Ongoing Deal Discussion

Toronto Star

Toronto Star Digital Access $12 for 12 month. 92% off.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2021 11:51 am
[OP]
Mar 20, 2013
182 posts
550 upvotes
Edmonton

Toronto Star Digital Access $12 for 12 month. 92% off.

Deal Link:
Price:
$12/year
Savings:
92% off
Retailer:
Toronto Star
Toronto Star Digital Access $12 for 12 month from the Star Cineplex Special Offer. Basically $12 for a whole year.
Regular price is S149.99 for 12 month. Regular price seems a bit overpriced.
I think this can be claimed on your taxes under digital subscription too if I'm not mistaken... What say the CRA?
***Unfortunately, this offer not valid in Quebec*** Thanks Diakonos!
***Use Paypal to cancel the auto subscription upon purchase*** Thanks emale!
Last edited by CJC2000 on Oct 16th, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Thread Summary
Mod reminder:
-Telling the world how much you hate the Star and their (real or imagined) political biases has nothing to do with the deal itself and will be removed. We have the Off-topic forum where you are free to express your opinions.
-Posts advocating methods for bypassing paywalls will also be removed.
75 replies
Nov 6, 2013
478 posts
321 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thanks, OP. Note that "This offer is not available in Quebec, is void where prohibited by law, is not transferable or redeemable for cash or credit, is not valid on past purchases, and may not be combined with any other discount, coupon or offer."

I was bait and switched by The Star on a different promotion, where a few days after subscription they informed me that they could not offer the promotional rate after the first month. Of course there was no obvious mention of such a thing while I signed up.

IMO great product, with some great writers (is there anyone in Canada better than Chantal Hébert?), but the subscription and app experience were quite disappointing.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
2889 posts
764 upvotes
I'm going to make a post in group buys. But if anyone wants to split a subscription. Let me know. Maybe we can get 4 people in ?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1256 posts
1651 upvotes
Kingston
Daf wrote: I'm going to make a post in group buys. But if anyone wants to split a subscription. Let me know. Maybe we can get 4 people in ?
Split $12 four ways? lol
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1256 posts
1651 upvotes
Kingston
Daf wrote:
You want in ?
No man... Thanks. It was a tough decision but I ended up spending the entire $12... Now what will the children eat?!
Last edited by xtrmDeals on Oct 15th, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 14, 2012
362 posts
306 upvotes
North Vancouver
You can get an additional 10% off with a connected card via Ampli app.
Oct 24, 2020
3 posts
18 upvotes
See if your library system has a subscription with PressReader, then you can access Star and other papers for free.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2006
1506 posts
1027 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Any idea when this offer expires? I'm currently subscribed @ $4 a month and it appears I can still sign up for this deal...

It doesn't let me subscribe to this deal now since I have an active subscription at the moment.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
8999 posts
694 upvotes
Toronto
xtrmDeals wrote: No man... Thanks. It was a tough decision but I ended up spending the entire $12...
Check out moneybags over here.
Nov 26, 2008
934 posts
618 upvotes
GTA
can anyone confirm if the digital copy has the exact same crossword that appears in the papercopy?
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1585 posts
1237 upvotes
Thanks this is a great deal. Now I can take a morning dump and read the paper on my iPad
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1585 posts
1237 upvotes
Daf wrote: I'm going to make a post in group buys. But if anyone wants to split a subscription. Let me know. Maybe we can get 4 people in ?
Tell me you’re joking
May 6, 2014
128 posts
300 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
In before free subscription with vaccination
Jul 3, 2001
832 posts
235 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP! i've been meaning to support actual journalism but I've always thought the regular price was a bit too high. $12/year is HOT!
Aug 25, 2005
636 posts
53 upvotes
Mississauga
Toronto Star and National Post are free (digital) at many libraries. systems e.g. Toronto library -- just need to log in the library and search newspapers
Jan 7, 2020
26 posts
90 upvotes
Diakonos wrote: Thanks, OP. Note that "This offer is not available in Quebec, is void where prohibited by law, is not transferable or redeemable for cash or credit, is not valid on past purchases, and may not be combined with any other discount, coupon or offer."

I was bait and switched by The Star on a different promotion, where a few days after subscription they informed me that they could not offer the promotional rate after the first month. Of course there was no obvious mention of such a thing while I signed up.

IMO great product, with some great writers (is there anyone in Canada better than Chantal Hébert?), but the subscription and app experience were quite disappointing.
I suspect this is part of the long, long history of English Canada schooling the French. Quebec prides itself on its consumer protection laws-- the reason most of us outside Quebec have heard "offer not valid in Quebec" since childhood. The problem stems from the terms of cancellation. If you're going to bill someone in Quebec you have to bill them upfront, not wait for 30 days (or a year!) until they've forgotten they're going to be charged. English Canada, like the US, considers this fair play. The Quebecois do not.

And yes, the Star's website specifically says, that if you cancel, you must prepay entire introductory period, even though you lose access at the end of the month. So you can't just sign up and cancel and not worry about being. billed again. Usually, first-month-free offers are reconciled with Quebec laws by offering Quebeckers two-months-for the price of one, billed upfront. The Star could likely reconcile their offer by honoring the full one-year access of the introductory period. Instead, they choose not to be a national paper. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯