(Toronto) Speed cameras coming to an intersection near you

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2020 12:41 am
[OP]
Nov 13, 2016
485 posts
266 upvotes

(Toronto) Speed cameras coming to an intersection near you

More cash grab by the city and/or province.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6301056/auto ... 6K5f9PjceQ

Even one Km over the posted speed is speeding, so get ready for the new tax. And similar to red light camera since this is not a conviction on the driver's record, most will just pay the fine instead of fight it.

Actually there may be very limited options to fight the ticket.

CD
99 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20029 posts
5413 upvotes
Good Morning
They're all located by schools aren't they?
[OP]
Nov 13, 2016
485 posts
266 upvotes
coriolis wrote: They're all located by schools aren't they?
Not necessarily. They will be moved around different blocks in rotation. Something that starts with a good intention will eventually be used for revenue...

CD
Apr 15, 2014
955 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Canadadesi wrote: Not necessarily. They will be moved around different blocks in rotation. Something that starts with a good intention will eventually be used for revenue...

CD
Good. The City needs more revenue.
Please respond
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35220 posts
21193 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ottawa needs this too.
The route I take to work starts at 60kph and many drivers are going 80kph and when it turns to 80kph, they're going 100kph.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3294 posts
1637 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote: Ottawa needs this too.
The route I take to work starts at 60kph and many drivers are going 80kph and when it turns to 80kph, they're going 100kph.
Tell me about it, I was at Stittsville this past weekend and driving normally under road KM but people behind me were honking!

But I believe it's mostly those people who either leave late for work or are on a rush to get somewhere. Dam just leave early instead man, why risk driving so fast?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35220 posts
21193 upvotes
Center of Universe
lamboman wrote: Tell me about it, I was at Stittsville this past weekend and driving normally under road KM but people behind me were honking!

But I believe it's mostly those people who either leave late for work or are on a rush to get somewhere. Dam just leave early instead man, why risk driving so fast?
There's really no point, as they up stuck at the next lights anyways.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1367 upvotes
Terrible idea. Back in February of this year, Alberta admitted the use of photo radar was a cash cow for municipalities (as opposed to safety concerns). No demerit points and rotating locations will practically ensure this will be used to generate as much $$$ for Toronto.

I am not sure what prompted Alberta to give up. Overall dumb idea.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Nov 29, 2011
968 posts
342 upvotes
Milton
If convicted, the only penalty is a fine, no demerit points will be issued, and the registered owners driving record will not be impacted, the city says.
What about insurance, that's all that really matters anyway (and of course, demerit points don't matter to insurance).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
Tory:
The fact is, [people] should be going zero over the limit,
I wonder if he drives at all.

Everyone goes over the speed limit. 45 on 40, 55 on 50. This is going to get everyone
May 21, 2008
775 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: Ottawa needs this too.
Totally Agree. Seems like everyone is in rush for some reason.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
evosero wrote: What about insurance, that's all that really matters anyway (and of course, demerit points don't matter to insurance).
No effect on insurance.
Similar to red light camera, this is only to catch the vehicles, and not the driver - Unlike when you get caught by police.

Full cash grab, no thing about safety.
May 21, 2018
584 posts
553 upvotes
I look forward to disputing my future speeding ticket in court.
Don't forget to goo your attic!
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1323 posts
819 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly having to keep at a consistent speed will make me more distracted while driving, especially if there any uphills/downhills. Won't be surprised if people drive even slower than the posted.

Terrible..
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9668 posts
9122 upvotes
Markham
Have any of you always gone perfectly 40 in a 40 zone? or 60 in a 60 zone? If you said yes, you're a lying sack of poop.

If this thing triggers >1km on speed limit, it's going to cause everyone to get a ticket.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5188 posts
1958 upvotes
Toronto
Electrah wrote: Honestly having to keep at a consistent speed will make me more distracted while driving, especially if there any uphills/downhills. Won't be surprised if people drive even slower than the posted.

Terrible..
I think that's what you're taught in Driver's Ed. To keep at a constant speed on down/uphills ....

For example, if you drive manual you are advised not to downshift on a downhill since the driver behind you wouldn't know you are slowing down without brake lights in use.

I don't think is such an issue since most people drive with Waze/Google Maps on their phones.

If this becomes an annoyance most people will just be motivated to buy cars with Android Auto/Apple Carplay support.

We're almost there in terms Alberta's unmanned speed enforcement.

Just missing the parked patrol cars that auto tag speedsters on the freeways.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19454 posts
3519 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: Have any of you always gone perfectly 40 in a 40 zone? or 60 in a 60 zone? If you said yes, you're a lying sack of poop.

If this thing triggers >1km on speed limit, it's going to cause everyone to get a ticket.
Yep. School zones especially.

I knew this would happen as soon as they rolled out their "30 kph, think of the children!" campaign. Enforcing a speed limit of a hard 30 is excessive, but people do drive at dangerous speeds on every road in the city. I regularly see people blasting down the 50kph road in front of my place at 70+, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35220 posts
21193 upvotes
Center of Universe
Anikiri wrote: Have any of you always gone perfectly 40 in a 40 zone? or 60 in a 60 zone? If you said yes, you're a lying sack of poop.

+/- 5kph, not 20kph over.
I'm sure there's going to be a threshold.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7005 posts
1356 upvotes
Scarborough
Do we have a list of locations to avoid these cashextortion ??
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2320 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto

I was wondering this too. I hope there will be a 1 to 9 km/h buffer. I'm constantly looking up and down between the road and my speedometer when the max is 40 or 50 km/h because it's so hard to maintain those speeds. In a school zone I'm between 35 and 42 km/h. I find it easier to just aim for 35 km/h and I end up at just below 40 km/h.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"