Toronto Star piece on Mmmuffins

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 2:11 am
47 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7948 posts
3970 upvotes
We used to go to MMMuffins every morning before school. I loved their Apple Cinnamon muffins. Those were the days.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2004
1154 posts
32 upvotes
Markham
Their cheese muffin was my favourite. Can’t find it anywhere anymore Crying Face
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13356 posts
2253 upvotes
City of Vancouver
huthut wrote: Their cheese muffin was my favourite. Can’t find it anywhere anymore Crying Face
+1
Its disappearance must be due to brand/marketing mismanagement rather than market trends. That's my theory, 'cuz they had a tasty product.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Nov 4, 2008
486 posts
937 upvotes
Toronto
huthut wrote: Their cheese muffin was my favourite. Can’t find it anywhere anymore Crying Face
The article says that there are two left in Canada. One of which is in downtown Toronto in the PATH.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16373 posts
3661 upvotes
Toronto
easy-e wrote: The article says that there are two left in Canada. One of which is in downtown Toronto in the PATH.
That same article suggests that when the lease ends it may end those locations, turning them into something else.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4677 posts
4189 upvotes
sprung wrote: anybody else remember these places?

https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/ ... uffin.html
For those of you who are going to reply "TL;DR" let me summarize this total waste of newspaper column inches/net bandwidth in one sentence (is it that slow of a news day for the Star to waste space on this?)

MTY Group is propping up yet another dying/dead mall food court chain.

Whoop-tee-doo...
Reminder #1: Kraρrig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Reminder #2: The burger chain with the Big Mac is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Get it right.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14105 posts
3918 upvotes
Montréal
Back in the 80s, their chocolate chip cookies were amazing, thick, full of chips, soft.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
2246 posts
732 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: For those of you who are going to reply "TL;DR" let me summarize this total waste of newspaper column inches/net bandwidth in one sentence (is it that slow of a news day for the Star to waste space on this?)

MTY Group is propping up yet another dying/dead mall food court chain.

Whoop-tee-doo...
From the article:

"MTY is more interested in the high-traffic locations of where the two Mmmuffins are and will likely transform the remaining two stores into another food concept once the franchise leases expire in the next two years."
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5962 posts
3061 upvotes
Mississauga
easy-e wrote: The article says that there are two left in Canada. One of which is in downtown Toronto in the PATH.
Back in the day when I worked downtown I would hit up the store in the Path at Scotia Bank Plaza. Don’t know if it’s still around or not.
Nov 4, 2008
486 posts
937 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: Back in the day when I worked downtown I would hit up the store in the Path at Scotia Bank Plaza. Don’t know if it’s still around or not.
It's still around! I walked by it today when I went out to get lunch.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1864 upvotes
Scarborough
choclover wrote: We used to go to MMMuffins every morning before school. I loved their Apple Cinnamon muffins. Those were the days.
Their corn muffins were a favourite with my dad and I.

We used to buy a whole pack of 6 or a dozen sometimes as a nice treat.

Yup, those were the days, indeed! Sigh. Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7103 posts
4268 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Back in Victoria we had Marvelous Muffins I n the 80s/90s. Basically like eating a big piece of cake. So good. I loved their butterscotch chip it ones, and any of their fruit ones with cream cheese filling and frosting. OMG so good.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1864 upvotes
Scarborough
Chickinvic wrote: Back in Victoria we had Marvelous Muffins I n the 80s/90s. OMG so good.
I think it was the same chain, just went as "mmmarvelous mmmuffins".

Really rings a bell now recollecting on those days with them.

They were indeed the best!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14105 posts
3918 upvotes
Montréal
In honor of Mmmmmuffins, I gonna cram extra chocolate chips in cookie mix for extra goodness. Mmmm, chocolate chip cookies....
Last edited by tranquility922 on Mar 13th, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21382 posts
2621 upvotes
Toronto
wifey loves their choco chip muffins.......and I work near Scotia Plaza so can pick them up....

don't kill off the last Toronto location.....noooooooo...........

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16373 posts
3661 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: wifey loves their choco chip muffins.......and I work near Scotia Plaza so can pick them up....
don't kill off the last Toronto location.....noooooooo...........
If they believe in the muffins, they can always set up some new place "featuring Mmmmuffins".
The selection might be more limited, but they can do more with other ideas this way at a time when rent is forever climbing while we are all only willing to pay so much for a muffin...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7948 posts
3970 upvotes
choclover wrote: We used to go to MMMuffins every morning before school. I loved their Apple Cinnamon muffins. Those were the days.
So sorry...I just realized I was mistaken. The place we used to go to was called MUFFIN BREAK not Mmmmuffins. Still, I have fond memories of Apple Cinnamon muffins. Mmmmm...
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4677 posts
4189 upvotes
choclover wrote: So sorry...I just realized I was mistaken. The place we used to go to was called MUFFIN BREAK not Mmmmuffins. Still, I have fond memories of Apple Cinnamon muffins. Mmmmm...
If you miss Muffin Break, they live on in the UK and Australia!

https://muffinbreak.co.uk/our-story/
Reminder #1: Kraρrig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Reminder #2: The burger chain with the Big Mac is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Get it right.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1864 upvotes
Scarborough
playnicee1 wrote: If they believe in the muffins, they can always set up some new place "featuring Mmmmuffins".
The selection might be more limited, but they can do more with other ideas this way at a time when rent is forever climbing while we are all only willing to pay so much for a muffin...
Surprising more places aren't pairing up with that idea and serving them like at Gateway News Stands shops, Daily Perk coffee shops, gas station shops, cinemas, or even any fast food places.

We've seen big box stores like Home Depot, Walmart, etc. partner up with cafes/fast food chains to have one within each of them.

Would be so much more convenient for all the rest of us who don't frequent to downtown where it's only left.

Miss the days when you'd have one in most of the major malls, near the food courts.