Expired Hot Deals

[Toronto Star] Toronto Star digital subscription 40% off ($8.99/month, annual sub)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2019 12:00 pm
[OP]
Newbie
May 3, 2005
40 posts
29 upvotes

Toronto Star digital subscription 40% off ($8.99/month, annual sub)

Deal Link:
Price:
8.99
Savings:
40% off
Expiry:
March 30, 2019
Retailer:
Toronto Star
Until March 30, get an annual digital subscription to TheStar.com for $8.99/month. That's 40% off the regular price of $14.99/month.

(Note: once your year is up, the annual subscription will auto-renew at the regular price of $14.99/month. Cancelling costs you a termination fee equal to the rest of the year.)
58 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 7, 2007
10371 posts
1682 upvotes
let's put aside Toronto Star's obvious bias and other flaws as a news media...

you can get Apple News with tons more media for slightly more.. this is pretty horrible deal.

Also.. auto renewel, wtf?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1880 posts
4013 upvotes
Markham
kingofwale wrote: let's put aside Toronto Star's obvious bias and other flaws as a news media...

you can get Apple News with tons more media for slightly more.. this is pretty horrible deal.

Also.. auto renewel, wtf?
Not everyone has an Apple device.
Member
User avatar
Apr 2, 2015
325 posts
434 upvotes
Siberia
An online publication has the nerve to charge the same price as let's say Netflix per month? What the...
Member
Jan 15, 2005
255 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the post OP. It would be great for some people who read the newspaper.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1211 posts
565 upvotes
Oakville
Didn’t federal government drop $595 million, 5 year funding commitment to journalism organizations. Therefore, since our taxes are already paying for it. It should be free.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 13, 2013
903 posts
684 upvotes
Whether you’re a fan of the Star or not, I’d say for those who have an Apple device, the recently launched Apple News is a much better value. $12.99 a month and you get the Star plus access to over 300 magazines (and back issues). It also has a free 30 day trial, can be shared with family and is month to month.
Member
Nov 18, 2008
308 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
If you have a library card, you can get the Star digital (plus many others) free using the PressReader app.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 25, 2009
4312 posts
1330 upvotes
Moncton
Wasp14 wrote: Whether you’re a fan of the Star or not, I’d say for those who have an Apple device, the recently launched Apple News is a much better value. $12.99 a month and you get the Star plus access to over 300 magazines (and back issues). It also has a free 30 day trial, can be shared with family and is month to month.
$13-$9 = $4 a month. For advertising (and government) supported magazines, that's alot. Maclean's magazine, for example, is only $1 a month. And that's the print edition!
https://magazines.rogers.com/product/magazine/MME

That being said, I'm a long time Texture subscriber and I will continue the hand over my money to the new owners (Apple). Although my bathroom breaks would be much shorter if I didn't. :)

If you know someone who subscribes to PressReader, get them to share their password as it includes The Toronto Star. I was grandfathered on their $10 a month price (originally a BellMobility promo).
Last edited by MonctonMan on Mar 27th, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 13, 2013
903 posts
684 upvotes
jkhan wrote: If you have a library card, you can get the Star digital (plus many others) free using the PressReader app.
I actually wasn’t aware of that, thanks for the tip!
Sr. Member
Feb 2, 2014
529 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
Canada has one of the lowest rates of people paying for news, so while this isn't a good deal vs. Apple News, please pay for news somehow.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 25, 2009
4312 posts
1330 upvotes
Moncton
jkhan wrote: If you have a library card, you can get the Star digital (plus many others) free using the PressReader app.
Toronto library card. The vast majority of well read people don't live in Toronto. :)
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/det ... &R=EDB0195
Last edited by MonctonMan on Mar 27th, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 25, 2009
4312 posts
1330 upvotes
Moncton
tjindersingh wrote: Canada has one of the lowest rates of people paying for news, so while this isn't a good deal vs. Apple News, please pay for news somehow.
Well, technically you already are via taxes (CBC), your cable bill and by buying products you have seen advertised on news sites/free newspapers.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Member
May 18, 2007
254 posts
416 upvotes
Their "paywall" is a joke and can be easily disabled with dev tools in your browser from the client side. At least globe and mail programmed it properly by disabling it from the server side.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 25, 2009
4312 posts
1330 upvotes
Moncton
PrimaryTech wrote: Didn’t federal government drop $595 million, 5 year funding commitment to journalism organizations. Therefore, since our taxes are already paying for it. It should be free.
By that kind of logic Via Rail, subways, GM cars, Toyota cars and oil, amongst many other products, would all be free.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 25, 2009
4312 posts
1330 upvotes
Moncton
Jone19 wrote: An online publication has the nerve to charge the same price as let's say Netflix per month? What the...
In Toronto, there are hundreds of hours of TV and movies available for free each week over the air with a $5 antenna. Not sure $14 a month Netflix (which is by the way more than $9) should be your reference point for anything.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1880 posts
4013 upvotes
Markham
PrimaryTech wrote: Didn’t federal government drop $595 million, 5 year funding commitment to journalism organizations. Therefore, since our taxes are already paying for it. It should be free.
Look, I know this is a deals website so no one wants to pay more than they have to, but please think about the importance of an independent press. Do we really want a news industry that’s completely paid for by the government? Where if the press publishes something the ruling party doesn’t like, the government can just cut off funding?

This is the definition of penny wise, pound foolish.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1075 posts
852 upvotes
Also available in Vaughan libraries
Member
Feb 13, 2007
266 posts
46 upvotes
Cheaper than the Family Day promo they ran this year at $9.99/m for a year (which I grabbed, they carry news relevant to my job)

Only thing that I’m not a fan of is some of their other “sections” of the electronic paper are pretty thin (the Autos section is a prime example of this)

NefCanuck
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1211 posts
565 upvotes
Oakville
Dave510 wrote: Look, I know this is a deals website so no one wants to pay more than they have to, but please think about the importance of an independent press. Do we really want a news industry that’s completely paid for by the government? Where if the press publishes something the ruling party doesn’t like, the government can just cut off funding?

This is the definition of penny wise, pound foolish.
Don’t fool yourself each industry is influenced by the Feds in one way or another. Journalism historically has always taken sides politically, it’s watered down journalism anyhow.

I certainly would never pay for it.

Top