Travel

Toronto to Sydney Australia direct flight...

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2018 9:03 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11177 posts
9662 upvotes

Toronto to Sydney Australia direct flight...

So checking Air Canada and shocked to see a TOronto to Syndey DIRECT flight -- 22 HOURS! YES 22 FRICKIN HOURS!!!!

Checking online the longest flight is apparently Doha to Auckland at over 17 hours.... this makes no sense to me.

Checking Aircanada.com ... didnt see any layovers and says direct.

Anyone know if this is a new route? Also on the way back the direct flight clocks just over 19 hours.

This is easily a new world record in flight... Im shocked not reading it anywhere online, anyone know about the route??! 22 hours in the air seems an awful long time.
36 replies
Dec 7, 2003
864 posts
103 upvotes
Direct does not equal non-stop. That flight stops in Vancouver before continuing to Sydney.
May 10, 2015
274 posts
86 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
As far as I know, the flight stops at Vancouver for fuel.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25465 posts
4607 upvotes
Even if that was possible, I couldn't even imagine being on a plane that long. I'd rather stop and get off to stretch my legs and just get a change of scenery.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36185 posts
10326 upvotes
Ottawa
Been on the Vancouver to Sydney ass draggin 15 hour flight....thankfully in Executive First but it is still one loooong flight. Walking through the aircraft to stretch m legs near the end of the flight, the aircraft looked like it had a teenagers sleep over :)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11177 posts
9662 upvotes
Checking aircanada.com they have a direct, then they have another one with a stop in Vancouver... so this is why it's confusing me.

Maybe like someone mentioned the direct means stopping for fuel, but some passengers stay in the plane, while others come on from Vancouver... even then thats tough to sit on a plane for 22 hours unless your in business class.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1311 posts
776 upvotes
Ottawa
I've been on this flight about six times.
Passengers who are travelling Toronto to Sydney get off in Vancouver, zip around to the gate waiting area, and reboard about an hour later, joined by the passengers joining in Vancouver. It is functionally equivalent to taking one flight from Toronto to Vancouver, and then a different flight Vancouver to Toronto.

The only difference vs completely separate flights is i) same flight number, ii) mileage accrual as if you flew great circle route Toronto-Sydney, which is a bit less than Toronto-Vancouver-Sydney, iii) generally you will keep same seat, iv) if in executive class, you have a pod seat for the Toronto to Vancouver part as well (some of the Toronto Vancouver flights have domestic business seats instead).

To my knowledge there are no 20+ hour actual nonstop flights anywhere. Air Canada has a couple flights in the ~15 hr range like Vancouver-Sydney (and also the Toronto-Hong Kong nonstop), as do a bunch of other airlines. Singapore Air used to have an 18+ hour nonstop Singapore-Newark, which was actually quite bearable (business class seats only), and I think a few Middle Eastern airlines now have flights of a similar length to that too.
Feb 11, 2009
985 posts
239 upvotes
"Direct" in airline terms does not mean "direct" in real terms ;-)

"Non-Stop" in airline terms means "direct" in real terms.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22214 posts
167538 upvotes
GTA
Back in the early 90s, Singapore Airlines used to fly out of Toronto with the following routing:

YYZ-AMS-VIE-SIN

Not non-stop but it was considered a single flight and took upwards of 24 hours to fly.

Today, Air New Zealand flies LHR-LAX-AKL and again, while not non-stop, I would imagine it would take close to 24 hours to complete.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36185 posts
10326 upvotes
Ottawa
If you check the flights, you will see that the Toronto to Sydney flight is on AC 033, 22 hrs total flying time, but if you check further you will see the other flights connect up with AC 033 in Vancouver.
All flights fro TO to Sydney use AC 033 out of Vancouver.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12097 posts
2250 upvotes
Mississauga
I flew non-stop from Hong Kong to Toronto once, which I was not looking forward to. I think it's around 14 hours or so. Thankfully I slept for most of it.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1031 posts
334 upvotes
1 stop would be a dream. I did YYZ - LAX - AKL - SYD on the way there and SYD - AKL - YVR - YYZ back. Price was worth it though...
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36185 posts
10326 upvotes
Ottawa
blarg wrote: 1 stop would be a dream. I did YYZ - LAX - AKL - SYD on the way there and SYD - AKL - YVR - YYZ back. Price was worth it though...
One stop is in the Air Canada schedule. YYZ-YVR-SYD
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3470 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
One stop as noted. Direct and non-stop do not mean the same thing.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1415 upvotes
Toronto
We did YYZ-HKG-SYD with a full day stopover in HKG both ways - worked out really well :)
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1967 posts
858 upvotes
HK
Speaking of long flights, never go all out the night before. Ended up having food poison and the leg from HK-Toronto was miserable. Despite being in Cathay First, I didn't end up taking advantage of the food/drinks.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18562 posts
2928 upvotes
Langley
I flew the YVR-SYD portion once. Didn't get up the whole time. Just sat there and watched movies. Then connected on to Cairns. Pretty long day.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
5488 posts
3353 upvotes
Toronto
i6s1 wrote: I flew the YVR-SYD portion once. Didn't get up the whole time. Just sat there and watched movies. Then connected on to Cairns. Pretty long day.
not even to the lav?
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2598 posts
529 upvotes
Burlington
toguy wrote: Back in the early 90s, Singapore Airlines used to fly out of Toronto with the following routing:

YYZ-AMS-VIE-SIN

Not non-stop but it was considered a single flight and took upwards of 24 hours to fly.

Today, Air New Zealand flies LHR-LAX-AKL and again, while not non-stop, I would imagine it would take close to 24 hours to complete.
Yep, took that SA flight. Not fun.
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.