Investing

The Toronto Star thinks that "low-fee investment products are bad for you"

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2019 7:49 pm
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3289 posts
3270 upvotes
Montreal
cn_habs wrote: Are you serious? The Trump empire was started by his father who built it from scratch. The fact remains that he had to declare bankruptcy multiple times
My understanding, not that I care so much about it, is that he inherited a lot, and made it grow.

It is also certain that he created very valuable "properties" from scratch (the apprentice, ...).

Finally, he only declared bankruptcy in relation to very specific properties. For anyone who knows business, they know that this is not meaningful: plenty of great entrepreneurs do it.


Bottom line: your comparison was faulty. You can criticize him for plenty of things, but being a failure at business is not one of those things.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
2028 posts
1012 upvotes
Houston, TX
FrancisBacon wrote: Trump started with millions and has billions.
He also built some brands from scratch.
I don't get your point.
Some reality checks...
He didn't start from scratch but used some ...questioned schemes to use (hundreds) millions in tax avoidance as start capital.
He declared several bankruptcies on the way (and saying it's a good thing)
His ACTUAL worth is unknown as he's doing everything to hide it starting from tax returns

He could be worth billions or zero or negative, we just do not know that. Except his claims which I'd not take at face value...
Make the face great again
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3289 posts
3270 upvotes
Montreal
asa1973 wrote: Some reality checks...
He didn't start from scratch but used some ...questioned schemes to use (hundreds) millions in tax avoidance as start capital.
If you're going to dona reality check, then it should be... Realistic.

1- I never said he started from scratch, so why even mention that.

2- Using "depreciation", when investing in real estate, is not "questionable". Not at all to anyone (except some journalists apparently).

3- yes, his real net worth is unknown, probably to him as well (it's hard to value many assets). Who cares?
It's beyond debate that, at a minimum, he created valuable brands from scratch.


4- bankruptcies: again, not a great thing but not a catastrophic thing either. Serial entrepreneurs try and try again.


The point is: if you're going to criticize someone, be it Obama, Trump, or anyone else, let it be for something accurate. Really, it only weakens an argument to throw some of this obviously false stuff in. What next? That he's a bad father? A lousy driver? Geez.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
2028 posts
1012 upvotes
Houston, TX
FrancisBacon wrote: If you're going to dona reality check, then it should be... Realistic.

1- I never said he started from scratch, so why even mention that.

2- Using "depreciation", when investing in real estate, is not "questionable". Not at all to anyone (except some journalists apparently).

3- yes, his real net worth is unknown, probably to him as well (it's hard to value many assets). Who cares?
It's beyond debate that, at a minimum, he created valuable brands from scratch.


4- bankruptcies: again, not a great thing but not a catastrophic thing either. Serial entrepreneurs try and try again.


The point is: if you're going to criticize someone, be it Obama, Trump, or anyone else, let it be for something accurate. Really, it only weakens an argument to throw some of this obviously false stuff in. What next? That he's a bad father? A lousy driver? Geez.
Fake news theme, eh? :)

#2 I'm referring to tax avoiding schemes like channeling dozen of millions from his father, some of them right now in criminal trial under NY authorities for Trump foundation

#3 If no material evidence he's a billionaire, how do we know what he's proclaiming i true?
You throw that "argument" - looks, he's self-made billionaire, but without any facts behind that claim.
his real net worth is unknown, probably to him as well
- so the guy so rich he don't know if he's 100M or 10B in his net worth? Just lol
Make the face great again
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 25, 2012
1872 posts
1064 upvotes
Kelowna
This Lesley Anne Scorgie seems like a real piece of work - she's just a mommy money blogger (arguably the worst kind, no offence). Pick one and write about the topic well, not both!

Cheers,
Doug
Member
Aug 24, 2019
215 posts
189 upvotes
Thalo wrote: This is the problem when newspapers rely (almost exclusively) on journalists completely lacking any education in personal finance to write personal finance columns.

The Globe & Mail is no different, with some of that god-awful financial drivel (can't call it advice) from the likes of Berman and Pape.
*Ahem*
What would financial post do?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4985 upvotes
Here 'n There
best tip i ever heard: buy low sell high
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 1, 2012
1938 posts
3228 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
eonibm wrote: best tip i ever heard: buy low sell high
That's a good one. The other tip I like is only buy stocks that go up.

Investing really is easy when you know how.
I solemnly swear, to never assume I have an inkling at which direction the market will head, and to never make any investments based on a timing strategy.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
2124 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like the article falls under the opinion section and not an article.

Not that I agree/disagree with what she said but she's written books on the topic it looks like.

Top