Expired Hot Deals

Toronto to Singapore - $674 RT (September 2018-June 2019)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2018 11:22 am
Dec 30, 2017
114 posts
100 upvotes
scotsum wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 3:05 pm
actually, THE destination of choice for SEA is THAILAND! BANGKOK if shoppin's da game & outskirts/small towns/resort islands if sunshine, beaches & margaritas your thang. & more importantly, $CAD goes a long way Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
I really didn’t like Bangkok but it’s been many years, going back to Chiangmai soon- excited! It was a backwater town popular with backpackers way back when. Next year Vietnam.
Dec 2, 2009
541 posts
157 upvotes
Ottawa
kiasu wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 8:08 am
I stand by my points. Have u ever lived there? I grew up in Msia and i also have friends and relative in spore too. Everytime i go to Spore is to visit friends n chicken rice..that’s it..

IMO, chicken rice is the only dish is good in Spore. Chili crab? Did u even try it in Msia? There r few fanous in PJ. What is next? Dont tell me BKT in Spore is good. BKT is original from Klang in Msia. The worse one in Klang is better than Spore. Someone told me nasi lemak in Singapore comes with tomato..lol.

OMG..I miss all dishes from Msia..I want ABC now when the weather is 40c here. There r so many dishes in Malaysia..you name it
Did you even try nasi lemak in sg? I personally don't like nasi lemak and i'm not saying it's good, but your rant makes no sense if you're relying on clearly biased comments from friends.

If you think chili crab is better in malaysia, you clearly don't know where to go in singapore.

Food taste is highly subjective. It's pretty dumb to make blanket statements like the ones you've made.

The only thing malaysia has on singapore is dirtiness, more crime, and black hokkien mee.

The only reason why singaporeans go to malaysia for food is cause it's cheaper. Let's be real, it's not better.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
11171 posts
1485 upvotes
darylscool wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 5:20 pm
Did you even try nasi lemak in sg? I personally don't like nasi lemak and i'm not saying it's good, but your rant makes no sense if you're relying on clearly biased comments from friends.

If you think chili crab is better in malaysia, you clearly don't know where to go in singapore.

Food taste is highly subjective. It's pretty dumb to make blanket statements like the ones you've made.

The only thing malaysia has on singapore is dirtiness, more crime, and black hokkien mee.

The only reason why singaporeans go to malaysia for food is cause it's cheaper. Let's be real, it's not better.
Lol..the most ignorant comment i ever read..’let’s be real’? Lol

Oh then.. let’s be real..Singapore has nothing..i mean nothing to do during weekend n holiday..so Sporeans like to go over to Msia because of hiking, camping, and all kind od activies...oh of course the food is better than spore..lol
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2813 posts
1381 upvotes
Calgary
Rubberbiscuit wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 4:51 pm
I really didn’t like Bangkok but it’s been many years, going back to Chiangmai soon- excited! It was a backwater town popular with backpackers way back when. Next year Vietnam.
nothing much has changed as Bangkok's traffic's still bad (very bad to be specific), hot & muggy, polluted with humanity packed into a sardine can. that said, it's not much different than alot of big cities in SEA (or Asia for that matter). ChiangMai's much better as its much smaller & is also located in the northern Thailand with slightly cooler temps.

obviously, the beaches/resorts are where its at esp for tourists with only a few weeks to soak it in.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3785 posts
1582 upvotes
I'll be going to Thailand again with my wife for the umpteenth time in another few weeks and really, really looking forward to it. We're not rich and not poor, but for the last 30+ years we've been willing to pay up to fly direct to Asia. Air Canada has been OK, but flying through the U.S. and connecting with their own airlines never seemed to work out too well for us.

We'll visit Bangkok, and stay awhile in both the north and northeast (Isaan) part of Thailand. We're not beach people so not much interested in going to the tourist resorts in the south.

Once or twice we flew from Toronto on Thai Airways International before their service one year abruptly stopped. Had to look it up, and sure enough I'd forgotten that Singapore Airlines used to fly from Toronto via Vienna and Amsterdam to Singapore. Nowadays it's usually a choice between Cathay Pacific or Eva Air.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
11171 posts
1485 upvotes
Same dish but Malaysia vs Spore

Left is from Malaysia and original..
Right is from Singapore

You will notice huge different
56A1CA03-2633-4E45-9B13-365671CDD0BB.jpeg
C393E0D8-96F3-4357-B602-8881698F9D68.jpeg
CB779AB3-AFBF-4871-970C-E3C0CCB0548E.jpeg
9C2063C3-5EEF-4F9C-9BF7-FA1BFBD7A63F.jpeg
5E3F221E-CC41-409E-942C-575D3C4525CB.jpeg
19910D46-12A4-4506-BE0C-681BB17BAEB0.jpeg
AAE23542-B612-465B-AB57-271D2A70B43A.jpeg
D883BB77-F192-4EA6-8B4F-03FD5968695B.jpeg
A7776EBB-9B9B-4D69-8A6C-E691AE6CF9A5.jpeg
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
May 7, 2008
622 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Ok we get it. You're a fiercely proud Malaysian and nothing will ever convince you that Singapore has anything better than what's in Malaysia. My whole post was to show that there is another perspective.

And really? The pictures are a bit desperate and pathetic. The same exercise could be performed with the best looking Singaporean dishes besides the worst Malaysian versions.

Generally my allegiance is more towards my Malaysian side, but your jingoistic attitude towards your neighboring former countrymen makes Malaysian look like they have a deep inferiority complex and is highly unappealing. Why don't you move back to Malaysia and you can have all the BKT and ABC you want, as my family left Malaysia to the more inclusive Canada that values diversity from discrimination that many Malays like you subjected them to.
kiasu wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 10:14 am
Same dish but Malaysia vs Spore

Left is from Malaysia and original..
Right is from Singapore

You will notice huge different
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
1956 posts
688 upvotes
Stryker wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 9:48 am
I'll be going to Thailand again with my wife for the umpteenth time in another few weeks and really, really looking forward to it. We're not rich and not poor, but for the last 30+ years we've been willing to pay up to fly direct to Asia. Air Canada has been OK, but flying through the U.S. and connecting with their own airlines never seemed to work out too well for us.

We'll visit Bangkok, and stay awhile in both the north and northeast (Isaan) part of Thailand. We're not beach people so not much interested in going to the tourist resorts in the south.

Once or twice we flew from Toronto on Thai Airways International before their service one year abruptly stopped. Had to look it up, and sure enough I'd forgotten that Singapore Airlines used to fly from Toronto via Vienna and Amsterdam to Singapore. Nowadays it's usually a choice between Cathay Pacific or Eva Air.
They used to fly direct from Singapore (SIN) to Toronto (YYZ) back in the 90's.
"Singapore Airlines" was banned by the Canadian Government, full stop. Hence my disdain for AC. And similarly for any company (e.g. TREB) that discourages competition.
https://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/23/busi ... riers.html

"Air Canada had petitioned the Canadian government to halt Singapore Airlines' transatlantic service on the grounds that the Singapore carrier was siphoning off potential Air Canada passengers, something SIA disputes."