Parenting & Family

Toronto Zoo's NEW Scenic Safari (BYOC, 45 minutes to an hour)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2020 4:23 am
[OP]
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
558 upvotes
M1C

Toronto Zoo's NEW Scenic Safari (BYOC, 45 minutes to an hour)

I support them, will be doing this with my younger family members.

Toronto Zoo's 'drive-thru experience' to open on Saturday
The Toronto Zoo's New Drive Thru-Experience Is Officially Opening This Saturday
Here are all the details on the Toronto Zoo's new drive-thru Scenic Safari

from http://www.torontozoo.com/scenicsafari
Take a drive on the wild side!

Looking to get out of the house for a safe adventure? Now you can with our NEW Toronto Zoo Scenic Safari. Take a tour around the Zoo from the comfort of your own car with your very own Zoo Keeper commentary to learn about animals as you pass through the variety of Zoogeographic areas!

You’ll see the Zoo from a whole new perspective as you drive on staff-only roads, through the Zoo site, and even through the lion cave! Keep your eyes peeled at every turn, like you are on a real-life African safari – only this time, it’s with a variety of animals from around the world!

What you need to know:
  • BYOC (Bring your own car) Vehicle dimensions must not exceed 7ft. high or 9ft. wide
  • Safari patrons will not be allowed to leave their car at any point during the Safari
  • Washrooms will only be available prior to the safari
  • The tour is approximately 45 mins
  • Listen to a guided audio tour during your Scenic Safari through our Wild For Life podcast!
    Apple Spotify Google
  • Please read the Scenic Safari Terms and Conditions

Car with 2 or less occupants
$44 Non-Member, $32 Member

Car with 3 or more occupants
$59 Non-Member, $47 Member

Tickets on sale May 22 at 11 a.m.
EYY5gWFWoAAVmTt.jpg
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3979 posts
1845 upvotes
Toronto
It's actually opening tomorrow, tickets for members went on sale today and I think they were overwhelmed with demand so added a ton more spots.

We got tickets for Friday. Our kids love the zoo so are looking forward to it. Great to finally get them out to an activity outside the house for the first time in months!
[OP]
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
558 upvotes
M1C
Richard Southern (680 News & CityNews) on what the tour will look like and how much it will cost.

Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1140 posts
515 upvotes
GTA
Was like 1000 in line today to purchase tickets and my husband gave up waiting... we have an annual membership and still had to wait!
This event will be popular.

I wonder why African Lion Safari is not doing something like this. I would drive 1.5 hrs to get out of our house for something fun.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1289 posts
633 upvotes
Surprised they had the drive through area by the lions. They need to give people driving tests or budget for damage repair for structures when people start to kiss the corners with their cars.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5050 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
Quite interested to go with the kids. Please post reviews if anyone going!
Jul 13, 2013
96 posts
153 upvotes
Whitby
Feel bad for the zoo pass folk. They paid money for a zoo pass that otherwise could grant you free admission, saves only $10 off the safari price?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4577 posts
2675 upvotes
Darkhorse6 wrote: Feel bad for the zoo pass folk. They paid money for a zoo pass that otherwise could grant you free admission, saves only $10 off the safari price?
Zoo is bleeding money badly, if you really care about Mr. Lion and Mrs Giraffe, pay up.

It's good to see the zoo being creative but I'm worried about if they have enough safety measures. What if someone with their overpowered SUV mixes up gas and brake pedals and rams something important or expensive.
Jan 13, 2007
490 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I think this is a great idea and deserves kudos for being creative and adaptive. When I first heard about this, I immediately thought of African Lion Safari. Looking up the total route distance, African Lion Safari is a 9 km trail while the Scenic Safari tour at the Toronto Zoo is 3.4 km. Even though it is a shorter overall experience, I think it would be great to revisit the zoo with a different perspective.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3979 posts
1845 upvotes
Toronto
Darkhorse6 wrote: Feel bad for the zoo pass folk. They paid money for a zoo pass that otherwise could grant you free admission, saves only $10 off the safari price?
I'm a long time zoo pass member and don't feel bad at all.
Firstly, all passes are on hold right now so no members are paying anything while it's closed down. All days lost will be added onto the passes once zoo re-opens again.
And secondly, as mentioned the zoo is losing money like crazy now but still has big bills to pay to feed/care for all the animals, and as a non-profit organization doesn't have big stores of cash reserves to draw from. So I don't mind paying a bit for this safari tour thing since it genuinely supports them.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
618 upvotes
DT Calgary
If parks are opening, why not open the Zoo? Enforce social distancing and the use of masks, I don't see how this would be any different?
Mar 3, 2005
321 posts
180 upvotes
We went. Love to support a great cause like this but wasn't that great. Didnt see the lions or the giraffe. Did see plenty ducks though..the one tiger and 2 rhinos were great to see, albeit for a brief moment. Still a nice getaway for a sat aft.
:cheesygri
May 21, 2012
256 posts
194 upvotes
Burlington
Tickets for June 8-14 were released today.
FreshCo wrote: If parks are opening, why not open the Zoo? Enforce social distancing and the use of masks, I don't see how this would be any different?
There are a lot of buildings at the zoo that would be problematic.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2320 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto
lolopie wrote: We went. Love to support a great cause like this but wasn't that great. Didnt see the lions or the giraffe. Did see plenty ducks though..the one tiger and 2 rhinos were great to see, albeit for a brief moment. Still a nice getaway for a sat aft.
1) Do you get a chance to stop for a minute at every animal enclosure to take a picture?

2) How long did the drive through take?

3) Would you do it again?

Thanks. I was thinking of going and I'm hoping the demand will die down a bit in a couple of weeks.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Mar 3, 2005
321 posts
180 upvotes
1. Yes but the jerk behind was trying to rush us..you are not supposed to stop at all but its impossible to see the animals if you do not stop for a min as the exhibits are so small. You would miss the animals. Keep in mind the max speed is 5km/hr.
2. Its about 50- 60 mins.
3. Unlikely but if the zoo is closed through the summer we would only to support them.

We dont regret it..if you have small kids its an exciting drive. We are two adults with a bun in the oven so was just ok. Still worth an afternoon though.
:cheesygri
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21725 posts
24852 upvotes
Toronto
FreshCo wrote: If parks are opening, why not open the Zoo? Enforce social distancing and the use of masks, I don't see how this would be any different?
challenges are the bathrooms, restaurants, and pavilions. they need staff to monitor visitor volume and control attendance at all those. Likely not enough staff available unless they start using volunteers.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
753 upvotes
lolopie wrote: 1. Yes but the jerk behind was trying to rush us..you are not supposed to stop at all but its impossible to see the animals if you do not stop for a min as the exhibits are so small.
We were lucky and everyone was chill in our line of cars. I think in this situation I would speak to one of the attendants spaced throughout the drive and ask them to let the impatient person pass me.

My overall notes: There are washrooms, snacks, and a gift shop in the parking lot on the way in - - all meticulously cleaned and socially distanced.

The tour takes 45 - 60 minutes and on the way out you could pull back into the entry parking lot to use the facilities again if need be.

You load the tour podcast on to your phone, and there are signed spots where you start the tour description for each point on the tour.

We enjoyed the tour, but we have been to the zoo many times in the past. If this is your first trip to the zoo, you might be disappointed by how few animals you see and how far away they are. But for us, it was cool to drive through the walking paths and the staff back roads where you never get to go. It's a "behind-the-scenes" tour that reminded me of Door Open Toronto where you get to see the non-public areas.