, and some stuff that it is clearly Malaysian e.g. Assam Laksa, then sure Malaysia is better. But if you're looking for some chicken rice, or chili crab or various other dishes, then there are no comparative dishes in Malaysia. Also for non-Sing Ma dishes, Singapore is by far miles ahead of anything that Kuala Lumpur or any city in Malaysia can offer, with a nod of respect to Ipoh which has a seen an amazing revival as of late. In terms of innovation and reinventing dishes I think Singapore has the edge. But for more traditional dishes I would hand it to Malaysia. Unless you are a super fan of Sing Ma cuisine, Singapore would probably have more to offer the ordinary tourist in terms of variety and selection.

My family are in agreement that Nasi Lemak is clearly Malaysian...but Malaysian government officials have also tried to claim some Singaporean dishes that clearly have no origin in Malaysia - e.g. Chili Crab, so Malaysians are playing the exact same game as Singaporeans.

Anyhow - it would be a shame for someone travelling to Singapore to not check out Malaysia and see for themselves which country has the better food.
I stand by my points. Have u ever lived there? I grew up in Msia and i also have friends and relative in spore too. Everytime i go to Spore is to visit friends n chicken rice..that’s it..

IMO, chicken rice is the only dish is good in Spore. Chili crab? Did u even try it in Msia? There r few fanous in PJ. What is next? Dont tell me BKT in Spore is good. BKT is original from Klang in Msia. The worse one in Klang is better than Spore. Someone told me nasi lemak in Singapore comes with tomato..lol.

OMG..I miss all dishes from Msia..I want ABC now when the weather is 40c here. There r so many dishes in Malaysia..you name it
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
663 upvotes
antihero wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 5:12 am

Chicken rice is way better in Malaysia along with chili crab. Those all originated in Malaysia

Singapore is incomparable to the quality and variety of food to Malaysia . Even Staples like chicken rice and chili crab. Way better in mallaca/ipoh for those or Penang for other Chinese origin foods

Singapore is just more accessible for tourists to try those foods due to compact size
Last edited by Gboard2 on Sep 15th, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 30, 2017
113 posts
100 upvotes
I would suggest spending a couple days in Singapore but get on a cheap Air Asia or Tiger flight somewhere else in SEA to spend most of your time. It’s a great hub and there are a few things to do, but not enough to br worth spending much time unless you have business.

Folks with Asian heritage may feel differently but to me it’s just a big multicultural city like Toronto but with unpleasant weather and cleaner.

I don’t understand comparisons with Japan-the latter is almost as far north as Canada. Singapore is on the equator. Korea and Japan and maybe north China vs southern China like yunnan, Vietnam, Laos Burma Thailand Malaysia etc.
Oct 7, 2017
176 posts
60 upvotes
Singapore is pretty good at penalty as well. Bring some cash with you when you go there. Overall it's a good city.
Nov 23, 2010
990 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Poutinesauce wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 12:11 am
Singapore is the most boring travel destination I have ever been to. It's such an artificially clean, controlled and contrived society. The nanny state gone wrong. Plus there really isn't much to do at all there unless you're a millionnaire. Also people don't feel genuine and have this competitive vibe to them. The older Chinese residents are especially rude and always look annoyed. The younger ones are usually more approcheable and kinder.

IMO it's only worth it as a hub to visit other Asian destinations. But then again Manila offers far more dirt cheap international flights with Cebu Pacific. You can even go to Sydney for a little more than 300$. And it's far cheaper to be lodged around the Manila airport than in Singapore.

The only thing I really liked is the delicious and affordable Chinese food. But then again, other places offer it for better and cheaper.
I want to go and live like the peeps in [Crazy Rich Asians]!!!! :p
Feb 15, 2009
466 posts
57 upvotes
Back on topic, it's is back down to the OP price of $673 for UA flights connecting through the states.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2813 posts
1381 upvotes
Calgary
Francis21 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 12:41 am
agreed. nothing but shopping. the marina bay sands and gardens by the bay are good I guess. but skip it and go to kuala lumpur instead.
actually, THE destination of choice for SEA is THAILAND! BANGKOK if shoppin's da game & outskirts/small towns/resort islands if sunshine, beaches & margaritas your thang. & more importantly, $CAD goes a long way Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes