CDI Torque Wrenches - TorqueProducts.ca Sale 65% off

Deal Link:
Savings:
57%
Expiry:
April 30, 2020
Retailer:
Torque Products Canada
CDI is a brand / subsidiary of Snap-on Tools. They are carried carried at Amazon through 3rd party seller higher than these sale prices.
For ease:

Torque Products is an authorized rep / distributor of CDI and they're having some sort of "Q2 Sale". There's not expiry date. So while this isn't a flaming hot deal, this is purchase of a quality tool through the authorized sales channel (ie full warranty etc). Honestly don't know how often these go on sale as these are primarily industrial tools used by trades, so would appreciate feedback on how "hot" a deal this is.

1/2" torque wrench:
https://www.torqueproductscanada.ca/mm5 ... =2503MFRMH
CDI Regular price: $394.87
Sale Price: $169.23 (~43% of original)

3/8"
https://www.torqueproductscanada.ca/mm5 ... e=7502MRMH
CDI Regular price: $317.13
Sale Price: $135.91 (~43% of original)

Shipping for me (in Toronto) was an additional $18bucks.

They also have split-beam style wrenches too for sale.

G
Thread Summary
The Q2 sale runs online until June 30, but you can order directly from them at sale prices until July 31.

Phone for direct orders: 1-800-263-9244

You can also do local pickup if you call in. The address is in Hamilton, ON, but actually is closer to Burlington.
39 replies
May 5, 2017
437 posts
151 upvotes
They look great but definitely over the top to change my tires. I bet they're great if you're working on cars, I could have used it when fixing my old civic
Dec 31, 2005
296 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
Great prices for these 'buy once' tools. Do you know if they offer support/warranty? I'm just thinking in terms calibration down the line.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2818 posts
1055 upvotes
Oh damn, the 3/8 is really tempting. The +/- 4% when working on small motor parts can be make it or break it. Not so much on the 1/2”.

Hmmm may have to flip a coin on this one.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9583 posts
3830 upvotes
These are great wrenches. We have been using the to build hydro transformers for many years. They get used 100s of times a day, for years and never go out of tolerance. The only reason I ever need to replace them is due to operator damage.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15025 posts
6427 upvotes
Ottawa
fullyreclined wrote: Great prices for these 'buy once' tools. Do you know if they offer support/warranty? I'm just thinking in terms calibration down the line.
I'd like to know......,

Does the company offer a calibration service? Is it easy to send it to them to get a calibrated? WIth these kind of "buy once" tools, being able to get it serviced after the sale is the most important part.

I'm pretty sure Canadian Tire would tell me to find a third party calibration service if I wanted to get my Motormaster torque wrench calibrated. It might be cheaper to buy a new one though.
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
[OP]
Apr 1, 2011
52 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
As far as I know calibration is not part of the warranty:

https://www.snaponindustrialbrands.com/ ... rranty.pdf

https://www.snaponindustrialbrands.com/ ... ations.pdf

Anecdotally though - the reason why you purchase a CDI / SnapOn tool is because they stay within spec for much longer than competitors. And I only use casually -- not nearly as often as many industrial shops (10's to 100's of cycles a day -- I'm closer to 10's of cycles a year). I've had my Mastercrap one for about 6 years now, so it was time for an upgrade for me.

G
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20092 posts
4630 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
warpdrive wrote:
I'd like to know......,

Does the company offer a calibration service? Is it easy to send it to them to get a calibrated? WIth these kind of "buy once" tools, being able to get it serviced after the sale is the most important part.
Yes, last time I checked, their facility is in Dundas, Ontario. It was a few years ago, but the cost was about $35.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4163 posts
2700 upvotes
My Tekton torque wrench manual says to store it at it's lowest setting. Does that mean 0 ft-lbs or as far past that as the handle will turn?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3169 posts
1661 upvotes
West Coast
Any torque sticks? I looked (briefly) and couldn't find any.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3169 posts
1661 upvotes
West Coast
SizzleChest wrote: My Tekton torque wrench manual says to store it at it's lowest setting. Does that mean 0 ft-lbs or as far past that as the handle will turn?
Any low torque setting is fine. Anything below 75% is a good storage rate from what I've heard in the past. I store line around 50% from the usual setting just in case.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2609 posts
1920 upvotes
North York
SizzleChest wrote: My Tekton torque wrench manual says to store it at it's lowest setting. Does that mean 0 ft-lbs or as far past that as the handle will turn?
a little lower than 0 ft-lb, The point is to not put any load on the springs.

The information above is not fully correct. Please see edit for correction.

EDIT: Storing a fully loaded torque wrench can result in a set in the spring, weakening the spring over time. But if you completely offload the spring to the zero setting, other components within the wrench may move a little. And in the world of torque, a little is a lot. Reapplying spring compression will shift orientation of these components, affecting accuracy.
Last edited by KiraSensei on Apr 7th, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4163 posts
2700 upvotes
KiraSensei wrote: a little lower than 0 ft-lb, The point is to not put any load on the springs.
Funny, I guess I've never turned my torque wrench below 0 before. I just noticed there actually is a line a few turns below 0 that it is meant to be stored at. Thanks.
Aug 21, 2011
121 posts
135 upvotes
Montreal
SizzleChest wrote: Funny, I guess I've never turned my torque wrench below 0 before. I just noticed there actually is a line a few turns below 0 that it is meant to be stored at. Thanks.
This is for their 25-250 ft.-lb model, but I imagine it's the same for all their torque wrenches. Notice the "Do not turn handle below lowest torque setting"
I believe I have the 10-150 ft.-lb model and always store it at 10 ft.-lb
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4163 posts
2700 upvotes
dinah05 wrote: Image
This is for their 25-250 ft.-lb model, but I imagine it's the same for all their torque wrenches. Notice the "Do not turn handle below lowest torque setting"
After some recent googling, I believe what "lowest torque setting" refers to is what the indicator scale goes down to on your particular torque wrench. In your pic, I'm assuming that if the handle were turned below 25 ft-lbs, the indicator scale would not show anything below that. Therefore, it should be stored at 25 ft-lbs.

Why in your pic it is 25 ft-lbs though and my Tekton scale goes down to 0 ft-lbs with a storage line below that, I do not know why. I also have a 3/8" drive Tekton wrench that goes down to 120 in-lbs but no lower and no storage setting line like on my 1/2" drive torque wrench.

EDIT: I did some digging and found my user's manual for my 1/2" torque wrench. It does say to store at lowest torque setting and shows a picture of the indicator scale at 10 ft-lbs (my wrench is rated for 10-150 ft. lbs) so it would appear that what I wrote above is incorrect. @dinah05 is spot-on with his post. I wonder what the line below 0 is meant for then?
Last edited by SizzleChest on Apr 7th, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2609 posts
1920 upvotes
North York
dinah05 wrote: Image
Thanks. I've been told to not apply tension to the spring during storage and I guess that's incorrect. I've updated my original post after some googling.
Mar 25, 2006
239 posts
132 upvotes
For anyone looking for split-beam style wrenches, look for Precision Instruments wrenches on Amazon. Much more affordable, by a former Snap-on OEM. For lower torque ranges, there is the C2FR600H from Precision instruments with a 100-600 in. lb range in 3/8 drive. You can get it on ebay for around $135 US, shipped.

Edit: FYI, one benefit of split-beam style wrenches is that you don't need to reset them to the lowest torque setting for storage