Toronto Star column about Tim Horton's failures

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 10:50 am
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Becks wrote: Aren't the donuts cheaper at Safeway?
Even free at thrift shops. Some places (particularly Langley, B.C. for some reason) get so much close-to-best-by baking that they have to implore customers to take it. Not enough hungry, poor and homeless.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Dec 2, 2015
15 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Both Tim's and McD's flavoured coffee don't actually taste like that flavour. Second Cup and Starbucks don't have that problem.
If I get a caramel latte from Starbucks or Second Cup, I taste caramel. Tims and McD's, nothing.
I think it isn't mixed in well because sometimes I find syrupy goop at the bottom of the cup once I'm finished.
For a plain coffee or cappuccino, I prefer McDs to Tims
The donut and bread dough taste weird at Tim's. Donuts taste like they are part plastic and the sandwich bread, cardboardy. It's sad.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11407 posts
1996 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: We pretty much agree on everything but I wanted to touch on this point:

They won't go to Tim's when they outgrow Frappuccinos. They'll either stay with Starbucks and first progress to those "hot candy in a cup" drinks -- PSL, cinnamon dolce latte, caramel macchiato, gingerbread latte -- and eventually to the adult drinks like flat whites, doppio espresso macchiatos, etc, or decide they're "too cool for Starbucks, which is for amateurs" and turn all coffee-snob by going to places like Intelligentsia, Stumptown, and Blue Bottle in the USA (so for the GTA I'm thinking Sam James, Fahrenheit, Pilot, Balzac's, etc.). Tim's will always be uncool for this group. Tim's lost them and can never get them back.

The equivalent would be a beer drinker from that age group. Probably drank Budweiser when they were teens, but once legal, turn into beer-snobs and buy nothing but hoppy craft beer. Bud lost this group in the same way Tim's did.

Remember, Gen Z and Millennials are more like rich spoiled 80's kids -- very upmarket, or want to look the part. Tim Hortons and Budweiser are beneath them. They weren't beat into submission by the boomers and destined to lives of poverty like Gen X was. This is why Tim's owns Gen X and needs to keep them. Tim's is for poor people, those with money (or think they do) wouldn't be caught dead there. Where do you see panhandlers spend all that spare change they got? Not Starbucks....

The outlook for Tim's is very bleak given the demographics they rely on.
I must be part of the 'poor' 80s kids. Though I generally classify near the end of Gen-X, I fall into the 'Xennial' camp. We drank beer as teens in the 90s whatever was cheap or known. Labatt Ice, Export, Dry, Schlitz for a time, etc.

And when I meet up with my buds still, we still get whatever we know.. Canadian, 'Cool', maybe Keiths type. We don't groan when there is no 'craft'. Often just go to the local 'dive' bar. I have a big group of friends who are millennials (even 4-5 years younger) and they laugh at my drinking tastes. And yes, for me, cost matters, so my go to daily drinks is bound by price.. low $2 tall cans or discount beer like Blue, some European ones that are good.

Coffee? It was Coffee Time, Baker's Dozen. Funny thing in Toronto, there wasn't many Tim Horton's around. It was independent Donut Shoppes (not coffee shop), or CoffeeTime mainly in the mid to later 90s. My friends and I? Same.. still drink whatever.. Instant coffee, Tim's if we have to. When I worked in the core, I would just get Timothy's for that 'stronger' coffee while ppl would wait in line like crazy for StarBucks.

Definitely Gen X or 'less spoiled' 80s kids were really the last of the 'old' shopping way.

But definitely agree, Tim's is going to go down swiftly as their market ages. And for so long, just obssessed about maximizing their Private Equity return. Individual franchises were pissed knowing the quality was going to the gutter, but Private Equity didn't care.. they were in the business of maxing out earnings from their franchisees.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10772 posts
3320 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Tims has gotten very slow over the years. They used to be good at what they did, coffee, donuts, muffins and a couple basic sandwiches. Now they have a huge menu and they aren't efficient like they used to be. It takes them longer to serve the same number of people.
The Tims around the corner is sooo fast.

Tim Hortons has had a lot of issues and missteps but speed has not been one of them in my experience.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24956 posts
4198 upvotes
kool1 wrote: The Tims around the corner is sooo fast.

Tim Hortons has had a lot of issues and missteps but speed has not been one of them in my experience.
It has been in my experience. I find them very slow especially when people order food.

There does also seem to be a lot of newer Canadians suddenly working at all the Tims in my area. There's a large language barrier, so that likely doesn't help things. Things might be better now though. I haven't been to a Tims in at least 3 months, probably longer.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10772 posts
3320 upvotes
Shaner wrote: It has been in my experience. I find them very slow especially when people order food.

There does also seem to be a lot of newer Canadians suddenly working at all the Tims in my area. There's a large language barrier, so that likely doesn't help things. Things might be better now though. I haven't been to a Tims in at least 3 months, probably longer.
Ya - other than students, not many Canadians want to work fast food, especially in large cities.
Aug 12, 2012
844 posts
411 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The only time I go to Tim's is to get a box of Timbits for the office, which isn't too often. And I haven't been to the office in 6 months now. Can't say I miss the place.