Shopping Discussion

Toronto star amazon Alexa promotion scam

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2018 11:21 pm
[OP]
Apr 23, 2018
2 posts

Toronto star amazon Alexa promotion scam

Hi, first time poster, please let me know if this is in the wrong category.

A few months ago at the Toronto Auto Show, I saw the Toronto Star was having a promotion. The promotion was that if you signed up for the weekend subscription you get a free Amazon Alexa. This deal seemed interesting so I went to the kiosk and talked to the sales representative, Krishna. He explained to me the subscription cost about $5 (+tax) a weekend and that I could cancel anytime after 5 weekends. I asked if there was any sort of penalty and he said no. $30 for an Amazon Alexa, good deal right? Apparently not, because 5 weeks later I called the Toronto Star and they said it was a year long contract and I am stuck paying $21 a month for a year.

Did anyone else that went to the auto show come across this problem? What should I do about this?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2288 posts
892 upvotes
Toronto
Did you sign anything? If yes, I hope you have a copy. Read it now and see what it says.

Sounds like the guy lied to you. Did you tell the Toronto Star about what the guy at the auto show told you?
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Apr 23, 2018
2 posts
Yes, I signed a contract and I went over it with the Toronto Star customer service department. I told them about the associate that flat out lied to me and they put my account on hold until they did an investigation. A few weeks went by and today I got a call from a manager named Caitlyn, and she explained that my only two options were to either continue with the subscription or pay for the rest of the 10 months. I asked what their investigation consisted of and she said reading over the contract. I asked what was going to happen to the associate that lied to me and she said she didn't know, she hasn't talked to him because she is not responsible for them. I asked why I should be penalized for being lied to by an associate and she explained the contract was right there with all the information. I explained that why would I go through it thoroughly when the associate is explaining the contract to me, and I thought the last company that would lie is the Toronto Star because they are all about telling the truth. And she exclaimed, that why should they be penalized for me not reading the contract and I said because your associate clearly didn't receive proper training. She just insisted I only had the two options she mentioned before.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7644 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
$5 a, weekend for 5 weeks and get an amazon Alexa.

Sounds way too good to be true.

I bet if there was no special promo, anyone can cancel anytime after 5 weeks, but because there is a freebie attached to the promo, contract has changed.

You are pretty much SOL, it's your words against his,and in situations like this, everything goes with what the contract states.

ALWAYS read the contract.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1309 posts
315 upvotes
You signed on the dotted line. What do you think shoul happen ?

If they question the dude, he’ll say, “I explained everything to him”. You didn’t read what you signed, on a too-good-to-be-true offer. It’s your fault for being lazy and not reading it. No way getting out of it unless you somehow have a recording of dude lying to you, which looks like you don’t.
Banned
Feb 12, 2018
299 posts
61 upvotes
Calgary
broc wrote: You signed on the dotted line. What do you think shoul happen ?

If they question the dude, he’ll say, “I explained everything to him”. You didn’t read what you signed, on a too-good-to-be-true offer. It’s your fault for being lazy and not reading it. No way getting out of it unless you somehow have a recording of dude lying to you, which looks like you don’t.
Good luck getting the idea of personal responsibility through to modern society.
Proud VPN user, American and Canadian citizen, NRA member, penny-pincher
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5994 posts
1852 upvotes
Montreal
You got an Amazon Echo. Alexa is the software that runs on the Echo.

Read contracts before you sign them. Especially when something sounds too good to be true.