Toronto to Singapore, what's the best place to stop over

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 12:28 am
[OP]
May 22, 2019
403 posts
80 upvotes

Toronto to Singapore, what's the best place to stop over

I am heading for a business trip to Singapore, I am thinking for a possible stop over trip.

I used to transit in Los Angeles, Dubai, Shanghai, Beijing, . With COVID-19, looks that options are limited to Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong and Doha. (I am not considering any European cities, as Europe is full of COVID-19).

What is the best choice and which country does not require quarantine? I have heard a lot of violent stories about Hong Kong and Taipei from my Asian colleagues; with personal security as my first priority, among Tokyo, Seoul and Doha, what would be the best place to transit for a day or two?

Time would be in September.
13 replies
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3826 upvotes
Lol, good luck in Asia, most countries deny any entry unless you are a citizen/resident. I know for a fact Japan does not allow any foreigners. Not sure about South Korea or Taiwan
Oct 31, 2012
489 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
Are you booking cash flights or points? I would have said TPE but you said there is violence (as an aside what violence are they speaking of in Taipei?). If you are going sooner rather than later I would avoid Doha as they have a decent size of passengers with COVD on their flights and Qatar has been banned from some nations even after they were previously allowed due to COVID passengers. If you can get into Tokyo I would go for that as tourists will be very far and few in between, which is rare for Tokyo.
Jul 16, 2019
515 posts
284 upvotes
This is a weird thread.
Most countries listed will not allow entry at all. Those that do require quarantine. So your plan to spend a day or two in transit is not going to work. At best you can transit without leaving the airport.
And even though Taiwan is not allowing visitors, not sure where you are getting the info that Taipei is violent - I have been there many times on work and would say that it is one of the safest cities anywhere.
Oct 31, 2012
489 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
vernonco wrote: This is a weird thread.
not sure where you are getting the info that Taipei is violent - I have been there many times on work and would say that it is one of the safest cities anywhere.
I too was taken back by that comment.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11433 posts
2014 upvotes
Toronto
vernonco wrote: This is a weird thread.
Most countries listed will not allow entry at all. Those that do require quarantine. So your plan to spend a day or two in transit is not going to work. At best you can transit without leaving the airport.
And even though Taiwan is not allowing visitors, not sure where you are getting the info that Taipei is violent - I have been there many times on work and would say that it is one of the safest cities anywhere.
OP living in a bubble or something.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3136 posts
1285 upvotes
Montreal
Lol @ Taipei being violent.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4575 posts
954 upvotes
Scarborough
kenze wrote: Lol @ Taipei being violent.
I know, I LOL'd reading that as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1123 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
Japan won't let anyone in who has been in 90% of the world in the last 2 weeks, unless you're a citizen or very specific types of permanent resident. While you may be able to transit, you definitely cannot stop over.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3826 upvotes
Maybe if he loves toyota that much japan will make an exemption for him
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17740 posts
1279 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
kenze wrote: Lol @ Taipei being violent.
I think he's mixing up Taipei with Cape Town
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17740 posts
1279 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Also, if you're legit going to Sing on a biz trip (and not trolling) why isn't your firm springing for J class on SQ?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8408 posts
1304 upvotes
Vancouver
konfusion666 wrote: Also, if you're legit going to Sing on a biz trip (and not trolling) why isn't your firm springing for J class on SQ?
SQ or Singapore airlines for the non frequent flyers doesn’t service Canada.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19733 posts
4341 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Violence in Taipei?? I don't know what that is about. They have a great train right into Main Station in the centre of the city, and the transit all over the place is excellent. I was fortunate to visit Taipei last year before all of the pandemic, and I felt it was extremely safe and it has tonnes to see and do. You'll regret spending only a day or two.

I highly recommend CityInn Taipei Main Station III - perfect transit hotel and extremely close to Taipei Main Station.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?