• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2018 2:36 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 7, 2018
1 posts

Toronto Star reporter looking for Black Friday shoppers

I'm a Toronto-based writer and editor. I'm currently working on a Toronto Star story about dedicated Black Friday shoppers — their strategies for finding the best deals and dealing with crowds and their best-ever finds.

I'm looking for people to speak with. If you love Black Friday shopping, I'd love to chat Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Share:
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
2065 posts
517 upvotes
Honestly been doing it year after year. With our dollar dropping about 5 years ago, hasn't been much of a point to risk shopping in USA. That being said, Canadian stores try their best.

RFD is my strategy. Especially for TVs. I'm waiting on the annual BF TV comparison price/feature chart to come out.
Oct 13, 2013
45 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
My strategy is avoiding advocacy news outlets like the Toronto Star.
Oct 13, 2013
45 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
Hey 'reporter' guy... if you want a good Black Friday deal, you should buy your own stock. It's selling for $0.90, which is a bargain compared to the $30 it once was.
Nov 14, 2014
421 posts
224 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
How about we discuss ideas to stop media from doing propaganda, war lies and protecting real criminals (what happened to the Panama leaks??).

You know....real journalism
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8268 posts
2012 upvotes
Mississauga
whyami wrote: How about we discuss ideas to stop media from doing propaganda, war lies and protecting real criminals (what happened to the Panama leaks??).

It dun sell dem dere papers no more. With all the decline in sales its hard to retain journalists to cover real news.
Oct 13, 2013
45 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
Avenger wrote: It dun sell dem dere papers no more. With all the decline in sales its hard to retain journalists to cover real news.
This advocacy news is terrible for our country and unity, whether it's from the right or left. I am glad to see a lot of people in Canada are recognizing this and calling out these clowns.
Oct 13, 2013
45 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
whyami wrote: How about we discuss ideas to stop media from doing propaganda, war lies and protecting real criminals (what happened to the Panama leaks??).

I liked Elon Musk's idea of creating a website that allows the public to rate reporters and news outlets. Basically a Yelp for news.

I think as time goes on, we actually don't need reporters and media to be our filter on information. With technology, we can access that information directly ourselves. This is why more and more people are waking up to the reality of biased news... they're doing the research themselves and can see the bias. I think as time goes on, news will be more organic and we'll find a way for stories to write themselves, without media bias because it will be the amalgamation of thousands of contributors. Whenever something is misquoted or is wrong, it will quickly get corrected, much like Wikipedia.

The other reality is that most reporters are not the sharpest tools in the shed. They're not good filters of information to begin with. Like I care what some dummy on the news hours thinks about something like say real estate. I'd rather go to the expert who has a Twitter account and read their thoughts. There are simply better ways of being informed than reading the paper or watching the news on TV.
Apr 1, 2015
360 posts
114 upvotes
Oakville
spam posts in forums constitutes journalism now? nifty
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
3701 posts
3766 upvotes
Ottawa
Hello JMT

If you take me to dinner, I put out.
Tampa Bay Lightning2020 Stanley Cup Champions!!!
The Last of Us Part II - Game of the Year 2020
Cyberpunk 2077 - Game of the Year 2021 - calling it now.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2016
1705 posts
3523 upvotes
Strategies to find the best deals for Black Friday.

RedFlagDeals.
Sep 30, 2001
28439 posts
7540 upvotes
Toronto
sorry op but the community here isn't the greatest at times. best wishes with your article.
FS: Marley Wireless Earphones (NEW)

We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another