• Aug 29th, 2020 12:10 am
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
322 posts
95 upvotes
Ottawa

Torque wrench calibration

Hey guys,
Has anyone ever gotten their torque wrenches re-calibrated or re-adjusted? I have a few that I use for working on the car/bikes and I'm suspicious that the settings are not quite right when I use them.
I've done a quick google, and there are some labs that could do it in Ottawa, but from other websites I've seen, it could cost $50 or so to get it calibrated/re-certified. Might be worth while or just buy a new one.
Anyone have experience with this?
8 replies
Jun 4, 2020
203 posts
160 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Think this depends on the wrench. A high quality snap on wrench (or similar) may be worth it. The $100 unit from Canadian tire that I use to torque 8 tires twice a year...
Mar 5, 2018
218 posts
99 upvotes
I think you can DIY, it's quite easy, there are several videos on youtube like this one:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8612 posts
3045 upvotes
TomShopper wrote: I think you can DIY, it's quite easy, there are several videos on youtube like this one:
This kind of thing is fine for DIY wrenches, were +/-10% is fine. Like tire changes.

I would not recommend this for any industrial manufacturing though. I keep all the wrenches +/- 2% at our factories, but we deal with torques were somtimes 10in-lbs too low means an an oil leak and 10in-lbs too much means a cracked nut.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
322 posts
95 upvotes
Ottawa
TomShopper wrote: I think you can DIY, it's quite easy, there are several videos on youtube like this one:
Thanks @TomShopper I'll give this a try.
Jun 10, 2008
447 posts
323 upvotes
Halton Hills
Many many years ago I worked in a Costco tire shop. We had a digital reader to check the torque wrenches daily. I would check wrenches for a few customer who I know well. It was for 50ftlbs+. Doesn't hurt to ask if you shop there.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1342 posts
609 upvotes
Ontario
How do you know that cheap luggage scale is accurate? I'd trust the wrench over that any day lol...

We used to send our wrenches out at the last shop I worked at, and we'd send our Canadian Tire ones etc from home as well then, no issues yet...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8612 posts
3045 upvotes
thisischris wrote: Many many years ago I worked in a Costco tire shop. We had a digital reader to check the torque wrenches daily. I would check wrenches for a few customer who I know well. It was for 50ftlbs+. Doesn't hurt to ask if you shop there.
How often was the standard calibrated?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15110 posts
16088 upvotes
Oakville
IcarusLSC wrote: How do you know that cheap luggage scale is accurate? I'd trust the wrench over that any day lol...

We used to send our wrenches out at the last shop I worked at, and we'd send our Canadian Tire ones etc from home as well then, no issues yet...
Yea, I've checked my cheap CT wrench on the pro calibration tool used in assembly plants. That 10 year old CT wrench was damn near perfect. Of course I handle and store it properly.
At auto factories, most secures are only specified for +/-10% of the final torque value, so a wheel secure at 100ft-lbs would pass anywhere from 90-110ft-lbs.