• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2019 9:39 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9960 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto
skeet50 wrote: You could - but you don't. Why don't you pay for a credit report?
I use an agent and he hasn't brought up this idea yet. I will discuss with him.

For us, our first screen filter is other things that's not credit report. And if all those check out, it usually means we have no indication why this person would be lying. Maybe that's why we haven't had to doubt their report credibility. So far, in 10 yrs or so, haven't had a bad financial tenant yet.

If I request one today, how long does it take to come back to me?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3526 posts
2882 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote: I use an agent and he hasn't brought up this idea yet. I will discuss with him.

For us, our first screen filter is other things that's not credit report. And if all those check out, it usually means we have no indication why this person would be lying. Maybe that's why we haven't had to doubt their report credibility. So far, in 10 yrs or so, haven't had a bad financial tenant yet.

If I request one today, how long does it take to come back to me?
With online access it is instant.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1263 posts
954 upvotes
HAMILTON
I think sometimes, people go a little overboard in their zeal to find the perfect tenant etc. Be a little realistic.

Credit check, do it yourself. Will be immediate doing on line.
Employer...... ask for proof of employment being a letter, pay stubs or something similar. Most employers will not give you the time of day if you call asking for info. You could be anybody and they do not want to be bothered by someone asking for info by phone, of which the info may be covered by privacy laws.
Linkdin, social media accounts...... who cares. You are renting an apartment not giving them a kidney or liver.

I have virtually no social presence. Don't need it, don't want it and so what. Does that make me a pariah ??? No, makes me someone who does not want to share their life with the whole world and values my privacy.

Be realistic and understanding in what you are looking for.

I am not a renter, I do rent one place to the same person for the last # of years without issue........
Jan 8, 2011
121 posts
76 upvotes
Ottawa
luckystrike1 wrote: I think sometimes, people go a little overboard in their zeal to find the perfect tenant etc. Be a little realistic.

Credit check, do it yourself. Will be immediate doing on line.
Employer...... ask for proof of employment being a letter, pay stubs or something similar. Most employers will not give you the time of day if you call asking for info. You could be anybody and they do not want to be bothered by someone asking for info by phone, of which the info may be covered by privacy laws.
Linkdin, social media accounts...... who cares. You are renting an apartment not giving them a kidney or liver.

I have virtually no social presence. Don't need it, don't want it and so what. Does that make me a pariah ??? No, makes me someone who does not want to share their life with the whole world and values my privacy.

Be realistic and understanding in what you are looking for.

I am not a renter, I do rent one place to the same person for the last # of years without issue........
I always get a credit check and verify their employment AND income. Social media or online presence is a big bonus (ie. a professor with a web page) but not always a deal breaker. In the end, it comes down to supply and demand. If I have dozens of people looking to rent my downtown condo, I'll definitely pick the person that appears to be the most established. With all the new rules, you can't evict someone easily. So if you make a mistake, you are in big trouble.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12594 posts
7827 upvotes
SWilliams2 wrote: I always get a credit check and verify their employment AND income. Social media or online presence is a big bonus (ie. a professor with a web page) but not always a deal breaker. In the end, it comes down to supply and demand. If I have dozens of people looking to rent my downtown condo, I'll definitely pick the person that appears to be the most established. With all the new rules, you can't evict someone easily. So if you make a mistake, you are in big trouble.
Yep. You can afford to be picky when you have people lining up to rent your place.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1343 posts
1318 upvotes
GTA
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: Here is my 2 cents.
My personal perspective is this is too much personal information, and for what? The privilege of renting LOL. So long as I give you first and last and 10 post dated cheque’s and an interview, that should be good enough.

I am fortunate to be in a position to buy property which is why I refuse to entertain the ridiculous asks by landlords.
I understand that the law is geared in favour of Tennants. But credit report, employer letter, references, bosses number, what car I drive, what are my plates .....lol forget all that noise I’m not applying for a mortgage..
Yes you are. Think about it.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12594 posts
7827 upvotes
Slono wrote: Yes you are. Think about it.
Let him believe that. He will have a hard time renting and if he finds a landlord desperate enough to not check these things then good luck to him.

All this information is required mainly because the rules are heavily in favour of the tenant. Landlord has everything to lose if they choose the wrong tenant. They could be ruined financially as it takes way to long to get rid of a non-paying tenant. Also tenants can destroy your place and nothing the landlord can do about it. So the landlord is going to do everything they can to vet the tenant. Nothing personal. Just business.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3082 posts
325 upvotes
Mississauga
Entire thread should be used a example of how single investors are impacting the rental market, there is no uniformity in terms of expectations, in 6 months the OP will be listing his unit on a Airbnb .
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2598 posts
1156 upvotes
olek86 wrote: Entire thread should be used a example of how single investors are impacting the rental market, there is no uniformity in terms of expectations, in 6 months the OP will be listing his unit on a Airbnb .
More like the thread should be used an example of whiny overly entitled forever renters.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1231 posts
1240 upvotes
Silver1234 wrote: How about giving us the location of some of the places that you have rented before.
He can’t. Hes to busy applying for credit cards without an employment check or credit check like he claimed in his earlier post.