Food & Drink

Toronto Star column about Tim Horton's failures

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 10:50 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4344 posts
3873 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: As a Gen X'er, I support this statement.
Me too, brother. 1974 vintage here.... But I also hate Tim's! Didn't become a coffee fan until after I tried Starbucks. Didn't like donuts until I tried Krispy Kreme on a trip to the US.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
7857 posts
2708 upvotes
Grimsby
I only go to Tims now if I get a gift card from friends/family. I tried a breakfast sandwich last time and it was frankly disgusting. They spent millions redesigning the lid and it still spills all over the place 8/10 times if I get drive thru. They've coasted on inertia and marketing as the "hockey brand of Canadians" for too long. The menu there is overwhelming now, though this is a problem at many places. Also the changes to Roll up the Rim were so poorly thought out, really ruined the program for me.

Anyways needless to say we got a Keurig at the office instead. If I'm going to drink mediocre coffee then I might as well skip the drive-thru lines and keep it in house.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2013
3334 posts
1411 upvotes
Scarborough
Tim or McDonalds, they slap on the lid on the coffe with the palm of their hands. Their raw, dirty hands!. But every one more concerned about taste, design and quality.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
1259 posts
572 upvotes
Ontario
As someone who used to eat out almost daily before this pandemic (I traveled all over Ontario) BOTH McDonalds and Tims food overall isn't very good.
Yes, they both have a few select good things mind you, but overall not.
McDonalds is getting way to expensive for what you get (other then like coffee.)
Tims is trying to get into to many things it shouldn't be, and the quality of food is getting worse, and service is poorer.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Member
Jan 15, 2017
285 posts
139 upvotes
Vancouver
IcarusLSC wrote: As someone who used to eat out almost daily before this pandemic (I traveled all over Ontario) BOTH McDonalds and Tims food overall isn't very good.
Yes, they both have a few select good things mind you, but overall not.
McDonalds is getting way to expensive for what you get (other then like coffee.)
Tims is trying to get into to many things it shouldn't be, and the quality of food is getting worse, and service is poorer.
McD's is miles ahead of Tims, only because Tims food is about as bad as it can get and still qualify as "food" .
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12960 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: Tim or McDonalds, they slap on the lid on the coffe with the palm of their hands. Their raw, dirty hands!. But every one more concerned about taste, design and quality.
(Generally speaking) their hands aren't dirty. Those same hands are usually assembling your food.
Obviously there's exceptions with people that don't maintain hygiene, but the majority of people touching stuff are fairly clean. ish.
Slapping a lid on a drink is the LEAST of my worries when it comes to cleanliness.
digger314 wrote:
McD's is miles ahead of Tims, only because Tims food is about as bad as it can get and still qualify as "food" .
I wouldn't even count Tim's as food.
It's edible (as in it won't kill you) but it's not worth eating.
Everyone shits on McDonalds for some reason, but they have some of the cleanest ingredient lists in the industry.

Solely because of (the lack of) cooking facilities I wouldn't even put them in the same category.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4344 posts
3873 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I wouldn't even count Tim's as food.
It's edible (as in it won't kill you) but it's not worth eating.
Everyone shits on McDonalds for some reason, but they have some of the cleanest ingredient lists in the industry.
Solely because of (the lack of) cooking facilities I wouldn't even put them in the same category.
Here's an observation:

Tim's serves food that was frozen at the factory and is reheated in the store.
Burger King "flame-grills" burgers in advance and then microwaves them to order.

Should we be surprised they're owned by the same company? What shortcuts are they sneaking on us over at Popeye's? You must be on to something given your dislike of that chain!
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa
OrangeBerry wrote: Tim or McDonalds, they slap on the lid on the coffe with the palm of their hands. Their raw, dirty hands!. But every one more concerned about taste, design and quality.
Or Starbucks, or Second Cup, or Bridgehead, or ....or.....or....
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Here's an observation:

Tim's serves food that was frozen at the factory and is reheated in the store.
Burger King "flame-grills" burgers in advance and then microwaves them to order.

Should we be surprised they're owned by the same company? What shortcuts are they sneaking on us over at Popeye's? You must be on to something given your dislike of that chain!
There is not a chain of fast food places that does not get it's product in bulk pre packaged and re-heats or de-frosts and then heats in one form of another before serving. that is the only way to be a fast food place.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2013
3334 posts
1411 upvotes
Scarborough
death_hawk wrote: (Generally speaking) their hands aren't dirty. Those same hands are usually assembling your food.
Obviously there's exceptions with people that don't maintain hygiene, but the majority of people touching stuff are fairly clean. ish.
Slapping a lid on a drink is the LEAST of my worries when it comes to cleanliness.



I wouldn't even count Tim's as food.
It's edible (as in it won't kill you) but it's not worth eating.
Everyone shits on McDonalds for some reason, but they have some of the cleanest ingredient lists in the industry.

Solely because of (the lack of) cooking facilities I wouldn't even put them in the same category.
The cashier who uses one glove to handle money but also uses their other hand to remove the dirty glove, then they grab the coffee pot, touch the lid and then slap it on there. Don't see any cleanliness there bud. It's not other places where a cashier is a cashier and every one has their job. I guess I should have retracted my previous comment about McDonalds since they do have a independent person making coffee. Tims seems to be less structual.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5602 posts
2790 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote: Or Starbucks, or Second Cup, or Bridgehead, or ....or.....or....
To be fair, when I get a brewed coffee from Starbucks I’m the one who puts the lid on.

Although I haven’t been to one since before the pandemic so I don’t know if they still do that (i.e. do they still have the separate milk/sugar/lid counter?)
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa
mrweather wrote: To be fair, when I get a brewed coffee from Starbucks I’m the one who puts the lid on.

Although I haven’t been to one since before the pandemic so I don’t know if they still do that (i.e. do they still have the separate milk/sugar/lid counter?)
If you removed it to put in cream and sugar. In all Starbucks I have been in, they pass it to you with the lid on.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5602 posts
2790 upvotes
Mississauga
Is that a recent change? When I used to get something like a Pike Place, they’d hand me the filled coffee cup and I put the lid on.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4344 posts
3873 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: If you removed it to put in cream and sugar. In all Starbucks I have been in, they pass it to you with the lid on.
mrweather wrote: Is that a recent change? When I used to get something like a Pike Place, they’d hand me the filled coffee cup and I put the lid on.
Here's what I've observed at my local Starbucks.

Pre-pandemic, hot drinks were served without lids, if you want a lid you get it yourself (iced coffees, frapps, iced teas always get a lid as the clear lids aren't out by the sugar etc).

During the pandemic (and I suspect after), all drinks are served with a lid.

So you're both right.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa
mrweather wrote: Is that a recent change? When I used to get something like a Pike Place, they’d hand me the filled coffee cup and I put the lid on.
And they would get sued if hot coffee spilled on their hand if it did not have a lid.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.

Top